“Interesting for a rainy day”
Review of Melbourne Museum

Melbourne Museum
Book In Advance
$166.76*
and up
Aboriginal Melbourne Tour: Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne Museum and Koorie...
$95.75*
Melbourne Bike Tour with Lunch
$59.84*
Small-Group Melbourne Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #12 of 434 things to do in Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: One of Australia's popular and loved museums! Perfect for the whole family, Melbourne Museum showcases Australian social history, Aboriginal cultures, science and the environment. Inside: Experience Victorian and Australian Aboriginal culture - from the time of Creation through to today; Marvel at the history and development of Melbourne; Walk through a living forest; Surround yourself with life-size dinosaurs and animals from around the world; - Enter a world of dreams, emotions, thoughts and memories in the Mind and Body Gallery; Visit the Children's Gallery for a world designed especially for childrend aged 3 0 8 years old; Be immersed in the latest IMAX films;- Discover the rich history of the World Heritage listed Royal Exhibition Building, and that's just the start! Melbourne Museum is located adjacent to the World Heritage listed Royal Exhibition Building in Carlton and is home to IMAX Melbourne and the Bunjilaka Aboriginal Cultural Centre.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Came to the museum to get away from the incessant rain! Really enjoyed the Aboriginal exhibition: it was informative and moving. The exhibits on the history of Melbourne and Australian wildlife were also interesting. A bit pricey at AUS$10 for adults when many UK museums are free, but kids go free.

1  Thank TravelBug75

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Quite Surprising many things to see here. love the Crystals and gems stones section. We went to see IMAX so we got special discount for AUD5.00 per ticket for adult entry to the Museum.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

We went to the museum because I wanted to learn more about the aboriginal people and the Bunjilaka exhibit turned out to be exactly what I wanted. We spent lots of time there and all four of us learned so much. The kids were captivated by the stories as well as the tools and artifacts. It was beautiful. We probably spent more than 2 hours in that exhibit alone and then walked to the science area where we could easily have spent the rest of the day. (Unfortunately, we only had another hour or two.)

If I remember correctly, the only costs were $10 each for the adults. I haven't found a better value anywhere in Melbourne. If you are looking to learn things about either Australia or the world of science, you won't be disappointed in this museum!

TIP: If driving into the city, the museum's parking lot is pretty reasonable if you can get there before about 9:15 to be eligible for the Early Bird parking. We played in the city most of the day and paid only the $16, I think. A great price in Melbourne!

Reviewed April 10, 2014

most impressed with this one! I may be slightly biased as a lover of all things museumly and a die hard fan of Indianan Jones. I have no experience of what great exhibits international museums have to offer, but coming from Brisbane, with my only real memories of what is on offer up here, this one is exciting to explore. Brisbane museum hangs its head in shame! Thanks Melbourne for restoring my faith in what Australia can provide in public attractions. I originally traveled to Melbourne for the weekend to see the Tutankhamen exhibit which consumed my evening there but returned a year later to explore the museum in its entirety. If you enjoy this stuff half as much as i do, then the Melbourne museum is definitely worth making a day of it

1  Thank Christopher M
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We took some English visitors who were most impressed by the exhibits Wheel chair access is brilliant. We had nowhere near enough time but spent much of our time in the Melbourne and the aboriginal exhibits which were of great interest to our visitors Will go back again It was good value apart from the café which was overpriced and rather ordinary