Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

from $376.21
from $91.20
from $325.28
4,202 results
All reviews phar lap natural history stuffed animals all ages interactive displays carlton gardens great exhibits royal exhibition building few hours rainy day on display couple of hours dinosaurs science imax minerals skeleton
Selected filters
Reviewed July 10, 2019

Any international visitor (or local for that matter) would surely rate this as a less than satisfactory collection. Seemingly designed as a children's educational collection it even fails as that. Minimal interactivity & the outside play area seemed the most popular place. Mine where totally bored after an hour!
Political correctness abounds through the acknowledgement of our aboriginal heritage but this even missed the point. The stuffed animal collection of old was literally stacked up in one area with no reference whatsoever to source or habitate.
We really should go back to square one & start again with this. And to top it off they charge $30 for a couple of hours of parking. I won't be back in a hurry.

1  Thank Ken C
Reviewed July 10, 2019 via mobile

Came here with two kids (6 and 10) both kids enjoyed it greatly. Spend almost 4 hours. Great day out.

1  Thank Travel_Freak_Instyle
Reviewed July 9, 2019

Made the mistake of visiting during school holidays and reckon we were the only adults there without kids. Aside from being busy, it was really interesting and I enjoyed it a lot. The natural history section was great and the Gut Feelings exhibition really interesting. Thought their special exhibition was a little pricey on top of the $15 entry fee so didn't visit it. Stayed 2 hours and this was only just enough.

Reviewed July 8, 2019 via mobile

Wonderful day with all ages of kids. Kids can run wild. Great friendly staff, terrific educational exhibits, awesome play areas. Such a lovely day with the family.

1  Thank SandyBottom2463
Reviewed July 7, 2019

This morning I visited the above exhibition at the Melbourne Museum.

The exhibition held great promise however when I asked for a large-print guide to help me interpret signage/storyboards inside the exhibition space I was told that there were none as a “design decision” had been made not to make them available. The staff member with whom I spoke delivered this news with a shrug of her shoulders – not an apology!

Thankfully I do carry a magnifying glass to assist me with reading so I deployed it to assist me. I should have also brought a torch with me as large sections of the exhibition are dimly lit. I understand that some exhibits may require low-level lighting to assist in preservation, however this cannot be an excuse for such vast portions of the exhibitions being badly lit.

A lot of the storyboards/signage are located at thigh-height (or lower). The constant leaning over to read them with my magnifying glass caused severe back pain. Occasionally, the shadow I cast over the storyboard blocked the light – thereby rendering the text illegible.

There ARE some interesting items on display – as a “Beatles” fan I particularly enjoyed seeing items belonging to John Lennon and a letter to EMI from Paul McCartney – however the worry about whether or not I would be able read the storyboards (combined with back pain caused by leaning down to read the ridiculously low signage) detracted from the overall experience.

It is unfathomable that, in this day and age, a “design decision” was made that actively discriminates against a sector of the disabled community.

Had a “design decision” been made to place flights of stairs inside the exhibition space (thereby rendering it inaccessible to wheelchair users and others with mobility issues) there would be an outcry – hopefully by museum management at the design stage! But the “let’s not print large print guides” decision goes unchallenged and unquestioned – with the result that those requiring such an item to help them enjoy the exhibition have to go without and struggle through as best they can.

Had I not had my magnifying glass with me I would have had no choice but to leave the exhibition as I would have got little out of it other than the wonderful music that played through the headphones and in the exhibition space.

Given the number of positive comments I got from fellow exhibition-goers when they saw me with said magnifying glass, I gather I was not alone in having difficulties with the signage etc inside the exhibition space.

Some years ago I took the National Gallery of Victoria to the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission regarding their not providing large print guides – and won. I intend to take the same action against the Melbourne Museum.

A relative of mine who worked in the museum “business” once told me that exhibition design was all about an ego-trip for the designer and not about usability for the visitor.

This exhibition proves the validity of that statement.

2  Thank BronwynH621