“Excellent Customer Service”

Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens
Ranked #9 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 9, 2009

My husband and I have been travelling on business trips around NSW for the past week and staying in Melbourne was our first day/night of our vacation. The places we stayed at during the business trips were absolutely average as they were in the regional areas of NSW. It was such a great choice that we have decided to stay in Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens. The rooms are clean and the right size for couples. The location very convenient and close by to the CBD and tram stop. I must say thought that the very highlight of the stay is the friendly and very excellent customer service by the hotel's restaurant, HQ's on William Restaurant. Amazing selection of food. Extremely friendly staff. Amazing. Must try!!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Teeya81

Reviewed September 30, 2009

As a very frequent traveller, one of the important things to me is to be able to stay in a Hotel that I can regard as a "home away from home". I am somewhat surpised to see the previous couple of reviews, as I have stayed at "Club Rad" for (am guessing) 100 + times in the last 10 years and have always found the staff to be obliging, cheerful, friendly and professional. Concierge Manager, Kate Quigley, and Rhodelyn, who looks after the night watch most of the time, cannot do enough to ensure my check ins and outs are managed expeditiously, car is parked and returned on time and offer that general "home away from home" feeling. The menu in the restaurant can be as simple or as fancy as you like, offering a good variety. Breakfast is a breeze from 6.30am. The location, whilst not bang in the middle of the CBD, allows me easy and quick access to the main arterials, depending on which way I have to travel, as well as allowing an easy walk (5-10 mins) into the CBD itself, or 15 mins to Southbank/Casino strip where there are restaurants a plenty. The rooms are always clean and serviceable, and in recent times, many appear to have been renovated. In the past, I have also stayed there on a "leisure" basis, and have found the same standards kept up. All in all, great value for money from my point of view.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2009

My husband and I stayed here recently for the weekend at the tail end of a business trip. We booked a Premier Room (these rooms are located on the top 3 floors of the hotel).

As for the previous reviewer, the biggest disappointment of our stay here was the service levels. I presume service quality has gone downhill in recent times based on earlier reviews posted.

We were allocated a room facing the lift lobby with a cleaner's cupboard right outside the door. Due to the resultant noise levels, we requested a room change the next day. This request had to be made twice before being met. Room service trays remained uncollected in the hallway all day. Housekeeping staff started cleaning the rooms early on Sunday morning (when most guests would like to sleep in) - it sounded like the cleaners were tearing the room apart next door. The checkout time is listed as 11am, however at 10.45am a staff member was banging on the door asking why we hadn't vacated yet. In the lobby, hotel staff also remarked to one another that “the demographic of the guests staying at the hotel is lower during the current economic climate”. This comment was made within clear earshot of many guests and is frankly offensive.

Note that the rooms facing east currently overlook a construction site. The Premier rooms are not overly spacious or clean, however the decor could be considered modern. Bathrooms are relatively large, but are looking a bit dated. It is less centrally located than many other hotels, but the tram is close by if you don’t want to walk. Note also that if you leave your bags in the luggage room, the staff just let people walk in and choose their own bag – this is hardly secure storage, and may even be an OHS issue for guests. It seemed that the staff and management at the Radisson have stopped caring, and do not take pride in their jobs.

The Radisson is listed as a “luxurious” 4.5 star property on a number of hotel booking web sites; this is clearly misleading to travellers. Colleagues had warned us against staying here; unfortunately we did not follow their advice! There are many better accommodation options at this price range.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MsC1
MelbourneRadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2009

We apologies for our shortfall in service on this occaision. We will work hard to ensure
this type of experience does not happen again.

Best Regards

Reviewed August 4, 2009

My partner and I stayed at the Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens in Melbourne for three nights. We booked the hotel as a "Secret Hotel" deal from Last Minute at a rate of AUD130 a night.

After arriving at the hotel after our red-eye flight from the West Coast, we thought we'd be cheeky and ask if we could check in early. Unfortunately, they were at full occupancy but were happy to store our bags and let us use the showers in the top-floor gym to allow us to freshen up. We couldn't thank the staff enough for this small gesture!

After our lovely hot shower we were ready to hit the streets of Melbourne. The hotel is convenient to the city centre and would be particularly good if in Melbourne for business visitors as it is located on the northern edge of the business district. For tourists, the free circle line tram stops about 100 metres away from the front door, plus the markets are a short stroll from the hotel.

We returned after check-in time opened to find that we had already been checked in, with our bags already in the room. This was another nice touch which we were grateful for.

The room itself was a fair size, inoffensively (if a bit blandly) decorated and clean. We're not big on hanging out in our rooms when on holidays, so a comfortable bed and hot shower in a clean room are always big winners.

The staff made our stay incredibly enjoyable for us - always polite and helpful.

Overall, a good hotel in a great location.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Stayed at the Radisson for a business trip. Overall it was a good experience - staff were polite and the room was very clean, a reasonable size and in good condition. The bed was a bit too firm for me (I have a pillowtop at home though, so maybe I'm used to a softer bed). Bathroom was clean, functional and not too squishy, although the shower was over the bath (which I personally dislike, but this was redeemed by the fact that there was a glass screen rather than a shower curtain).

I would certainly choose to stay there again for business. If I was having a special weekend away, I might stay somewhere else with a bit more opulence.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I stayed at this hotel with a friend last september for a girls night out. We had a great time! There a a few nice pubs/bars in the area and the bar in the lobby had a good happy hour deal going. The hotel was nice, our room had a nice new LCD tv and a beautiful view of the park across the street. The staff were friendly, helpful and looked to enjoy there jobs (makes a big differnce). My parents have also stayed here (after I told them how much I liked it) and they too were impressed. Good place to star if you want to be close to the city attractions while still being in a nice quite area.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank KatieQ84
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Both my partner and I spent 2 fabulous nights at this hotel and found the location to be ideal. We decide to have a shopping weekend and found that Queen Victoria Market right next door, DFO not even a 10 minute walk and Melbourne Central. We shopped till we dropped. We ate in the restaurants and talk about “WOW Factor”, the food was unbelievable and the service was A+. We decided to sleep in the following morning as the bed was so comfortable that we just did not want to get out. The room we had was a Guest Room and talk about value for money. You could not fault it all. Summing up the service from the staff made us feel so welcomed. We will be back again before the end of the year. Excellent service overall.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple