“5 Star, Great hotel”

Park Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #8 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed April 19, 2009

Previous reviewers have said it all really.

Large modern room with King Bed. Good bed, and quiet room so we slept well. Plenty of marble and large well equipped bathroom area. The TV in the bathroom was a nice touch.

Location is at the East end of Melbourne close to live theatre area and China town section, with countless restaurants. Also a pleasant 15 minute walk through the Fitzroy gardens to the Melbourne Cricket Ground if you are attending a sporting event there.The area is quiet and next to St Pat's Cathedral.

There is an underground carpark run by Wilson Parking. It's fairly expensive, but convenient as you can catch a lift up from the parking area straight into the foyer.

Possibly a better option would be valet parking. They quote $30. Not sure if this is per day or per stay.

Staff were helpful. We'll definitely go back again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scotty077
Write a ReviewReviews (2,846)

Reviewed April 6, 2009

Having just recently stayed at the Park Hyatt Melbourne I have been blown away by the amazing facilities and calibre of the staff. I have been to Melbourne many times and decided to stay at the Park Hyatt for a change and I am honestly wrapped as it is possibly my favourite hotel in Australia. Steven and Katherine at reception were amazing they both surpassed every expectation we had. We were upgraded due to our anniversary and enjoyed all of the beautiful facilities. We were recommended to a restaurant called Cicconis which was fantastic. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone.

3  Thank austraveller48
Reviewed March 25, 2009

Lovely room which was spacious, quiet and a pleasure to spend waking time in. And given the outdoor temperatures in Melbourne during February, we spent far more time in our room than we normally would when having a weekend interstate.

Staff were friendly, without being intrusive, polite without being obsequious, happy to give late checkout and overall an absolute delight. Dealt with lift breakdown efficiently and apologetically without unneccessarily labouring the point.

Would happily stay again.

3  Thank Sydneynavigators
Reviewed March 24, 2009

I booked to stay at the Park Hyatt for Valentines Day night with my partner. It turned out to be the worst thing I could have done. I arrived at the hotel, to check in at 4pm. I asked if I could pay up front on my savings card, so I could save time upon check out the next day. I was told not a problem but an extra $100.00 would have to be taken from credit card, just in case we used the mini bar or anything that would cost extra. I said not a problem, and she proceeded with the transactions however she had pressed cancel on my savings card as it was processing, and when she tried it again it was declined. I called my bank right then and there and was told that the amount had be taken of card, however the girl insisted on fighting me and telling me that it wasnt on her transaction list therefore it didnt go through. I let her speak to my bank directly and they told her the same thing, she told her duty mananger and they said , that they would sort it and they proceeded to check me. Then at 2am that night we were evacuated down 16 flights of stairs into the carpark basement then up the alley way to the fron of the hotel, we sat ther for 2mins exactly before being told we could go back with no explanation as to why we were evacuated or an apology. Then when we proceeded to check out they tried to charge me for the room again, when I told the guy this time what had happend the night before he said not problem they would look into it further and give me A CALL if there were any problems. I never recieved any call so i assumed everything was fine. I went to the bank to get a statement of both my saving and credit card statements just in case they did call. Thats when i found out, not only had they taken the original payment of my savings card and the extra $100.00 of my credit card that i was told would be refuunded, they had taken the full amount of the room off my credit card and charged my credit card 14 times all different tranasaction amounts. They had cherged me $900.00 for one night stay in there most basic room on the night of an evacuation. I called furious and demanded a refund I faxed then all documentation and statements and the proceeded to take days to look into something that was right there in front of them in black in white. I also demanded them to pay my credit card fees for them overcharging it with paymentts I never authorised. I was finally given a refund of the all the extra money they took but a full refund for my horrible experience. I was offered a free dinner alcohol not included that we accepted and took and was disappointed in also. We never receieved an apolog for antyhing or an explanation. The service staff made us feel small and insignificant and worthless. I would never stay here AGAIN EVER. It was the most horrible experience the staff refused to believe me or even my bank and they were on there high horse the whole time. I recommend this hotel to no one.

2  Thank sooty69melbourne
Reviewed March 21, 2009

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights in a king suite. Spectacular bathroom, spacious and well designed complete with television and New York patterned marble. The main bedroom and living area on the other hand werent to the same standard. The walls were lined with dark wood and inital impressions were "wow". However after realising that the windows didnt open and no matter what we did we were unable to lower the aircon below 20 degrees it affected our experience and sleep. The only other feedback i would give to the hotel would be regarding the style of furniture. Although the rooms are spacious and the bathrooms grande, the furniture is a little bubble like in design and is not to the same standard as everything else in the hotel. The staff at the hotel were perfect. Polite, professional and offered an extremely high level of service. I would definately stay here again however next time check the aircon as soon as we get into the room.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Wgeine
Reviewed March 20, 2009

In Melbourne for a two night business visit - my secretary booked me in to the "wrong" Hyatt. Nevertheless I was quite happy with my stay. The room was beautiful, a big king size bed, good furniture and a lovely bathroom (with its own TV). The gym was well equipped. I had room service both nights - the food was good (if expensive) and came quickly. On the second night they didn't get my order quite right (complaint 1). The second morning I was woken early by two people talking in the hall way outside my room - should probably be more sound proof (complaint 2). The staff were generally polite and efficient. While not perfect the experience was pretty good.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 9, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights over Valentines day with my partner in a spa king room. I chose to stay at this hotel as we stayed once before and it was really great. When we arrived this time the lifts were out of order so we had to use the service lifts which was awful. This went on all day. I must admit we arrived at 10am and we were checked in immediately. Just as we got back to our rooms that afternoon the fire alarms were going off so we left the room walked down 12 flights of stairs to get to the lobby. When we got down there we were told it was a test and all guests were warned but we didn't hear anything about a test of the alarms. We had room service on the first night and decided to just choose something of the kids menu that was cheap and the food wasn't too bad. The meal and drinks were meant to come to $41 instead it was $79. When I rang up they said that we were in the wrong and we didn't explain what we wanted properly. I was furious as I was clear with what I wanted. In the end we had the money deducted off the bill. We had high tea in the tea lounge which was a waste of money, go somewhere else if you were thinking of trying it out here! On the last night at 2am the fire alarms went off again. My partner rang to see if we did need to evacuate and were told yes. We went down the 14 flights of stairs to get to the basement this time and we were stuffed. We had to walk out the side of the hotel, up the ramp to the driveway and to the lobby. When we got there they said it was a false alarm and we can go back to our room. There was no explanation at all. When we checked out in the morning there was no apology. We left feeling like we had just wasted a whole lot of money. When we got home to Brisbane I wrote a letter about my experience which was handled well and I was given sorry's and excuses for everything and eventually was given a free nights accommodation. I told them I didn't want free accommodation all I wanted was an explanation and sorry for the trouble they caused us. I was dissapointed with this stay and I think I would try the westin next time as it looks nice and great location. The only thing is for the same price you get a much nicer room at the park hyatt.