I prebooked this hotel in October 08, it seemed to have everything - city centre location, good sized rooms and spa/pool facilities (always nice after a day sightseeing or in the shops).
We arrived from Bangkok early morning, in the middle of a torrential thunderstorm, but this was no problem our room was ready, lovely big room with a very comfortable bed, thank goodness because we were exhausted and needed a couple of hours sleep before exploring Melbourne. We thought a nice relaxing first day, a couple of hours sleep until the storm passed over, have a look round the city centre and then relax in the pool before going out for the evening.
We had barely dropped off to sleep, when we were awakened to the most resounding noise I have ever heard I thought the building had been hit by the storm, but on looking out of the window we saw the source of the noise huge corrigated sheets being fixed to the sides of the atruim , obviously the rain had stopped play earlier, oh my God I have never heard anything like it , it was as previously described like a jackhammer, the noise echoed round the atruim and there was no escaping, we tried turning the TV full volume either way daytime sleeping was out of the question.
Then I found the slip of paper which said that the pool and fitness area was being rennovated as part of the work - double blow - noise and no pool, I was tired grumpy and very disappointed that despite booking and prepaying the previous October we had not received any notifications regarding the rennovations.
The hotel duty manager (sorry I can't remember your name) was very apologetic and even offerd to refund us if we wanted to move hotels or if we stayed he offered us free breakfasts for the duration of our 5 night stay.
We set off to look at nearby hotels and they were either full on some nights, too expensive, others close by were not of the quality of the Novotel. We decided to accept the compensation by way of free breakfasts and put up with the noise and I could live without a swim in a pool, there was enough water outside!
It was a good move as the work stopped over the weekend and by the Monday we were rested and up by the time the drilling started, and as long you did not to rest during the day it was ok.
The hotel itself is superb, rooms a good size with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, the pillow menu was great as my husband suffers from neck problems.
The breakfast selection was excellent the fresh honeycomb being a very nice touch, really pleased we took the breakfasts.
But what makes this hotel great is the staff they could not have been more helpful, from the concierge at the downstairs door to the manager - thankyou
and the location well if you want central Melbourne you will not find a better hotel,unless you want to pay the Westin price tag.
If we return to Melbourne we will definately stay at the Novotel it will be nice to see the results of the noise!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Melbourne, Novotel Melbourne on Collins offers 380 beautifully appointed guest rooms and suites. The 4.5 Star property is within walking distance of some of the finest attractions in Melbourne. Offering a contemporary restaurant and bar, indoor heated swimming pool & spa and fitness centre, it is the perfect choice for both business and leisure travellers. St. Collins Lane, located conveniently beneath the hotel is now open, Melbourne's most unique fashion destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Hotwire, Cancelon, ACCOR, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Novotel Melbourne on Collins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Melbourne On Collins Hotel Melbourne
- Accor Melbourne On Collins
- Melbourne Novotel