Punthill Flinders Lane Apartments
  • Pool
Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne(Melbourne)
Hotel Causeway(Melbourne)
  • Fitness center
All reviewspunt hill apartmentsgreat locationdegraves ststudio apartmentfederation squaregarbage trucksfull kitchenserviced dailycoles supermarketfirst floorcafes and restaurantscentral locationfed squarenoisy at nightmain bedroomthe heart of the citygreat apartment
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I fell in love with Melbourne a few years ago, so have stayed in many hotels and self catering apts. Most have good points, (& some were quite luxurious) but Punthill ticks most of ,my requisites. It is perfectly located if you want to stay right in the centre of the laneways. Can nick downstairs with your morning paper for coffee and croissant, or with your book at 5pm for wine and cheese plate. If you want to kick back and stay in, Coles is conveniently located around the corner.....can cook up a minor storm in the well-equipped kitchen. We''ll stay again..

Room Tip: We stayed on a high floor because I was concerned about the possibilities of noise from laneways, but as it turned out the bedrooms had double glazed windows, so no concerns.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank first_one_step
Reviewed August 27, 2012

First time in Melbourne with wife and 2 small daughters. Stayed for 6 nights. Apartment was really nice and well equipped, everything was sufficiently sized - be it kitchen, bedroom or living room - it was like a nice small home for us. I had a feeling that the apartment was recently upgraded because everything looks new.

Reception staff was polite and helpful. Location is great, everything was within walking distance - Flinders Street Station, Swanston Street, Federation Square, Southgate, Victoria Gallery, Townhall. Within the neighbourhood there are abundant cafes and restaurants.

Overall, I was delighted with this apartment. It gives us nice memory of Melbourne. I doubt we will ever return to Melbourne (heck, there are hundreds of other cities in the world to visit in your lifetime), but we would definitely recommend this apartment for those who are visiting Melbourne for the first time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Shycs
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We loved our stay at Punthill Flinders Lane.
The best thing about this hotel is the location. For young people I really don't think you could get any better. Degraves and Flinders Lanes, with great boutiques and cafes is literally just downstairs. Everything is within short walking distance, including the city center, tram stops, bars, clubs, and restaurants.
The apartment was a good size for four people on a girl's shopping weekend. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment. The only I would say is that only the ensuite off the main bedroom has a bath/shower. The second bathroom is just a toilet. This would be awkward for couples, as you have to walk through the main bedroom to get to the shower. The bathroom is a tad tired, while the rest of the apartment has quite funky decor. Also, the second bedroom doesn't have a full wall, meaning it is open to the noise/light from the main living area.
One major negative of this hotel is that the floors are wooden floorboards, so they creak, making it a VERY noisy hotel in certain rooms. We didn't experience much noise from the laneway below, really just from other guest's children running around, out of control, making the floor creaky. I suspect without them there wouldn't have been a problem.

Overall, would stay again. Room clean, good location, good size, service pretty good. For the price we paid, great value for money.

Room Tip: Don't confuse this hotel with Punthill Manhattan. It gets better reviews, but it's down the opposite (quieter) end of Flinders Lane.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank 22bld22
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This hotel was in a great location just across the road from Flinders St Station and a 5 minute walk to Fed Square. Our room did overlook the laneway with the cafes, but it was fairly soundproof and we didn't find this to be a problem. The building and rooms have recently had cosmetic makeovers, but this doesn't hide the fact that it is old and slightly run down. The rooms were clean and comfortable though, and the main bedroom, bathroom and lounge were all a good size.

I was travelling with my mum and grandma (who uses a walker), and there were a few issues for us that wouldn't have been a problem for younger able-bodied people. There are a few stairs to get into the hotel from the street, with no option of a ramp. The handrail for the stairs was unstable and did not offer much support for my grandma without the use of her walker. The only shower in our room was over a bathtub, which made access a bit tricky for my grandma. To be fair, we're not used to travelling with her, and didn't ask about accessible facilities prior to the trip.

I was also surprised to notice the second bedroom only had a 3/4 height wall. I am a light sleeper and the noise and light from people still awake in the lounge area kept me awake.

When we checked out the guy serving us was extremely flustered, even though we were the only ones there at the time and there were no calls coming in or anything. He was friendly enough, but slightly unprofessional constantly complaining about how busy and stressed he was. It took him about 10 minutes and 5 different calls to finally book us a taxi - it would have been easier to do it ourselves. When we went back for our luggage (we had it stored there while we were out for the morning) we were met with the same sort of service, and were led to the back office to get our own bags.

I'd probably stay here again with my husband, but maybe not with an older person/family.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank zanzibar138
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Hubby and I (seniors) stayed here for 3 nights early August have stayed here once before. The decor has been updated since our last stay to now have flat screen tv's; the bathroom is nice and spacious; the downstairs cafe served a good breakfast though there is plenty of choice for meals all within just a few minutes walk. We requested a quiet unit but were given one facing the street and while not too bad, the nightclub opposite created quite a bit of noise on the Saturday night. The location is excellent....couple of minutes to Federation Square, the free trams and buses, Young and Jacksons Hotel, China town, etc etc. Would stay here again but think we would request an apartment on a higher floor to avoid night noise (we were on Level 2). Yes, the floorboards are creaky andthe lift does rattle but all in all, a most convenient place to stay.

Room Tip: High floor but not facing the street
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple