“New Priority Guest John M”

Rydges Melbourne Hotel
Ranked #79 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Adelaide, Australia
“New Priority Guest John M”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

First stay at Rydges melbourne having joined Rydges Priority.
Foyer was welcoming but once in the lift and the corridors, everything looked shabby.

How surprised were we when we opened the door to our Queen spa suite!. All very nice, must have been painted just some few years back.

On the other hand, the glass topped table in the lounge was never wiped (over 5 days ) and some talcum ? powder on a chair in the bedroom stayed there our entire trip.

This must have been a smoking room at sometime, because there were cigarette burns in the table top and the dining chairs.

A toilet brush in the bathroom would prevent some embarassing moments. They are reasonably cheap.
Meals were quite good although $10-00 for 6 "chips" was over the top.
Hope the dining area floor gets a clean sometime.
Would we stay there again--- might just try the other Rydges

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Sorry you had a poor impression of the hotel from your stay in a suite, as noted to previous comments, we are planning on an upgrade in the new year which should address some of the short comings you have noted. Cleanliness however is a very important part of the guest experience and will be discussed with housekeeping on their attention to detail.

David Bornmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Firstly, please note that our stay was in July, so any changes made at the hotel since that date obviously will not be reflected in this review.

Check-in for this two night stay was very easy. It was my first Rydges stay as a Priority Guest member, and they had my membership card waiting for me on arrival at reception. As the membership entitles me to a free drink on arrival (on presentation of the card in the bar), the reception staff member kindly gave a hand-written drink card to my partner, so that we could both enjoy a drink together - a nice way to start the stay!

Unfortunately, the room left a lot to be desired - particularly as we had paid upwards of $300 per night for a spa suite. The furniture in the room actually had a decent amount of fire damage (on the bedside table from what appeared to have been a candle burnt down to the base, and on the dining table from what appeared to be dropped matches, etc etc). The main television in the room came with a device that allowed for other devices to be connected to it (eg. laptop, television cables, etc etc)... unfortunately, the device itself was not actually set-up on the TV, and as such was completely useless. I was also unable to tune it myself due to restrictions on the television, and I simply couldn't be bothered to ask for someone to come and set the TV up (and in all honesty, shouldn't have needed to in the first place).

Several food items in the mini bar were actually out of date (and not just by a day or two, but several months). I wrote "items out of date - please replace" on a sheet of A4 paper using a marking pen, and placed it in front of the mini bar with the OOD items sitting next to it, with the dates circled on the products. When the room was serviced the following day, the paper (with large writing) and products had been moved far from their original positions, but not replaced (so they obviously saw the sign)...

The spa itself was also dirty from the previous guest, and remained that way even after housekeeping had been through. These comments were passed along to hotel management via the in-room survey card, but this went on deaf ears, and we heard nothing more of it (and I still haven't heard anything from the hotel)...

To add insult to injury, the hotel charges 3.5% extra for Amex & Diners transactions (which in all fairness was disclosed when making the reservation). Oddly though, every other hotel chain in Australia appears to charge just 1.5% for all card types (and that's only when they surcharge in the first place)... I feel sorry for any international visitors that are slugged this surcharge in addition to their card issuer's international transaction fees... would the hotels rather we all start paying in notes and coin, and then have the added cost of increased Armaguard pick-ups, increased labour costs due to money handling, and risk of theft by employees? ... yes, people can pay with EFTPOS, but this is not an option for international visitors. All payment methods cost money to accept and process, however as a tax deductable cost of doing business, they should simply be included in the pricing and not levied as a seperate charge item (after all, you don't pay hotels more for electricity, water, or a room key - all costs of doing business).

Finally, I gave my Qantas Frequent Flyer number to reception on check-out, as I was told that any room over $250AUD/night qualified for points. As no points were awarded, I subsequently sent follow-up correspondence to the hotel a few months ago, and have yet to receive a reply. As the amount of points owed is close to 2000, if the hotel does not resolve this soon, I will have Qantas look into the hotel's false advertising (eg. offering incentive to stay (in this case, points), but failing to honour the offer).

What the hotel did reasonably well was the breakfast. There were many hot and cold options available, one of which was an egg chef who would cook eggs/omelettes on request, just the way you like them. Just be aware that on Sunday, almost the entire hotel seems to be entitled to breakfast, and the restaurant can be extremely crowded and over capacity the closer that it gets to the end of breakfast time.

While this hotel may appeal to some, there are many hotel options in Melbourne, and as such, I will choose one that is not such a hassle to deal with during my next visit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chrisch79
I read your commentary from July and apoligise that you were left with a poor impression of the hotel. The in room bar contents have been totally reviewed an drevamped since that period, the feedback has been reasonable to date with this change, we also have exluded items that had a short shelf life so it is easier for the staff to manage. The furnishing in some of the suites are in poor shape, I understand the suites should be upgraded in th enew year, which is great news for all of us. Glad to hear you at least enjoyed breakfast, unfortunately Sunday is always busy at breakfast time as the leisure guests tend to come down very late and usually on the back of a very busy saturday night, can be quite hectic.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I arrived on 20 Nov afternoon, but had to bring in my heavy luggages all myself to the lobby. There was only one lady at the counter and she was not very welcoming. She said she would bring the luggage up to the room for me. And surprisingly, she brought them up herself! Poor lady..Staff shortage in this hotel?

