“Location is great”

Ranked #64 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Auckland, New Zealand
“Location is great”
Reviewed August 10, 2009

As others have commented, the location of this hotel is ideal – right in the centre of the shopping area and at the start of the malls running through the centre city. It’s very close to Federation Square and access to City Circle tram. And there’s a taxi rank right outside. Service was pleasant and it was thoughtful of the receptionist at check in to offer me a room designed for disabled guests with a walk in shower when she saw that I use a walking stick. The room was very large with an enormous bathroom set up for wheelchair guests. I certainly appreciated the space and facilities. The room was one of those looking into the inner court and down to the shopping centre below. While it was quiet as I requested, the lack of much natural light did make the room rather gloomy and you had to keep all the lights on during the day. As I was travelling on business it didn’t worry me much but I wouldn’t like it if I was on holiday. The bed was excellent - one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept on. It was a pity it was let down by the poor sheets that only just fitted and twice a sheet had a small rip in it. Not a great look for a quality hotel! And I was a little dismayed to find that my room still hadn't been made up on the first day when I returned after lunch. It took two requests and 45 minutes before it was done and I could relax in peace.

The buffet breakfast was acceptable but not particularly good value for the money. I found ordering an individual item from the room service breakfast menu was better value and nicer food. I also ordered dinner from room service twice. It was quite slow to arrive the first time and came with a glass of wine I hadn’t ordered which was taken away when I pointed that out. The second time was quicker and on both occasions the food was very good.

My only real complaint was that there was no way of controlling the temperature. The room tended to warm up and the only way to cool it was to turn up the very noisy air conditioning.

If location is your prime consideration, then you can’t do much better.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, August 20, 2009
Dear Lady Bentley,

Thankyou very much for your feedback. I'll make sure the team receive your praise for service.

It is disappointing that breakfast missed the mark for you, it is typically one of our most praised attributes. I'll ensure Chef receives your comments and am confident it will be outstanding on your next stay.

If I can assist personally with any future stay, please let me know.

David Wright

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Geelong
Reviewed July 20, 2009

We stayed at the novotel Melbourne on Collins for a weekend in the city just for 1 night in June. My wife wanted to check out the Melbourne shopping so chose it based on it's location, and it was in a very good spot to explore Collins St, but also well within walking distance of the Bourke St Mall and many options on offer there.
Checkin was fine, and we were shown to what turned out to be a very basic standard room. It was not very big and quite frankly could have done with an update considering the price we were paying. The bed was OK. Personally my wife and I couldn't agree whether it was a 3 or 4 star hotel...I thought it was 3.
The lounge area was quite good and well set out. We ate Breakfast was included and it was good, but not great. However we enjoyed it nonetheless.
The staff were good but then again not great either - much like the food! I think the place would benefit from a bit of updating, particularly the rooms.
I would believe there are better places to stay in the city other than here fro the same price and we will give somewhere else a go next time.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheGeelongCattery
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, July 26, 2009
Dear TheGeelongCattery,

Thanks very much for taking the time to pass on your feedback about your stay.

Your comments about our location are certainly familiar words. Our customers constantly rave about how well located the hotel is and just how many options there are for eating, shopping, theatre etc.

I will ensure the team receive your feedback about the service being good not great. We'll make sure next time you are with us you are knocked off your feet.

Please let me know if I can assist personally with any future stay.

Sydney
Reviewed July 17, 2009

The hotel is located on Melbourne's door step. This is our fourth stay in this hotel.... Rooms are modern, spacious and clean. TV a little small - more like a computer monitor. Bathroom average - Bath/Shower combo! One lift operating from street level to hotel reception. The hotel is currently being upgraded and refurbished, not sure if this is mentioned on the hotel website - this does not greatly impact your visit except if you wish to use the swimming pool and gym. There is a make shift gym in a hotel room, which is acceptable. THe hotel will organise somewhere else for you to use a pool. The hotel bar is a buzz with lots of people. Best person to order a cocktail from is Steven - he is a great cocktail maker. Another enjoyable stay in Melbourne.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank threezacrowd
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, July 20, 2009
Dear Threezacrowd,

Thanks for taking the time to pass on some feedback about the hotel.

I'm sure Steven will be chuffed with your comments. He has anchored our bar since the hotel opened a little over fifteen years ago and is a real star.

The hotel is currently building an additional 56 rooms. We've tried to keep the impact to a minimum so appreciate you acknowledging this in your note. We hope to have a show room ready in September with our first floor opening in April. Our pool and regular gym should be back on line this October.

