“Location good, breakfast average, small bathroom”

Mercure Melbourne Treasury Gardens
Ranked #76 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
A TripAdvisor Member
Adelaide
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Location! Location! We like the location of this hotel and always ask for a park view room. What lets this hotel down is the breakfast which is very average and misses nice breads and fresh fruit like apples and bananas etc. Cereals are sugary and sliced fruit is spoiled by vanilla sticks and other unnecessary adornments. They should leave these foods alone. Grainy breads are absent. The evening meal menu is good (thank goodness).

Reviewed June 10, 2011

We stayed here with the kids and booked 2 rooms back in September, 2010. Had problems then and again this time. This holiday was for my husband and I without the kids for the first time in 18 years. We booked the Privilege 1 queen bed Garden View with balcony. (Their description upon booking) "The ideal choice for extra comfort. Enjoy Deluxe facilities, plus gourmet tea and coffee, bathrobes, slippers, complimentary internet, welcome chocolate, mineral water, magazines and newspapers. Up to 2 adults" .We decided to splurged a bit and the room was an average $247 over 5 nights = $1235. When I checked in there were people being offered free breakfast for their June special. Oh we should qualify I thought and asked when I began my check-in. "No" the guy said, unfortunately you have booked a different offer. I was a bit upset but thought oh I bet you pay for it with a more expensive room rate. Not so. When I came home I punched in 5 nights starting on a Thursday and checking out on a Tuesday and up it comes free breakfast and a total price of $1165. So the room is cheaper and you get free breakfast? Then on our first morning we opened our door expecting our complimentary newspaper to be outside. No - no newspaper. Hey, hang on, there should be magazines too I remember when wondering about our newspaper. When we went to go out for the day I enquired at the desk. Oh no you have to order the newpapers I was told. WHAT???? And the magazines? They should be on your coffee table. I thought oh no way there aren't any there but I checked when I arrived back as I didn't want to be upset about something that was there and I just didn't see it. When I went back upstairs, sure enough no magazines. I left a note for when the room came to be made up asking if we could have some magazines and found them when we arrived back later in the day. As we had drank the coffee and tea supplies, we looked forward to this when we arrived back only to find the supplies had not been replenished. I couldn't believe it and took the opportunity to ask at the desk for more and if they considered nescafe to be gourmet coffee as listed as one of our complimentary items when booking the room. Yes the young man at the desk nodded. Well the next day as we hadn't had our tea and coffee replenished, I left the mostly empty tray on the coffee table for the rooms servicers to see and guess what? Again we came back to the exact tray of a couple of teabags. Over our 5 nights there, they gave us one hot choc sachet. No tea bags and only decaf coffee. I wasn't going to ask as this is someones job and instead of complaining I just don't go back. This hotel is so handy to trams, MCG and Crown Casino but I'm sorry I will be looking elsewhere next time we come back to beautiful Melbourne. Oh and the complimentary internet for this room is only if you have your own laptop. Printer wasn't working this day to print my boarding passes when I used their computer and I had only used it for 2 minutes and wasn't offered a refund.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
NMGW, General Manager at Mercure Melbourne Treasury Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2011

Dear crab67tkf

Thank you for choosing the Mercure again on you recent visit to Melbourne. We strive to exceed the expectations of our guests and I apologise that it was not the case in your experience.

We very much appreciate all feedback as it is with this we can facilitate improvement. Simple services such as the newspaper and coffee should be seamless and I will certainly follow up these and other issues with the team to ensure we get better.

Thank you again, and should you allow us the opportunity to assist with accommodation in the future, please contact myself directly. I will be more than happy to restore your faith in the Mercure.

Yours Sincerely,

Phil O’Brien

Reviewed June 9, 2011

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
bendigo
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I have been to many hotels throughout the world , and have paid the best for quality..
This was a moment to come to the football... and the position was great the friendly service at front counter poor.. the room which l paid anothr 20.00 for upgraded was poor ..
so l will not be here a again..

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

We appreciate the feedback regarding your stay at the Mercure.

While it was pleasing to note that you enjoyed the service and location, I apologise that we let you down with the room quality.

I am happy to advise that the rooms will receive a makeover during winter this year and should you allow us to assist with your accommodation again, I am sure you would find the changes to your liking.

Phil O'Brien

An Accor traveler
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Reviewed June 6, 2011

Excellent Reception/breakfast and dinner staff.
It would have been nice to have had the heating on in the room as it was a cold day. The room however did warm up after we put the heating on but took a while.
As I don't like parking in the 'car park' round the corner I travel by train and taxi which causes some inconvenience as we have quite a distance to travel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I stayed in this hotel during my business trip for almost 20 days. There are few USPs for this hotel and few negatives. USP - its is located in the CBD where market and all other place are at a stone throw away. It is in front beautiful treasury garden.

Negatives - Small rooms and service is slow. Otherwise its OK to saty here.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

It was great to read you had an enjoyable 20 night stay at the Mercure.

We very much appreciate your support and your comments on Tripadvisor and hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards