We had not stayed at Novotel on Collins for a while and when a great deal came up while we searching Tripadvisor we grabbed it as we knew we couldn't better the location. We arrived early after a long flight and were made to feel really welcome, our bags whisked away efficiently to be taken to our room.
You can't see much of Novotel from Collins Street as there is just a small entry lobby with lifts that take you up to the main lobby on the 6th floor. In between are shops of the adjacent mall (which was all but vacant during our visit with many major tenants having vacated - perhaps a revamp is on the cards - worth checking if building work is about to occur). When you arrive at the 6th floor and exit the lifts you are facing the bar and restaurant area and by turning left you soon find the check in desks.
We were again warmly welcomed and checked in in a few minutes, even though we were a few hours early. We ended up in a room with twin double beds at the end of a long and winding corridor, but we didn't mind that at all as it was a nice quiet location. The only downside was that it faced the internal atrium that overlooked the shopping centre mall and was very dark. Even with all the lights on it still felt dark (at all times). Nice if you want a restful time, but not too cheerful.
The décor was modern and clean and the room had everything we needed, including a great desk area to work at. The facilities included a mini bar and tea and coffee making facilities, which unfortunately were not replenished daily, but as we had some of our own we didn't worry too much. I'm sure they would have bought more supplies had we asked, it was just disappointing that they weren't replaced without asking.
The bathroom has a shower over the bath, always an issue as you get older, and had better lighting than the room. It came complete with some common items like shampoo, soap, bath gel, but no luxury little extras, like body lotion or hand cream (which would have been nice). My wife commented that it had a good hair dryer (not the on-the-wall type that are usually useless and noisy).
The beds were comfortable. There was a good size built in robe with sliding mirrored doors and a room safe in the wardrobe. There were also adequate drawers in the room for storage.
We are glad we chose to revisit as the location is ideal. A short walk to the Burke Street Mall, through some quaint alleyways and malls and handy to a great range of restaurants and cafes. I used it as a business base and found getting around easy with a cab rank out front and a short walk to tram stops. My wife loved it for the shopping!
We are going back to Melbourne in a few weeks and have booked to stay at Novotel on Collins again, but this time in a premier king room, which has a bit more space. We would recommend this hotel if you are looking for clean, comfortable and centrally located accommodation with really friendly and efficient staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Melbourne, Novotel Melbourne on Collins offers 380 beautifully appointed guest rooms and suites. The 4.5 Star property is within walking distance of some of the finest attractions in Melbourne. Offering a contemporary restaurant and bar, indoor heated swimming pool & spa and fitness centre, it is the perfect choice for both business and leisure travellers. St. Collins Lane, located conveniently beneath the hotel is now open, Melbourne's most unique fashion destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, ACCOR, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Novotel Melbourne on Collins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Melbourne On Collins Hotel Melbourne
- Accor Melbourne On Collins
- Melbourne Novotel