We'd love to welcome you back for your fifth stay. Please let me know if I can assist personally.

Weliington, New Zealand
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Our family of Mum and Dad, Miss 14 and Mr 9 stayed here for 5 days on the 13th floor in a family suite. The suite consisted of a standard hotel room with queen bed and a room off this with 2 single beds. We booked some time in advance and paid the same price as what we'd normally pay for just 2 of us travelling together. It was great value.

The location was fantastic - easy access to everywhere. Shops and restaurants and cafes literaly on the doorstep. The concierge was really helpful with maps and advice and when we mentuoned we were going to the Aquarium even gave us discount vouchers.

The bathroom was simple but fine - nice big towels. One tiny complaint from Miss 14 and myself was that there was no shower cap in the bathroom(usually a standard) which was a pain for those of us with long hair. But this was minor.

Another suggestion (not a complaint) is that given we were staying in a family room it would have been useful to have a couple of plates or knives and forks in the room (for feeding smaller kids) - I know it's not an apartment but that would have been useful even for us.

Some people have complained about construction noise and while it was disappointing that the pool wa not available we were never disturbed by any noise at all.

Oh, and we didn't see Tom Cruise who was in town when we were. Ah well, can't win 'em all.

Definitely recommend this hotel for families.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Dear Tuataragirl,

Thankyou very much for taking the time to post some great comments about our hotel.

I'm sure the concierge team will be thrilled to receive your feedback. They put their heart and soul into service and love the impact it can have on people.

We'd love to give you some other great places to eat, visit and shop at next time your in town. Please let me know if I can assist personally with any future trip.

Boston, MA
Reviewed June 7, 2009

This is a mediocre hotel portraying itself as upscale. From the moment we showed up it was clear this wasn't up to expectations. We had been traveling in Australia for over a week and the Receptionist was the first, and consistently rude person we'd dealt with. No, they didn't have a room the following night and "you'll have a very hard time finding a place in Melbourne". No offer to help, or provide guidance. We were handed a letter that the pool wasn't working (part of the reason we booked there but not told in advance of the change) and the fitness center was "temporary". Our room was tiny with a plastic tube, no tissues and limited towels, etc. We had just come from a Sydney hotel which was on $20 more but expontentially better.

Looking for a room for another night we went into another hotel and the Receptionist couldn't have been nicer, quite a contrast. He printed off all the available rooms and suggested ways of contacting hotels, etc. And this was from a hotel where we weren't even guests!

The next morning at Novotel the same person was just as rude checking us out. I would definitely not recommend this hotel if you want nice accommodations and an inviting atmosphere.

Internet access as very expensive! We ended up in a hotel a few blocks away for less money and much more accommodating!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, June 14, 2009
Dear Shields_9,

Thankyou for passing on your feedback. I am shocked by your comments and would appreciate it if we could discuss further.

As you will read on most travel blogs, warm, sincere service is one of the key reasons our hotel is so popular.

This one staff member has obviously let down our entire team and had a negative effect on your stay. If you would be so kind to reply to me I would appreciate it. My email address is david.wright@accor.com

Melbourne
Reviewed June 1, 2009

My boyfriend surprised me by booking a room at Novotel Melbourne on Collins. He booked the romantic package but unfortunately the staff did not know what it contained. We had to asks for everytime that they described on their website.
The staff was also not very clear in communicating.
Location is in the heart of expensive town. If you want to be close to tiffany & co (opposite side of the road), louis vitton, channel their all down the road.
If you are looking for spa treatment the only onces available are in-room.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, June 4, 2009
Dear Betott,

Thankyou for passing on your feedback.

I would like the chance to discuss your stay personally. If you would be so kind as to contact me my email address is david.wright@accor.com

Needless to say we are very disappointed to hear that there were issues with your stay. Disorganisation is not a comment commonly linked to our hotel so we would appreciate you giving us an opportunity to resolve it.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 31, 2009

I stayed here with my partner for a few nights - and loved it!! I thought the staff were really friendly and the location of the hotel was excellent. I thought the view of the inside of the shops was unique and interesting! Had an awesome stay, the room was spacious and clean, and the bathroom and bedding were clean and very comfortable. I liked that they had a 24 hour reception and the hotel was so close to everything! walking distance to ..shops, nightlife, restaurants! Made it a lot easier and cheaper to see melbourne. I would definetly stay there again!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear LittleBear86,

We loved reading your feedback to the team. Thankyou so much for taking the time to post a blog.

If you ever need assistance with a future visit, please let me know.