“Flying the Value Flag on Flagstaff”

Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens
Ranked #9 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was my first ever visit to Melbourne, so I was looking for a comfortable, affordable, central, efficient and good quality hotel. This one fits the bill. I used my usual technique of sifting through the top 20 or so hotels in a city before picking one that looked the best value, and I wasn't disappointed. Its not much to look at from outside, and is a smidge out of the CBD, but that is being very fussy. It's a short walk down William to the CBD and inside the hotel, you are made to feel welcome and individual. The lobby is the usual business hotel lobby, with a boring and small reception and concierge desk near a lounge and set of very quick, quiet, clean lifts. There are some nice touches in this area, such as the abundance of newspapers of various titles on a table near the lift, near a large vat of iced water with sliced fruit in it - very refreshing after a flight. The concierge was amiable and kitted out in a bowler hat; quirky. Check-in was quick, but sadly my room wasn't ready. They did say that they are only ever available at 2pm, which is a little late I feel.

The room itself on the 8th floor faced east, overlooking a construction site. It looks like it has a way to go, that building, so if you are visiting in the next few months ask for one of the other sides.The corridors were mildly noisy once or twice, but nothing serious. The room was comfortable - a big, clean, comfortable bed. Nice chairs, good TV, good selection of teas and coffee with proper milk in the fridge (why don't more hotels give up the powdered stuff?). There was also hot chocolate in the tray, yum. There was an iron and ironing board and hangers that were removable, which I think says the hotel trusts its guests; I hate those hotels who feel it's necessary to have those silly hangars that can't be removed. Who on the planet is stealing hangers?

The shower had a rainforest head and a normal, wall-mounted head, surrounded by glass. Good cosmetics and towels. I ordered room service once, which was delivered when promised and was pretty decent. I preferred to walk the two or so minutes to the QV markets (turn right put of the front entrance) for breakfast, but I did have breakfast at the hotel twice over my four days. I was told to book it in advance to save five dollars, which I did. The voucher said it was open until 1030, but when I arrived at 1000 I was told by the restaurant staff it was closing. They weren't rude, but I did mention the discrepancy to Reception, who immediately checked and confirmed that it was still open and that I was able to eat. It was a minor hiccup, and I felt bad for the Restaurant staff - I didn't want to get them into trouble. However, after breakfast I was called in my room by Brad from Reception who apologised for the inconvenience and gave me a free breakfast the following morning. Thank you, Brad.

The trams stop just outside, as does the Skybus service for the airport (check Skybus website for details). All in all, I cannot fault the Radisson. The gym upstairs is adequate, but the highlight is literally the highlights ... there is a large spa overlooking the Melbourne skyline, with a steam room and balcony; if only I had used all of this more. The safe in my room wasn't working when I arrived and maintenance were quick to visit and fix it. Also, I didn't once see any housekeeping staff, either in the corridors or at work in the rooms. Maybe it was chance, but I thought it was great that they went about their work in such a subtle manner.

Room Tip: Ask if the construction on the east side is still going on. Ask for one close to the lifts, they are...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Zimbo_in_Limbo77
There are newer reviews for Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed at the Radisson for 1 night whilst in Melbourne for a 2 day course. We stayed in a double room with 2 beds, we were a little disappointed that they were not double beds but having said that the beds were very comfortable and the sheets and bedding clean and crisp. The room was clean and fresh and the bathroom appeared new, it had clearly been refurbished recently, the lighting was very good in both the room and the bathroom. We had a winter special which had a complimentary drink, breakfast and a movie included in the reasonable price. We have stayed at the Radisson before and would not hesitate to stay there again when returning to Melbourne in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and found everything to be satisfactory. Check in staff were efficient but not overly friendly. Rooms are a good size, bed was comfortable, in room amenities fairly standard and park views were nice. The bathroom is a good size but is a very strange design. The taps had overly long handles, there was very little shelving for toiletries and the shower design itself was odd in that there is a small tilt in the floor allowing the water to remain in the main shower area. However this design is severely inefficient as water from the shower spreads all throughout the bathroom and you are left with a flooded floor in the whole bathroom after a shower. They really need to supply a broom to sweep the water towards the drain after a shower. Other than this strange aspect of the bathroom the room is good value and comfortable. Check out was smooth.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Had the feel of a Holiday Inn Express on checking into the room and the hotel is a bit of a walk to anywhere interesting in terms of restaurants or bars.

As such, there is a temptation to eat in the hotel restaurant and while the food was great, it was five-star prices in a three-star hotel.

If I was back in Melbourne, I'd be more inclined to stay in the heart of the city towards the river, but the Radisson on Flagstaff would be fine for a one night stay.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This hotel is a little gem located across Flagstaff Gardens. The staff are fantastic - nothing is too much trouble. The breakfast is superb and the little extras such as cool lemon water in the lobby, free daily newspapers and a scale to check your luggage adds to the experience. Overall I will definitely stay here when I'm next in Melbourne. A great change from your 5 star sky rise hotels without compromising comfort. Well done Radisson !!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

This was one of those trips where you don't do much more than sleep, shower and maybe eat (in room). As such, it had all I wanted, which was basically hot water, good bed and efficient front desk. My room was a bit small. A couple would have found it smaller. Pretty fair value, I would have liked to try the restaurant and bar, but no time.
Location is OK, on the edge of the city on the airport side so easy to to and away from. Staff very friendly, walls a bit thin but nothing really to complain about- a well run, good value hotel. I won't bother looking elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank EllvisPresley
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is a very clean hotel with great staff, but it is a little dated and probably a little bit to the side from all the Melbourne action. In saying that, if the price of the room is reasonable, I would recommend it to anyone. It is close to Vic Markets and a shot walk from tram 55 stop. There is a gym, sauna and spa on the roof top, along with some outdoor tables and chairs.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple