“Amazing”

Ranked #79 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane, Australia
“Amazing”
Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

After an average holiday in Hobart we stayed for two nights at Rydges Melbourne. This hotel is great. We arrived earlier than expected and asked if we could leave our bags in their storage. To our surprise the lovely lady said she would check us in early (this could have been because a rude customer pushed in front of us to have a rant and rave about the air conditioning and we just smiled and not caused a fuss). We were on the top floor (2204 I think) and the view from the room was great. The room was huge!!!! Loved it. The bed was fantastic, air con was fine (nudge nudge to the person who whinged as we were checking in :P). Also great was the chocolates and wine which I forgot we had ordered surprisingly turning up to our room. A well run and classy place. Keep up the good work.

Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Nathaen M
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
It was so pleasing to get your comments from a senior reveiwer who had such a positive experience with us. I was really pleased that the team looked after you with your early check in, so often you find hotels sticking by the rules of not allowing you to check in until 2pm even when they have rooms available because 'that's the rules'! Hopefully your experience will be something that is shared by other travellers, as we certainly do our best to make the Melbourne experience a great one.

David Bornmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Canberra
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I’m a big fan of Rydges Melbourne. It’s got everything you need at a reasonable price, and the last two times I’ve travelled to Melbourne, I’ve really looked forward to staying there.

The reservation staff on the phone are friendly, and for the second time in six months, she was accommodating enough to knock the price down to within a few dollars of my work’s meagre travel allowance, which really is saying something.

First impressions are pretty good with a stylish lobby and efficient reception staff. There’s never a problem storing bags, although sometimes a missing in action concierge leaves it to those on the front desk. But nothing’s ever too hard.

Granted the rooms are small, but well laid out and very comfortable. It’s a contemporary décor, but is somehow really cosy. I love it, it’s what Melbourne feels like to me. The bed is fantastic with a nice, firm mattress. I always have a great sleep. The bathroom is a bit pokey though, but nothing too bad. However, do prepare yourself for truly weak water pressure in the shower.

The air conditioning system is probably due for an upgrade. During my last stay I had the cooling right down to 18, and while it did blow a gale, I still felt a bit hot and bothered. And the next morning when I went out into the hall, the refreshing cool signalled just how clapped out my room’s unit really was.

Nonetheless, the highlight is the food. My workmate wouldn’t shut up about how good the room service steak was, and the restaurant downstairs consistently delivered a first rate buffet breakfast and a la carte lunch service the last two times I stayed there.

The location’s great, right on the edge of Chinatown and within walking distance of the Flinders St Station, and plenty of cabs milling about on the median just out the front. There’s quite a few restaurants, cafes and pubs nearby with a convenience store on the next block, and a theatre on the other side.

I’ll definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
It was really good to read of your warm comments on your experience at the hotel, I will try to track down your details to see what room you stayed in as the AC doesnt sound like its working! The water pressure comment also was a concern as we normally dont have issues with this and sounds like the head needs replacing. The positive comments on the food in room service and the Locanda restaurant was really good as this is what I am always hoping to get from guests as I think the team down there do such a great job on providing better than expected quality. I hope we see you back here again and feel free to let me know more if you return!

Florida
Reviewed April 21, 2012

The room itself was ok, the bathroom was tired, the type you wouldn't take a bath in. The hallway was very run down, there were sections that had rough plastering and mismatching paint jobs, more like a youth hostel. The reception staff we spoke to were polite but not helpful. We asked about how to get tram tickets etc and she had no idea and didn't offer to find out!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay, it was terrible to read that there were maintenance issues with the floor you were on, I can imagine your impression would not be great when seeing mix match paint in corridors. The front desk not only have tram tickets, they are part of our Footy Package, so I am not sure why they couldnt get some for you, they are just out the back! I have passed on your comments to the front desk to ensure they are aware of the feedback we receive when they have this poor atttitude on front desk. They certainly know better and generally do better with our guests.

Adelaide
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I went to Melbourne for the weekend with my fiance for a nice getaway for my birthday (we often do this and love to get away) and stayed in the Rydges. First issue was that the Rydges Membership Card signup wouldn't work and I ended up calling direct for help with this (and have called 3 times since and still haven't received a membership card but can't sign up because I apparently have an account) and to no avail, noone seems to be able to rectify this simple problem. Despite this I ended up booking over the phone instead of online and they were lovely and even allowed us to have our breakfast deal on the day we arrive instead of the day we leave to accomodate our early bird cheap flights. This is where the good service ended.
Upon check in someone started to check us in then walked off in the middle of serving us to take a call, then said we needed to wait and then served someone else entirely and we had to re-line up and deal with someone else (Customer service 101 - serve the person you are serving FIRST!). We then went up to our King room which was okay except that when you open the bathroom door it hits the toilet bowl, not the most roomy of designs. The tv wouldn't work properly on most channels and the ones that did work were fuzzy so we went out to watch the Soccer (that we'd hoped to watch in our room). We went down to the bar first for a drink and watched the staff stand around chatting to each other for 20 mins before we were finally served. We called at one point in the afternoon for room service but it rang out 3 times so we gave up and went out to eat instead but we really just wanted to relax in our room.
Every morning at breakfast the chef doing the omelettes looked so pissed off, we didn't dare go over to get one, and the staff milled around chatting to what I presume were regulars and we got zero attention, service or even explanation of what was what. My fiance had to yell to someone that they were out of bowls and clean glasses (and it was only 9am).
While the faciliities and decor were new and stylish the overall service level seemed to be "we don't give a toss" and we've stayed in enough hotels wordwide and in Australia to know this isn't normal. I did put in an official complaint with them and got a generic web response not really apologising or acknowledging our disappointment. I only hope they have improved things since our visit. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kim L
I was shocked and very disappointed reading your comments on the service your experienced during your stay and the disinterest some of the staff showed by their private chats that you witnessed that seemed to be more important than being aware of guest needs and doing their jobs. I can appreciate your attitude to the hotel was not positive after this experience, but assure you the team are very committed to their work and generally get good feedback from guests on their genuine attentiveness. It would seem they may require some attention to get them back on track from the management and do so by leading by example. I hope we do see you back with use again if coming to Melbourne.

Sydney, Aust
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We went to Melbourne for the flower show end of March & stayed at Rydges Melbourne. We bought a zoo package which gave us 2 entry tickets to the zoo and also buffet breakfast each morning. Great value, hotel was well located, staff were friendly, helpful & efficient.

• Stayed March 2012
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Always nice to read a positve experience of someone's stay in particular a senior contributor. The Zoo package has been pretty propular, we will probably be replacing this over winter with the Footy Package as this is very good value as well. Our location in close proximity of the MCG, Rod Laver and only a short ride to Etihad is very benefical for sporting enthusiasts...you can park your car under the hotel and just walk or use public transport to get around the CBD....Melbourne during Autumn and Winter is fantastic!

Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 11, 2012 via mobile

Good check-in experience generally but person seemed a bit inexperienced and fumbled a bit. Good thing there was another person behind the desk.

Room was good but nothing out of the ordinary. Tends to be a bit noisey. Can hear next door going to the toilet, which is a little off-putting. Cleanliness is generally. Bed is comfortable.

Stayed April 2012
Appreciate the comments from a senior contributor who spends their time sharing their reviews of properties with other travellers. The location is a strong point for the hotel, hopefully we will continue to add to the experience to highlight other positives moving forward.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stayed at Rydges Melbourne for the Easter long weekend! I joined with Rydges Priority club seeing that they had very cheap deals with breakfast. We booked the Queen Deluxe Room with breakfast, it was cheap and we were looking forward too! We arrived at the hotel, the interior is quite nice since im assuming they just went through a renovation. The renovation was done with cutting corners. All the exterior stuff was new but the interior stuff was old and dated! The employees were friendly!
When we arrived to the room, my partner and I actually argued about the fact that the bed looked smaller than a Queen! The bathroom was tiny and the door slams the toilet bowl!
As a test for the bed we actually measured it with the length of the iphone and went accross the bed to find out that the bed was a double bed, to the exact cms! I was extremely dissapointed! They LIED about the room type on the website! Is this even allowed? We ended up sleeping the one night, it was the most uncomfortable sleep i had ever encountered! Therefore the next morning we rang and told front desk and they told us that, that is there queen bed and they may be smaller than the standard size queen bed! How ridiculous! What kind of standards does this hotel have? Anyways we had to upgrade because we couldnt sleep comfortably in the bed, therefore they offered an upgrade for $20 extra night (which should of been for free) for a king room, we had no choice to take it! The king room was so much better, the room was bigger, the bathroom was bigger yet still some furnishings were dated and the air con was extremely noisy!
The breakfast was ok! The croissants seemed they were there for over a week, therefore we gave them a miss! The breakfast is not a massive variety but they do provided products that get you going such as eggs and making your own toast!
We were extremely disappointed and know that we will never ever stay with another Rydges hotel ever again... we were lied too and we had to pay extra for an upgrade!

Room Tip: If you stay here, only take the King room that is the most normal room!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
I was very surprised to see your heading and read the details in your review of the hotel in particular highlighting that the Rydges Group were not accurately describing the bed ensembles in the rooms. I have personally gone up with a tape measure not an iphone to ensure that this is accurate, the QUEEN beds in the rooms are 153cm wide x 203cm long, According to Australian standards (copied the table for you below) this is the dimensions of a Queen Bed. A double bed is 138cm wide x 188cm long. You can see all this information if you look on wikipedia, it gives you dimensions of all ensemble sizing around the world as they can differ marginally, however from what I quickly read, the Australian sizing seems the most common.

I hope this may clear this up for you and others who may be concerned about your note, the Rydges Dream Beds have been in our hotels for over 5 years now and are generally very well received by our guests as a very comfortable ensemble for a great nights sleep.

Australian standard mattress sizes.

Single
92 cm × 188 cm (36 in × 74 in)
Single Extra Long
92 cm × 203 cm (36 in × 80 in)
King Single
107 cm × 203 cm (42 in × 80 in)
Double
138 cm × 188 cm (54 in × 74 in)
Queen
153 cm × 203 cm (60 in × 80 in)
King
183 cm × 203 cm (72 in × 80 in)