“Great Location”
Review of Hotel Collins

Hotel Collins
Ranked #25 of 155 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Just spent a night with friends at Quest. Great location, warm, comfy beds...lovely young lady at reception when we checked in. BUT not impressed with the 4am 'music/noise' wake up call!!! No one at reception at this time, so head under the pillow...didn't help....noise still going when we checked out at 9 am. Ask the girl on reception, she didn't know anything, but would look into it....

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Kayla S, Manager at Hotel Collins, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Hi Colleen,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with Quest Collins Street Central. I am sorry to hear that you had a disturbed sleep and in future please feel free to call the emergency line as this is what this service is for. This is certainly not a standard situation in Collins Street and may have been a special event next door due to the Comedy Festival.

I am glad to hear however that you enjoyed the location and the bed was comfortable. We can certainly in future try to locate your apartment on the other side of the building.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to Quest Collins Street Central in the future.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Great space. separate large bedroom, well furnished and comfortable. Missed th entrance on first pass but it was where they said it was. Friendly, efficient and helpful check in staff. A great location for a City visit!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jack M
Kayla S, Manager at Hotel Collins, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Hi Jack,
We appreciate you taking time to provide us with the feedback on your recent stay and am glad to hear you had such a pleasant stay. We would to particularly thank you for the great feedback on the staff and the space in the apartment and will be sure to pass on the great feedback to all staff.
We hope to invite you back to Quest Collins Street Central in the near future.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Glad I knew where I was going because this wasn't the easiest place to find. Fast and friendly check in, great 1 br apartment. Only criticism is the rather high step up into the bathroom - a bit dangerous after the complimentary bottle of bubbly! A bit of noise, but that doesn't really bother me. Excellent location, wish I was staying longer than just one night. Will definately be coming back.

• Stayed: February 2013
Kayla S, Manager at Hotel Collins, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Margo,

Thank you for your great feedback from your recent stay particularly the fast anf friendly checkin and location.
We hope to have the opportunity to see you in the near future and hopefully for a couple of nights next time!

Property manager

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Quest Central on Collins Street was booked on my behalf, so I didn't do any research before arriving at the accommodation. On arriving off a flight from the Middle East at midnight, the front door of Quest Central was locked, as was the reception desk. On the door there was a sign saying to call a specific number out of hours, however our international phones would not allow us to dial the Australian number. Luckily, some other guests entered the building a little later and let us in, but I could have been worse.

This aside, the studio room that we were allocated was functional but basic. The location however cannot be faulted, as we were within walking distance to everything we needed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kayla S, Manager at Hotel Collins, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Hi Kath,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.
We try to contact all guests staying with us at least a week provider to their arrival to confirm that they will be in before 11pm and/or make alternative arrangements if they aren't and I'm sorry that we were unable to assist with this as it was booked on your behalf.

I am happy to hear everything in the apartment was suitable for your stay and hope that we are given the opportunity to accommodate you in the future.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed with friends so we were situated in 2 x 1 bedroom units connected by a door which we could close when we wanted. The units were very clean and well appointed. Certainly not luxurious, no view and the reception area had me nervous but it was all we needed for a busy few days. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Kayla S, Manager at Hotel Collins, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Hi Woozal27,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay particularly in regards to the facilities and amenities in the room.

We hope to have the opportunity to accommodate you in the future and hear more about your next stay.

Kind regards

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Spent 4 nights between Xmas and New Year at Quest Collins Street Central and really happy with this accommodation.

Central location is a key. Yes, it was not easy to find the place, because the arrangement - just one entrance door, very small lobby and rooms at the back - is typical for such type of accommodation in Paris, Munich, Prague, Copenhagen and other European countries, but not for Australia where large space considered as must be for the hotel. However, it takes no more than 10-15 mins walk to get to major attractions - Federation Square, Southbank, Bourke Street mall, Parliament House,Chinatown, Melbourne Town Hall, many theaters, etc. Not mentioning hundreds of restaurants around.

