“Convenience of location”

Ranked #76 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed here for three nights In February as had tickets to see 'The Boss' in Melbourne. Primarily wanted to be walking distance to the concert venue at AAMIPark, which it was and that was very convenient. it is also located well for the CBD, tramstops etc.
We didn't eat here however had a drink at the downstairs bar on a couple of occasions. The service was OK and I found they didn't keep the area that clean, could have wiped down tables etc. although not gross by any means. Our room was 'city view' (not what I'd call a view), the bed was comfortable, linen was fine etc, smallish but functional. The bathroom was possibly the smallest bathroom I've ever tried to squeeze in, it had NO vanity space, So no where to put the toiletry bag and if you stood at the sink you could just about sit on the toilet. The shower door opened out so you had to back out of the bathroom a bit to open it and get it. Floor space literally would have been 1 metre x 1 metre. It was reasonably modern but just uncomfortably tiny. Awful lighting also making makeup application a bit hit and miss!!!

Room Tip: I would request the 'treasury gardens view' for more ambience.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
KarenLTaylor, General Manager at Mercure Melbourne Treasury Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

I was disappointed to read that we did not meet all of your expectations on your recent visit. I am sorry that the bar service was not better, and that you were not happy with the size of the bathroom. Should you choose to stay with us in the future please do not hesitate to contact us to ensure we offer the best room type relevant to your requirements.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

This was our first destination in our 3 week tour of Australia. Great location for walking to the city or catching the free City Circle Tram at the end of the block. Breakfast buffet was a pleasant introduction to Australian morning fare. After trying a bite of all offered, I settled in to a few favorites each morning. If you want black coffee push the "long black" coffee button on the coffee machine. Hotel and restaurant personnel were very friendly and helpful. Only downside was the size of the bathroom with very limited shelf/counter space. We were on the 8th floor with city view which suited us fine.

1  Thank barbararob
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Situated directly opposite Treasury Gardens, it is a short walk from the hotel to a stop on the free circular tram route. It is also a reasonable walk to most central places of interest, restaurants and shops. There is a good public transport system and the central streets are a simple grid pattern which facilitates navigation.

The hotel itself is modern with a secure entry system (room card needed to work lift); there are also roomsafes). We had an attractive large 7th floor room, unfortunately not overlooking the gardens, but there was limited storage space and a quite small shower-room. Decor was pleasant, the room was clean, and the bed was comfortable.

Service was friendly and efficient. We had one dinner in the hotel, on a Sunday night; it was uncharacteristically quiet andwe enjoyed the meal. We were there Thursday - Sunday and on the other nights the bar area was very noisy. This could affect rooms directly over the bar; ours was on the seventh floor and very quiet throughout.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms situated on lower floors over the bar area.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the positive feedback, we look forward to seeing you again when you are next in Melbourne.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I was lucky enough to have a room with a view over the park / gardens! Really refreshing to see lots of green from my window, and natural light. (Level 9) Comfortable and very serviceable room. Good shower. Great full length mirror.
I didn't try breakfast so I can't comment.
Pretty central being on the corner of Flinders. I believe the free tourist tram is very close by too.
AC worked well.
Only downside which *might* be a problem for elderly, to enter the building, you have to go up stairs with your luggage. I did spot an intercom at bottom of stairs, (I didn't use it) so there maybe an opportunity to call for help.
Might be best to check with staff when booking if applicable.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Check in was pleasant and no problem getting a room early when I arrived at 11am.

The room was small but had a pleasant modern finish. The bathroom was very small and was noisy. I thought it was an exhaust fan that I had switched on but the noise was constant even with all the switches in the bathroom turned off. The desk was more like a hallway table it was that slim. The space between the end of the bed and the desk was tiny and I was unable to fit in this space and had to work from the corner of the desk. The chair did not have wheels making it hard to manoeuvre. Blinds were thin and allowed plenty of light into the room in the early morning. I much prefer block out blinds.

After arriving back at the hotel at midnight following a work function at which I had not eaten, I tried to call room service. I spent 20 minutes trying to get an answer. I rang all the numbers on the phone and didn’t get hold of anyone. Finally someone did pick up the phone and I ordered a Chicken Focaccia and bottle of water (which I was told to take out of the mini-bar). The Focaccia arrived quickly however it was wrapped in glad wrap and was handed to me. No plates, cutlery or napkin. The Focaccia was served cold and tasted horrible. I took one bite and spat it out.

On a more positive note Breakfast was good and had everything you would expect. The view over the gardens was nice.

The manager on check out was pleasant and apologised for my room service experience which I was not charged for. He also informed me that they were changing the room service night menu.

Overall I was very disappointed with my stay at the Mercure. I expected more from a reputable hotel brand.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank M B

I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay. It is evident that on this occasion we have delivered poor service, specifically referring to the overnight room service. I proffer no excuse and would like to apologize for this level of service which is uncharacteristic and has been discussed with the team to ensure no recurrence. With reference to the light into our rooms, we have blinds and drapes, which should ensure no light comes into the rooms. Thank you for your positive feedback regarding breakfast and I hope that we will see you again to offer you a better experience.
Karen Taylor, General Manager

Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel - good location only 4 stars as expensive wifi. Staff friendly but not very engaging. No free parking and car park that was recommended which you can pay for at the hotel had strange pedestrian entrances. Would stay again but might try somewhere new?!?

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
KarenLTaylor, General Manager at Mercure Melbourne Treasury Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

We hope we will see you again in the future. Please be aware that all our Advantage Plus members and Silver Le Club members receive complimentary WiFi throughout the hotel. Our team would be happy to explain to you how you could become eligible with repeat patronage within the Accor network or hotels. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I booked this hotel as part of a package deal with tickets to the 50 years of James Bond Exhibition at the Melbourne Museum. I had read some mixed reviews on this site so I was somewhat hesitant about what I would find.
Immediately after arriving I was greated by a very pleasant and helpful gent at reception. Ths check-in process was quick and efficient. The room located at the back of the hotel (# 703) and despite not having a view, it was modern, well appointed, clean and everything worked. The bathroom design and amenity was a particular highlight. We stayed two nights and found it perfect for our needs. We will definitely stay here again given its proximity to Fed Square, MCG and Rod Laver Arena plus easy access to Collins Street and Flinders Lane which offer lots of dining options.
For previous visits to Melbourne, I have mostly stayed on the Queen and King Street side of town but we definitely prefer the Spring Street end - quieter and closer to the CBD.

Room Tip: As per most hotels, rooms on high floors as the best. This hotel has 11 levels which lifts you above...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review, I was very pleased to read that you not only enjoyed your stay but will come to visit us again in the near future. Yes, we are in a great location and I am glad we have now become your preferred option for CBD accommodation. We will see you again soon!