“Nice staff, good location, but overpriced” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Adina Apartment Hotel South Yarra

Adina Apartment Hotel South Yarra
Ranked #68 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Los Angeles, California
“Nice staff, good location, but overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Adina South Yarra - the staff were very nice and helpful and the location was good, but it didn't feel like it was quite worth the nightly price.

The apartment itself was fine and we were so grateful that the bed was a normal bed instead of being one of those pillow top beds that most hotels have that are invariably too hot and uncomfortable.

Our main concerns were that there was no top sheet on the bed, only a doona (notice this seems to be an Adina policy). When we asked for one, they brought it up, but it seems like an ill-advised cost-saving policy. Also, the internet is ridiculously expensive - surely wifi should just be free in apartments/hotels these days - I for one would pick a hotel based on free wifi. Also, the large bottle of water in the bathroom was priced at $6.50 - way too much.

Other than these somewhat minor things, would stay at the Adina again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
jturner13, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel South Yarra, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Adina Apartment Hotel South Yarra.

The team and I are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and you had a great sleep in our comfortable beds.
We do offer 30 minutes per 24 hours free WiFi in the lobby.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time your in Melbourne.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I recently stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment with my mum and infant son. It was exactly what I was looking for - a bit of space, a functional kitchen, and in a great position. I think for the price you would struggle to find better.

I will say that the apartment was in need of some sprucing up - some cupboards were a bit wonky, the couch was a bit tired looking, the portable cot had very little mattress left (although I have been told by friends this is normal in hotels - you need to add blankets). I suspect if these things were addressed however, I would not have been able to afford the apartment, so it was a compromise I'm willing to make.

The only thing that was a bit unforgivable for me was that the bathroom was not very clean - once I was in the shower I noticed some hairs stuck to the wall, and the rubber non-slip tub mat was revolting - covered in mould and falling apart. The mat was replaced as soon as I mentioned it to reception, but I think housekeeping should be more on top of that.

We were on the ground floor facing Darling St, and I didn't notice any noise. The blackout curtains were fantastic for darkening the bedrooms.

Service from reception was excellent, very friendly and helpful.

Overall, I think good value for money - spacious, well appointed and in a great location. Reception was great, but Housekeeping maybe needs a little encouragement.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
jturner13, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel South Yarra, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Adina Aparment Hotel South Yarra.

The team and I are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay.
In regards to the issues you have raised I will certainly be addressing those with the departments concerned. The portable cots are brand new and have been purchased from a nationally recognised supplier.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time your in Melbourne.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Great apartment in excellent area, walking distance to Chapel St and any public transport if needed. The staff were obliging and on hand at all hours, the rooms extremely clean, modern and accessorized, client parking and a lovely sunny balcony topped it off. I will most definitely be recommending this hotel and won't hesitate to book it again myself.

Room Tip: Make sure it is on the road side of the building as it is away from the train line and gets the afte...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gypsy_gal4
jturner13, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel South Yarra, responded to this review, April 7, 2013

The team and I are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back next time your in Melbourne.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at this place (the first time was before the chain was rebranded - when it was known as the Medina South Yarra). I booked directly with them and it was done very efficiently. The check in experience as well as the stay itself could not have been faulted. The reception staff, whilst handling matters extremely professionally, also demonstrated a personal touch and a friendliness that make customers feel right at home. My friends and I will be very happy to stay here again.
We've stayed in both one- and 2-bedroom suites and both are very comfortably laid out.
The hotel also provides undercover secured carparking and the location is great - within walking distance of a variety of entertainment and eating out options. Therefore even though it does not have a restaurant or offer room service, we had no problem finding a good place to eat in nearby Toorak village.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Melbourne High School have better views although that side also faces the railway. How...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jturner13, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel South Yarra, responded to this review, March 17, 2013

The team and I are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us & we look forward to welcoming you back next time you require accommodation.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed here for a week in early Feb and were shown a bedroom on the fourth floor away from the train line and street and were promised that when we checked in two weeks later, we would get the same room. They matched the rate on Agoda website which was a Queen premier room, but when we actually checked in the receptionist made it very clear that we wouldn't be in the room that were shown to us because it was a Queen premier room! Different personnel certainly had different views about room allocation. The room we were given on the second floor backed on the train line with trains running constantly till late and express trains running very early in the morning. Angie assured us that with double glazing the noise would be minimal and to try and see how it was that night. Well it was awful!! I was woken up at least twice with the late night trains and again with the very early ones. We were moved to a different room as promised the next day, but it was too late for me to form an objective opinion about the hotel. Reception staff clearly wasn't there to please guests, as previous request was ignored, despite the fact that the hotel weren't running at full house. Coupled this with the dated room/bathroom conditions, we cannot recommend this hotel to anyone. The lack of free wifi with a token half hour free usage in the lobby was very small minded indeed in this day and age of competitiveness, where most good quality establishments are offering unlimited free access! The only saving grace was the location, so please lift your game and spend some money on a good renovation and well trained staff or even the best location in Melbourne would not be enough to save you from obscurity!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
jturner13, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel South Yarra, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay.

Allow me to apologise on behalf of the team for the miscommunication on your room allocation. We do not guarantee any particular room, we can however take your requests and ensure we do our very best to fulfill these prior to your arrival. On this occasion the hotel was fully booked and you were allocated one of our best available rooms. I'm glad we were able to match rates for you from the website, however we do not have the One Bedroom Premier available online therefore the rates must have been the One Bedroom standard.

Our team is here 24/7 and pride ourselves on a high level of service, I'm sorry you did not feel this throughout your stay.
We hope to welcome you back to our wonderful location in the near future.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 weeks only because the Adina Grand wasn't available.

I don't recommend the hotel at all. They don't clean very well and service is nonexistent. I know why because there is always only one person on duty. It's the little things you notice. TV and A/C remotes broken with flat batteries, oven turns off itself half way through cooking a meal. There just doesn't appear to be a regular check done to ensure rooms are up to standard.

I have stayed in many hotels around the world and this is one of the worst.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback you have provided.

The oven did not turn off whilst cooking it simply reached temperature so the light went off until it was required to heat back up to the desired temperature. I believe the oven was cooking when the team member arrived at your room the evening you reported it.

I can assure you our team does do regular checks of each apartment however will ensure your feedback is incorporated into our ongoing training.
Thank you again.

Regards,
Point Piper, NSW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

She and I had three nights here for the Australian Open tennis finals. Good location and, fortunately, internal car parking on two basement levels, with private card access. The one BR self contained suite was spacious, if not oversize, and well equipped, including laundry facilities in the bathroom. Kitchen facilties were more than complete. Double glazing was effective in keeping out train noise. Staff were always helpful and obliging, even before we arrived. There's a nice clean small gym on level G, one floor below reception/street level, with tiny pool, weights room and steam room. About 400 metres easy level walk to all the restaurants, cafes and shops of Toorak Road, and the South Yarra train station. Recommended, not 5 star, but good value.

Room Tip: Rooms above reception level are much better, if possible at eastern end, even though this is near th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
jturner13, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel South Yarra, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
On behalf of the team at Adina Apartment Hotel South Yarra I would like to thank you for your review of your recent stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne Northbank
Chapel Street
Punthill South Yarra Grand
Punthill South Yarra Grand
#69 of 158 in Melbourne

Been to Adina Apartment Hotel South Yarra? Share your experiences!