“Great central city location, reasonably priced, lovely rooms.”

Rydges Melbourne Hotel
Ranked #76 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“Great central city location, reasonably priced, lovely rooms.”
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

The foyer is lovely and modern furnishings with a fireplace and nooks to sit and have a chat. Stayed on 7th floor, city view. Room was 1br with a jaccuzi, loungeroom & walk in robe. Mini bar drinks could have more variety. Carpet, lounge and heater should be upgraded as look dated. Room was very spacious & comfy.

Room service has a $4 tray charge which for a Hotel I believe is wrong especially with room service charges.

Reception doesnt answer their phone often.

All up is a great hotel to stay in as a business traveller.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank ascheef
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for the comments on your stay, we have the suite sbeing upgraded at the end of October so will hopefully address some of the tire items you have noted with your room. The mini bars were only recently changed but will always have room for further tweaking if needed, and appreciate the feedback on this area. Glad you enjoyed the location and may see you back again.

David Bornmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We had a great stay at Rydges, however, our room 1701 is next to the lift well. So every time a lift went past our room, it made our room very noisy and the windows shook and rattled. Every other part of our stay from reception, breakfast and staff was brilliant. Just wished we stayed in another room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your note on the lift noise, I assure you we have spoken at length with the lift ocntractor who are going to fix this issue to ensure it does not continue, in the meantime we still lock off the lifts overnight so they have less impact on guests stay, obvioulsy this did not help in your situation which I apologise for.

St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The Rydges Hotel on Exhibiton Street is actually quite nice. I was actually very surprised about the rooms and the location. I had a great welcome and my room was amazing. I couldnt complain. I was on a business trip and i had no troubles finding it, right in Melbourne downtown. My favourite was the Locanda Restaurant though, its attached to the Hotel. Besides the filthy plates, the Wagyu Steak i had was very amazing, best in a long time. Also the Service was outstanding, Thanks to Josh btw he has done an awesome job and it really makes a difference if you are served by a nice, positive and bubbly character, he certainly made my day! I can strongly recommend the Rydges for any kind of trips.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Appreciated the detail in your review and will address the item noted on the plates, glad other aspects and the team were able to ensure you enjoyed your stay overall.

Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

i stay here regularly on business. The rates are good, the location is very central. the rooms are neat and tidy, although the bathrooms could be spruced up a bit. Breakfast is a real treat - good selection at a well stocked buffet -lots of stylish touches. I highly recommend for the business traveller.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Pleased to see we tick most of the boxes for your needs when staying with us. The breakfast offerings has been a great improvement for the hotel as witnessed with the many comments on the buffet from the reviews we receive. I hope we see you back with use again.

Bendigo, Australia
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Our first stay using a gift voucher was a disaster with booking messed up resulting iin a tiny cubby hole room- it was a Murphy's Law weekend all round- things continued to be wrong right through to checkout next morning. However, after contacting the hotel, a replacement gift voucher allowed us to repeat the night in the comfortable queen spa suite originally booked... What a contrast! Didn't quite make up for our lost celebration weekend, but we appreciated the effort made by the hotel to ensure everything was just right second time around. The hotel is aging. Having experienced both types of rooms, definitely book a better room for the few extra dollars. Our room was very noisy (Saturday night crowd on the street below). Breakfast is a treat with an Egg Chef making dishes to order- omelettes a specialty. In the heart of CBD, close to transport, theatre, restaurants and sports venues. Well priced. Parking available.

2 Thank CandJ60
Was pleasing to see we were able to make up for your past experience with your more recent stay and the team were able to change your mind on the hotel generally. Certainly hope we can continue to perfrom consistently in the future when you stay with us.

Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

I stay at this hotel regularly for work. The rooms are generally always clean and the staff are lovely. I would like to highlight one staff members efforts. I heckled out and was checking in for my flight out of Melbourne when I realized I left my purse in the room! I rang the hotel quite frantic as I wondered how I was going to get my purse , the staff member told me that he was about to sign off his shift and he would drive it out to the airport for neater his shift ended (at 7 in the mor ing which means he has been working all night). And he did just that, dropping the purse to me at the airport. I he refused to take money I offered him as I knew he went out of his way. I wish I got his name. This level of care and service is rarely ever seen or appreciated these days. Thank you so much rydges, I am definitely a promoter now. You choose great people to look after your hotel and your customers

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Sechysgirl
I was actually away on leave the week that this was written, but it was brought to my attention by my team and I was so happy to read of this experience that I copied in the company MD as it is such a fine example of the Rydges Core Values of execeeding guest expectations that I thought it was worth sharing! We certainly will make a fuss of Travis our Manager on Duty who acted in such a selfless way to assist you during this stressful time, I can imagine it would have been very unpleasant finding you had left your purse behind when you were about to depart the city. Thank you for taking the time to share this with readers, Travis is so modest he hadn't actually advised anyone of his actions so would have gone unrewarded!

mossvale
Reviewed August 9, 2012

easy drive from airport 30 min down the freeway great roads check in good friendly parking also good we stayed on the 7th floor no veiws from the room king spa suite which is a good size plenty of room has a lounge room seperated by a wall the beds are great the bathroom very big the spa disapointing as the jets didnt work as they should have the handy man did come and have a look turned the jets upwords but didnt make much difference the resturant is lovely great food and service we had breakfast,lunch,dinner over the 4 days easy walk to the heart of cbd 30 min walk to the crown casino the decor needs upgrading but would stay there every time we are in melbourne always a good stay

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your plesant review and am pleased to advise that the suite refurbishment is scheduled for late October this year so we will have the rooms looking ship-shape by Christmas, which is very exciting news for us. I will ensure the spa baths are looked at on the 7th floor as it sounds like a pumo issue if its not working correctly.

Hope we see you again.