We stayed at Adina Apartment Hotel South Yarra in a 2 bedroom apartment for 2 nights whilst in Melbourne for a wedding. I have mixed feelings about his property.
Whilst the location was really good (I note one of the last reviewers states "way too far to walk to Toorak Road and Chapel St" - it's literally 350 meters to Toorak Road and 800 meters to Chapel St!), service was excellent and the facilities good, the cleanliness and maintenance of the apartment really let the place down.
It's a fairly common problem with mid-range, self-contained, high-turnover apartments in big cities: the housekeeping staff aren't given enough time per apartment to really do a good job. As a result, the apartment was 'ready' but not properly cleaned and it was very obvious that many corners were being cut to get the rooms turned over quickly and that maintenance was not carried out regularly:
- TV cabinet, both wardrobes, kitchen shelves, top of fridge, laundry cabinet louvre doors, bedside cabinets, under the beds etc very dusty and grimey (especially the shelves under the TV, you could see where a cloth had been run over about 1/3 of the shelf but no one had ever bent down to clean it properly, the dust was thick enough to pull together into a large ball - all results of rushed services)
- Bathroom tile grout was mouldy (and not necessarily ingrained mould, easily removable with bleach and a grout brush)
- Balcony was filthy - cigarette ash, leaves and general dirt, outdoor furniture dirty; clearly never cleaned properly
- Greasy, dirty fingerprints all over the TV screen and base, most of the hung pictures, backs of doors, telephone and virtually all the surfaces
- Windows in balcony doors were absolutely filthy - outside clearly not cleaned in months
- Mould under the sink strainer - again, easily removed with bleach and a brush
- Many of the knobs on cupboards and drawers loose, broken or in need or replacing
- Sticker from someone's water bottle stuck on the bedroom window, obviously no one has bothered pulling back the curtains to dust/clean window!
- Back missing off both TV remotes
- Balcony door latch broken
- Handle missing off dishwasher door
- Infrared device on TV (for Movielink remote) hanging off with exposed wires
- Carpet very stained
- Scuffs all over walls and skirtings
I could go on. Housekeepers are clearly under too much pressure to turn over too many rooms per shift resulting in many cut corners. The result is these sorts of careless oversights and things getting old, dirty and broken quickly.
I was going to say - at >$330 per night (we paid) for these apartments, the standard is incommensurate with the price - but, good housekeeping shouldn't be dependent on price. At any price you should expect a clean room (with no dust bunnies or mouldy tiles!)
Again - the service from Front Desk and the Housekeeper (Level 3) was excellent. The location of the property is great, facilities good and really it was good value for money. Just more attention-to-detail with the housekeeping is needed, from management/Exec. H/K - I'm sure the housekeepers themselves do a good job, they just need more time in the big apartments.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Adina Apartment Hotel South Yarra Melbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Medina Executive South Yarra Hotel Melbourne
- Medina Executive South Yarra Melbourne