WINNER WONDERLAND

Punthill Flinders Lane Apartments
Ranked #69 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
“Awesome location!!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2010

Awesome location but the rooms were a little disappointing even though the place was recently refurbished. We had a room with very squeaky floors that became very annoying after a while! Their answer was that because it is a heritage building nothin can be done about so be warned!!!
Rooms are also very dark
Location great though!

• Stayed November 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2010

Things hadn't looked too good initially between booking and staying. At some stage a couple of weeks before we left home, I emailed saying we were booked from the 5th to the 13th of November and requesting a quiet room and asking about internet charges.

I got a fairly helpful reply about quiet rooms and the internet costs, to which I said thank you. The next email said I needed to decide whether I was booking or not as they were fully booked on the 6th. I managed to eventually shut this down, I thought. And then 2 days before we left I got an email telling me I had to confirm that we would be there from the 6th as they were full. I replied with a previous confirmation of booking email and a little consternation!

Anyway, we arrived at about 7pm on a Friday night. We were tired and it had been a longer than necessary trip from the airport. I then had trouble finding the broadband port (why don't hotels in major cities in Australia have wifi?) and then had trouble trying to log on or download the required java applet. The guy from reception came up and helped and took the computer away and brought it back ready to go!!!

The next day, we asked about some slightly bigger juice glasses. The receptionist ran around and found some for us, out of the store cupboard, within about 5 minutes.

A few days later, we booked to go to Robin Williams live at the Rod Laver Arena and needed to print out our tickets. It was no problem to do that at reception either.

The apartment was cute, quiet and very clean. It had everything we needed (except wifi). It was serviced every day if we wanted it done,

It was also very central and we walked almost everywhere. Having stayed in 2 other Melbourne apartment hotels, I'd recommend this one the most! We had a great time and thank you to all the staff who were so helpful and friendly!

It also has a coffee shop in the foyer, for your morning caffeine fix.

As a postscript, I'm sitting in a motel in a hicktown in NZ (a week later) typing this on my laptop, using the FREE motel wifi.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

I only stayed at Punthill Flinders Lane for one night but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The location is smack-bang in the middle of the Melbourne CBD - about 3 mins walk to Federation Square, another 5 or 10 to the major shopping centres in the middle of the city and there are a lot of alleyways filled with restaurants and shops at your doorway.

The reception there is fantastic and very helpful. The room is very spacious and clean and comfortable. I think everything is pretty much new with velvet black and pink highlights on cushions and decor, etc. I booked a one-bedroom and it came with a rather large lounge room and full kitchen with a dining table. The bedroom also has another TV. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and I had a good nights sleep. I'm very sound sensitive so I have ear plugs on so the noise wasn't really a problem for me.

I've stayed at The Langham Melbourne a couple of months ago for two nights and apart from the grand entrance, I would pick Punthill over it to stay in. I'll definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank globality
Perth Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

The two bedroom apartment was really a one bedroom and a partitioned "cupboard-sized" second sleeping area. In this partition, the "wall" doesn't actually go to the ceiling so beware privacy! The floorboards in the building creak at every move so someone next door can walk across the floor and you imagine they are in your room.
The bed was one where we both met in the middle and we didn't sleep well all week. The lifts were dodgy and took us from level 3 to 5 every morning even though we had pressed for Ground floor. Don't try to get Internet here, they charge heavily and even then we had a lot of trouble connecting.
Being a busy family we found the location great, very central to some great restaurants but would definitely get a more up market hotel next time. Would not return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank JOROBPerthAustralia
Gold Coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2010

Stayed in a 1 bedroom deluxe unit. One queen bedroom with ensuite, single bedroom with adjoining toilet/powder room. Lounge, kitchen etc. Great apartment with everything you need. Location is fabulous. As previous reviews stated yes you do hear some noise from the street ... but what do you expect staying in the heart of the city! Staff friendly and helpful. Very good value for money.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

Punt Hill Flinders Lane has a fantastic location in Melbourne. Very convenient to all the sites, transportation and restaurants in the CBD as well as shopping and grocery stores. The apartment was neat and clean and I liked having service each day, although the housekeeping does come too early. The staff was very helpful and friendly, offering a cheerful greeting when we came and went from the lobby. They recommended and printed out google maps for restaurants and helped arrange taxi transport to the airport.

The only downside was the noise at night and in the early AM. Flinders Lane is quite a busy place and it seemed that garbage was picked up every morning; at times I thought there were conversations occurring right inside the apartment due to the thin glassed windows. I think a big improvement would be to replace the windows with double or triple paned glass to cut down on the noise. Another slight downside was that the laundry was in the common hallway, and only one coin operated washer and dryer. This required a bit of planning so you can retrieve your clothes so others can make use of them.

All in all it was a lovely place and a great stay in Melbourne. I would recommend Punt Hill Flinders Lane, especially for its location. Melbourne was my favorite place during our 3 week visit to Australia.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

This Hotel has just been renovated , we has a One Bedroom which was very comfortable and had all you need , LCD TV , DVD player and a full kitchen. The Staff went out of their way to make sure we felt at home and nothing was any trouble even when we had problems with our DVD Player in our room and replaced it with a brand new one .

It was a big surprise to us that the Apartment was serviced daily, considering that we were under the impression by the inroom details said not on the weekends.

The great thing about the place is its location , close to Flinders Street Station, Federation Square , Tram Stops and even the free City Circle Tram. Just around the Lane ways lots of funky Cafes and places to eat, plenty of shopping.

Now I know people have complained about the noise , and yes we had a little however in the bedroom with the double glazed glass we slept very well.

All in all a great stay , with great staff and very convient location.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple