Punthill Flinders Lane Apartments
$195
$175
Westin.com
  • Pool
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$158
  • Restaurant
Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$208
$93
Radisson
  • Restaurant
Alto Hotel on Bourke(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$110
  • Room Service
$240
$210
  • Pool
Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$179
$104
  • Room Service
$252
$162
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Treasury On Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$182
$143
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspunt hill apartmentsgreat locationdegraves ststudio apartmentfederation squaregarbage trucksfull kitchenserviced dailycoles supermarketfirst floorcafes and restaurantscentral locationfed squarenoisy at nightmain bedroomthe heart of the citygreat apartment
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Although the location was great I was a little disappointed with the apartment itself. We stayed in 402 which was next to the lift and was pretty noisy in both bedrooms. The layout of the apartment itself was also pretty strange. There was one shower servicing two bedrooms but this was located in the ensuite off the master, this meant the person in the second bedroom had to walk through the master to use it! It was all a bit awkward. The second bedroom door opened straight onto the kitchen, which was also a little strange.

The main aspect which let this down for me was the customer service. On arrival at the hotel we checked in and were given keys, only to discover when we got to the apartment that the room had not been cleaned! The cleaner was in fact sitting in the apartment eating his lunch. It was all a bit embarassing! The management apologised but didn't seem too concerned.

The next issue was the car parking, we booked a space for two nights and notified the front desk that we were taking the vehicle out of the space and back to the hire company. When we arrived back at the apartment that evening, we were told that we had been charged for a third night because we had not returned a remote for the basement door ... though we weren't advised of this when we 'checked the car out'. When we pointed out that we had not been asked for the remote, the guy behind the desk got aggressive, he was outraged that we had (politely) challenged him and responded with a torrent of abuse questioning our morals. He eventually agreed to remove the third nights charge but this ruined the stay for me and left me really upset. If we hadn't paid in advance for the rest of our stay I would have checked out. I've never been treated like that in a 4* hotel before and don't expect to be again. On this basis unfortunately I can't recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms next to the lifts, ours was 402 and was very noisy. Also avoid the rooms next to the washing machines and tumble dryers which are located on each floor, I'm not sure what numbers these are but it might be worth checking before you book.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lorna F
KeiranS, Public Relations Manager at Punthill Flinders Lane Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2012

Punthill notes that the two above reviews are from the same guests. Punthill prides itself on outstanding customer service and all staff go out of their way to assist guests. Unfortunately, this incident became stressful for all concerned. The carpark was fully booked on the day in question. The Manager repeatedly phoned the guest who repeatedly assured the Manager that the other two members of the party would be back shortly with the remote control but in fact they only returned many hours later at 7pm. This was a difficult situation as all guests had checked in and the carpark was full. We do feel that we were justified in asking the guests to pay the additional charge of $19 and one of the guests readily agreed and felt this was justified; however when the two other guests expressed extreme outrage, the charge was reversed. It is certainly a shame that this occurred and that all concerned became so upset about a small amount of money. All staff have learnt from this experience and we continue to train staff in all areas of customer service.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed at Punthill Filnders lane for for nights with two family members. The place looks nice and was clean, although the room layout was a little odd and street noise could be heard but this is common with central city locations. The problem came when the manager tried to charge us for overnight parking we did not use. We had a rental car we used for two days and paid for two nights parking before returning the car. When we checked the car out of their car park we informed the lady at reception we were doing so who said "no problem". On returning the car we then noticed we had forgetten to hand the door remote to open the garage door back at Punthill- no problem, we thought, there are fifteen spaces in the garage and only two cars in there last night - they will have plenty of spare remotes. When we got back to the Punthill we were informed we were being charged and extra night's parking ($20AUD) for not returning the remote! The manager's logic was that he was then not able to give it to someone else to rent the space and thus he was out of pocket. He wouldn't consider that he needed spare remotes for when guests inevitably forgot to hand them back or they broke and said the car park was full that night after being 90% empty the previous two nights (it was not full that night either - there were at least for empty spaces at midnight - I was so incensed I checked!). I explained that not returning the remote was an oversight on my part and a human error, however it was not explained to me when I rented the space/remote that there was a check out time or penalty costs in not returning it, and I had informed reception and trying to add clauses like this to the agreement retrospectively was wrong and that charging me for another night's parking was charging me something I had neither ordered nor used and this wouldn't stand in any area of consumer law. He eventually agreed to drop the charge only because he grew tired of discussing the issue with such lines as "If I was you I'd pay it as you've cost this business $20". Ultimately it was a grey area - there were things I could have done differently and things they could have done differently over the parking charge and in those cases 99% of four star hotels side with customer. What ruined the stay here was that we paid hundreds of dollars per night to stay there as well as using the laundry, parking and DVD's, so they made hundreds of dollars out of us but ruined the stay by not even considering the customer point of view (which had cunsumer law on its side!) and arguing over $20! Ruined the stay for us...

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the elevator or the street - noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Gareth F
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Perfect for all your needs. Stayed here for 8 nights in April 2012 and was extremely impressed with the level of service and the apartment which i stayed in. Fantastic location, less than five minutes walk to federation square and restaurants just around the corner!!! Also Coles supermarket 5 mins away and Flinders street station also just around the corner. Great base for exploring Melbourne and inexpensive too!! Would definately stay here again, pictures do not do it justice!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Andrew2012AUS

Hi Andrew2012AUS

Thanks for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay at Punthill Flinders Lane. Considering your length of stay (8 night's) our fully self contained Apartments would have suited you perfectly..
With Coles Supermarket located just around the corner I'm sure you made good use of the cooking facilities available in room.

We appreciate you comments and hope to see you again soon..!

Regards

Reviewed March 24, 2012

The rooms were nicely decorated and had everything you need. I loved the tin cat on the windowsill and the way the room was set out. The only problem was the previous occupants had been cooking in the room and the smell was overpowering and when we opened the window, the noise from the street was very loud. Overall the room was great and the location was excellent. I would definitely recommmend it.

Room Tip: Ask for air freshener.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2012

It is not glamorous but it is centrally located, clean, good amenities, friendly and helpful staff. And if you ring the hotel direct you get a good deal and usually you can cancel within 24 hours. The apartments are spacious and plenty of room to move around. The bathroom was huge and full kitchen like home. Didn't really like the rustic concrete interiors but still best value property in the city and I would definitely stay here again. 5 min walk to Rod Laver Arena, MCG, mall for shopping. I had a quiet room not overlooking the street.

Room Tip: not street side.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends