“Great hotel, Great Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Melbourne Parkview Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Melbourne Parkview Hotel
Ranked #26 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane
“Great hotel, Great Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2007

I won a competition to go to the Caulfield Cup. We stayed for only two nights but it was a very nice hotel. When we arrived, we were told that there was no reservation under my name. Just what we needed on our first trip to melbourne. I had no record to show her that it had been booked as it was done through the doomben turf club in brisbane. The receptionist called the woman who had told me it was booked and sorted it out and we were checked in straight away. And this was at 11am, so that's excellent service. Our room was a twin room with two double beds and was immaculately clean. We were very impressed with the dressing room which led into the bathroom.
The concierge was extremely helpful on our first visit to Melbourne and gave us directions to wherever we wanted to go.
The hotel is a bit out of the city - it's on St Kilda Rd, but is only a 5 minute tram ride to the city.

Overall, we were very impressed and the location didn't phase us really at all.

• Liked — Helpful concierge and reception staff
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Melz111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2007

Me and my girlfriend stayed at St Kilda Road Parkview hotel for 3 nights over NYE and early Jan 07. It was a last min booking because we had to leave a friends house who was offering free accomo, so basically I had to book something on www.quickbeds.com.au very quickly. There were not very hotels available so this is why we chose this one, also it was kind of the cheapest ($500 for 3 nights)

I am disappointed because I am very picky with photos on the internet. The pics on Quickbeds made the hotel look nice, modern and well furbished. In real life the hotel was run down and in desperate need of a make over. The picture of the lobby on the quickbeds website is not actually the lobby of this hotel which angered me because to me that is false advertising!!

The hotel had a very funny smell.. the elevators had a burning smell like it had an electricital fault.

The staff were ok.. we had some problems with the people next door to us and they resolved the problem straight away.

The location is good.. easy to get into the centre of the city.

But overall the impression of the place was abit crappy.
I think 500 dollars for 3 nights is very expensive for a place like this, I know it was peak time because it was over new years eve but still the place just was not very nice at all..

Oh and the top pool and spa.. is absolutely disgusting! as you are walking up the stairs to it you nearly pass out of the smell of chlorine and then the room is boiling because its in a glass enclosure and again its old and run down!!

If you are not too fussy about accommodation this place will suit you.. i mean it has the essentials.. if you are after something nice and modern don’t stay at this place at all..

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — old and run down... and the funny smell
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Check in / front desk
3 Thank hellojoe3
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2005

I recently booked a room at this hotel. I had booked a non smoking room in advance ( there was mention that it could not be gusranteed on my booking)

On arrival I was given my room key and I proceeded to my first floor room, and after opening the door, I nearly passed out from the stench of the cigarette smoke. I stood there and decided that I could not bear to be in this room.

I returned to reception with my luggage as the receptionist looked at me as if to say, not another complaint. I advised that I requested a non smoking room, she advised that they were fully booked. I advised when I booked the room some 2 weeks prior, they were not fully booked. Even so, at that stage, i would have been prepared to pay more for a non smoking room. She offered to have a de smoking machine placed in my room to which i accepted. I agreed to vacate the room for at least half an hour.

On my return, surprisingly the room seemed to be de smoked. I then unpacked my suitcase, the room was ok, nothing flash, 2-3 star at the most and definitely not worth the $120 i spent.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank surfoz
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2005

The Park View was in St Kilda Road which was a tram ride away from the city, and also a walking distance of 25-30 minutes.
I lost my money at the Casino and walked back through South Melbourne, across Albert Park Lake and through very busy Queens Road to the hotel quite easily, so I know the walk is possible and pleasant.
The hotel had a fantastic restaurant below as well as a small bar for evening drinks. There were many other eating and drinking places around.
The hotel was used mainly by Insurance and other business groups as it was adjacent to many seminar and training venues and everyone I spoke to was there training or working somewhere.
I was doing a training with Insurance and that is how I stayed here as this was their choice of hotel and thus removed somewhat from a travllers choice.
The view from the Gynmasium and pool across to Melbourne was wonderful. I would pedal the bike and read the paper, and was looking across at a fantastic view when I stood by the window of the pool area.
It was a nice meeting place for people staying at the hotel.
Sometimes we walked to our training place...and I also went to the city and walked Collins Street..the Paris of Melbourne of the past and today too with its elegant tree lights and huge skyrise apartment buildings.
The shops are wonderful. I wandered into an arcade and had my hair done, went out to the Underground, sat in the park with my old lover, went to the Arts Centre and the Superb Science Building, had my hair redone in Toorak, bought some great clothes,and lost the last of my money at the Casino....all exciting and hugely pleasurable experiences. Melbourne does that to you.
The National Gallery is well worth visiting, and so is Domain Gardens and the Shrine of remembrance. The gardens are full of some stunning sculptures and a floral clock.
I drove out to Eltham and Kangaroo Ground where I used to live and saw my old shop at Caulfield and Glenhuntly. I remembered my horse being trained at Caulfield and how my flowers decorated the race tracks every year for when I was a florist.
Yes, Melbourne holds many memories and is also the city I love best.

Melbourne is the grand Duchesse of Australia and should not be missed.
Ladymaggic
Marguerite 2005

1 Thank Ladymaggic
Victoria, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2005

I booked my room 1.5 months in advance and asked for a smoking room, and never recieved it. The staff simply told us to go see reception in the morning and they will see what they can do.

My first room had a hair on the basin and in the shower and a pile of dust and hair on the bathroom floor.

Our second room was fine it was clean comfortable and had a view!
So i was told by mangement that the first room was an exceptional case.

The secure valet parking is a must if staying here for $7 a day, they park your car and retrive it whenever you want.

For the price (if booked on the net) it is well worth the stay.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank Hun'ee1203
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2005

My only complaint was that the room had no in-room safe. Everything else was above average. The room was clean and comfortable. The service was impeccable from housekeeping to reception to conceierge. The ameneties were very good. The location initially seemed poor but as I got used to Melbourne I realized the location was perfect. It was on St Kilda road so it's on the tram stop to the City, to St Kilda, and to Chapel St. It was easy to get anywhere in the city from this location.

• Stayed March 2005
5 Thank shawnmensa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2004

Stayed at the Parkview 20th Dec. 2004. I found this hotel on ---------- on the day and thought it was great value for money. I paid AUD$110 for a Monday night. We live 150kms from Melb and work in the city a couple of days a week so often need somewhere to stay.

Easily found parking in the street (ok after 5pm) and right in front of the hotel entrance, but there's parking on site. Quick, easy checkin after making reservation on -----------. Room was clean with good amenities and nice touches - jar of sweets, pillow menu, selection of toiletries, comfortable armchair, good size tv with pay movies and free cable sports channels. The room wasn't enormous but perfectly adequate for 2. There's a dressing room outside the bathroom which has the fridge, coffee making, storage for suitcase, hanging space, mirror, hairdryer - makes up for the slightly smaller room when you have a separate area for dressing and storage. Checkout was swift and simple. All staff I encountered were friendly and helpful.

All in all I thought this was a good choice and I'll stay there again.

5 Thank CheddarHouseAU