Sleeping arrangements were suitable for us. May be we were lucky because we had room on level 7 at the back of the block. So, no any noise from neighboring restaurants, trams, street, etc. The only noise we'd heard was squeaky stairs and corridor floor. However, not many people walked pass our door; so, it was not an issue.

However, there is a still room for improvement...
Firstly, parking. It's understandable that service apartments in the heart of the city could not have their own parking. Quest arrange discounted parking couple of blocks from the hotel and very inconvenient. Just wonder if Quest could make a deal with other parking near by. Also, the "discount rate" of $17 per entry or 24 hrs is above the standard weekend rate of $15 offered by the parking.

Secondly, the media system - cable TV, internet, digital TV, DVD player - is very complex and requires more work. Yes, 244 channels on many languages sound really good, when it works. Unfortunately, the system decided to upgrade the firmware and after restart requested the password. Obviously, I have no idea about that password. Unfortunately, front desk was in the same position - no such info. So, we lost TV in the big room.

However, keeping in mind all pros (rather than cons :-)) and reasonable price, we enjoyed the stay at Quest Central.

All the best and Happy New year to the personnel.

Room Tip: Rooms from Level 4 up and from 02 to 06. You would avoid noise from the street and surroundings.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Alexei B
QuestCollinsSt, Manager at Hotel Collins, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Hi Alex B,

Thank you for your great feedback on our location and services. We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed your Christmas and New Year break here in Melbourne!

We take note of your feedback on carparking arrangements. Just a few months ago, we have reviewed this and found that the other affiliated parking around the area will cost more than $17 per day. However, the weekend rate of $15 per day should certainly be something that we can arrange for our guests.

With the IPTV system, we have just had this installed and come on live in the last few weeks, giving our guests access to 535 TV/Radio channels. There are certainly more areas of improvements that we can provide in terms of in-room user guide and staff training on the new system.

We apologise for the inconveniences caused and look forward to put these improvements in place and have you experience us again in the near future!

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Sharine Boey
Operations Manager

Reviewed December 12, 2012

When I first booked this place, a friend warned me that she'd been there before and foumd the rooms poor and the staff rude. Naturally I was concerned by this but pressed on regardless hoping that was a one off experience.

As it turned out, I found the staff quite lovely, and while I'd describe the room as the lower end of average, it was certainly adequate.

The problem was twofold however.

Firstly, as soon as I reached the door, I heard a noise, and on entering quickly discovered that it was the air conditioner on the room of the building directly out the window for the room (a few meters away). I went and complained immediately and was told that it would stop by 9 at the latest.

The room also smelled... The best description I can give is like it was stale cleaning materials...I'm sure it was cleaned well and regularly, but I suspect ventilation is practically non existant so the aroma of whatever cleaning products just lingered, and over the months (years?) had become quite noticable. I opened the only window that would open (and that not far) in the faint hope of getting some air in, then went out for my evening.

At about 10:30 I interupted my evening to check if the air conditioner had stopped (the front desk closes at 11), and it was still going, and having no idea if it would be going for much longer (a concern, as it was far to loud to sleep with that noise), so I checked out and found somewhere else.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kayla S, Manager at Hotel Collins, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Dear Robert M,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent experience and apologise that you did not enjoy your experience with Quest Collins Street Central.

Thank you for your feedback on the staff and I will ensure to pass this on to all team members.

I have passed on to housekeeping your concerns in regards to the cleaning smell in the apartment and requested they look into alternatives with maintenance department. In relation to the airconditioning unit I will be discussing with the restaurant next door as to the times that they must be switching on these units to prevent this from occuring again.

I hope we have the opportunity to accommodate you in the future and would like to assure you that notes have been made on your file to ensure you are provided a room higher up away from the restaurant.

Again thank you for your feedback as this gives us the opportunity to continually improve.