The housekeepers have done a great job as room was very clean. The bed was comfortable too.

However, the shower curtain was too short to prevent water from spilling to the toilet area. Also, the neighbours' doors kept slamming. Very noisy! I checked and the problem lied with the design of the door. Perhaps the hotel could improve on this.

The heater was not working too well as hardly any hot air could be felt from it. Also, was the TV set turned on by default? It startled me with its loud volume after I left it alone upon arrival.

Second bad encounter with the female staff was when I approached one to ask for a map, she said she would do so after she's done with her chore. Then, she totally forgotten about me after her chore and I had to queue at the counter for her attention.
Third bad encounter: The day when I left, the hotel staff gave me a call to inform me about the arrival of my pick-up. She didn't sound warm over the phone.

These three encounters with the female staff left me much to expect when I check out. However, I was greeted with a smile by the male staff at the counter. That should be the way!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
It was disappointing to read of your experience at the hotel when you stayed on Sunday 20 Nov. It was certainly a surprise to hear that the Guest service agent came across as not being friendly in her attitude to you. The two personnel on the roster that afternoon generally get good responses from guests as they are both seasoned veterans and understand the importance of first impressions and are genuine in their customer service. Sunday afternoons traditionally are not busy and they do scale back on the manning as a normal rule. Generally the morning are staffed up to handle the rush of checkouts from Saturday evenings. I have no other explanation for your comments other than they will be addressed of course and hopefully it was a one off poor performance by the individual involved.

Gernal Manager
Perth
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We stayed 3 nights in a Queen suite which was upgraded to a Spa Queen suite. As others have said the decor is getting a bit tired especially in the corridors and lifts but our room was spacious and clean. We had a seperate shower (not in the bath) which is becoming more difficult to obtain. The location was great, in walking distance to all attractions, restaurants, shops etc. and especially the theatres. Unfortunately for us, as we like to see a show when we are in Melbourne, the theatres were closed.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful and yes we will stay in Rydges again when we next visit Melbourne.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Amanda W
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
As noted on other comments, I have it on good authority that the suites will be getting and upgrade in the new year, so we are very excited that once this is completed how this will improve our guest experience at the hotel, in the meantime we do our best to present the rooms as best as possible. I find them to be large, comfortable and not too offensive for the value. Hopefully our location and the team will bring you back again in the future.

Your sincerely

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We spontaneously decided to go to Melbourne and we chose Rydges, we read alot of negative reviews, but kept it aside, so we could experience it ourselves.
We can bet our life that it was the most awesome experience. The service was impeccable, and the rooms were gorgeous. They gave us the best possible room and we loved it. The restaurant was amazing and the breakfast was heavenly, interior was lavish and rich. In simple, Rydges is a place that one should experience it. Not giving out more as everyone should go there to experience Melbourne, it is located in the hub of everything, they even told us where we should be going and what are the best places and the best things to do. We will be coming for a week next year and Rydges is the place , we will be staying!!!

P.S.... the dream bed!!!!!! Is surely the best....

DO NOT READ ALL THE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anston R
It always is fantastic to receive some positive feedback on a guest experience at the hotel and the the facilites and team did what they could to ensure you had an enjoyable experience. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts and hopefully we will see you back again,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 10, 2011

My wife and I where members of a barter scheme where you would trade services,in this case we where florists and we made a booking for a hotel in croydon Melbourne called the elizabeth lodge,when arrived and checked in the manager stated there was no booking but allowed us to stay overnight,very kind.We left and headed for the city and the apostles, then heard on the radio of this hotel deal for the rydges so I booked in by phone and checked in that night,then went to crown casino,very good stay.

• Stayed December 2011
It was pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel after your holiday, it sound slik eit was an adventurous experience.

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed December 10, 2011

We checked into Rydges Hotel on the President's Cup weekend, as it was the ONLY hotel with rooms left in all of Melbourne.

At A$370, we found the room a bit small but nevertheless clean and comfortable. We booked a twin room - the only room left on booking.com in all of Melbourne - but the concierge called us up on the phone and asked if a queen room would suit us better. Great service!! Rooms were clean. Internet access was not free! Small minibar with the normal beverages charged at high prices, nice water-pressure on the bathroom.

Check-in experience was quick, about 10 minutes after copies of our passports were made and an imprint of our credit card taken. The room was clean, comfortable and spots a great view of Chinatown. Chinatown, with tons of restaurants was within a 2-minute walking distance and the Eastern Suburbs was within easy reach as the Exhibition Street toll entry points to the Citylink South Eastern Freeway was easily reachable. Parking was expensive so if you do not need to park in the city, don't!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
It was pleasing that there were many areas that you enjoyed with your stay at the hotel, the in room minibar has only recently being upgraded to a very extensive list including gift options to improve the options available. the pricing was also reduced to make it more attractive, so it is a concern this was not a positive for your experience. Location is a big plus for the hotel and obvioulsy one we benefit from.