“this is a gem of a hotel”

Park Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #7 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
suburb of Philadelphia, PA
“this is a gem of a hotel”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

If I had a magic wand and wanted to create an ideal hotel, this would be it. After a 23 hour flight, we arrived quite drained and early (10:30am) for usual check-in. The front desk had our room ready within 15 minutes. When we arrived our suite could not have been better appointed. Oversized marble bath/closet with jacuzzi tub, separate shower with high water pressure, double bowled glass sinks & secluded toilet area. Coffee/tea service along with fully stocked bar/champagne glasses, vanity area/makeup mirror, double desk, complimentary water bottles and mattress toppers. Slippers, robes, electric current changers, mirrored bath TV, and a bose system round out the amenities. There is not one item that could be added to this room that would make for a better stay. Bravo!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dawson_Robert, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear perfectvacation,

Thank you for your feedback. I was most pleased to learn you enjoyed your recent stay and found all the hotel’s services and amenities to your satisfaction. We were delighted to have had the opportunity to accommodate you and look forward to welcoming you back to the Park Hyatt Melbourne soon.

Yours sincerely, Robert Dawson – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stayed at the Park Hyatt for 2 nights on a short break. It's a quiet leafy location, just off to the corner of the CBD. I had requested, and was given, an early check-in which I greatly appreciated. My room was clean, spacious and luxurious. I found the business centre handy with its iMac, PC and a printer. The lap pool looked inviting and the gym had a good range of equipment. I enjoyed the full buffet breakfast at the in-house restaurant, Radii, but was less impressed by it at dinner due to slow service and the tough meat in my duck dish. The Park Hyatt is a wonderfully relaxing place to stay, but probably best try the great range of restaurants nearby for dinner.

Room Tip: Although my room was on the first floor overlooking the cathedral, the double glazed windows meant t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SydneyMum3
Dawson_Robert, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear SydneyMum3,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback. I was delighted to learn that you found most of the hotel’s services and facilities to your satisfaction, in particular our Park Club Health & Day Spa. Your comments regarding dinner in radii restaurant have been duly noted and shared with our Executive Chef and restaurant manager. We look forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Melbourne sometime in the new year, if not before.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We recently spent 7 days in our first trip to Melbourne. The first four days were at the Westin Melbourne followed by three nights at the Park Hyatt. Our previous experiences with the Park Hyatt Sydney led to expect much more from the hotel. The staff overall had a whimsical demeanor and never went out of our way to greet us. Our room had electrical light problems (lights turned off and on when you were in the shower) and it was located on the side of the building where you heard PA announcements from the hospital most mornings. No treats delivered to your room and in our case they weren't concerned to deliver us the daily paper we requested.

It will not be a hotel we stay at again. The Park Hyatt ambience did not exist.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RCharlesEpperson
Dear RCharlesEpperson,

Thank you for your feedback. I was sorry to learn of your disappointment with regard to your recent stay with us. Your comments in reference to the lighting, staff demeanour and lack of newspapers have all been noted and action taken accordingly. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and despite your unfortunate experience, I do hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to Park Hyatt Melbourne.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Whilst just an overnight stay passing through Melb, the Park Hyatt met and exceeded the high Hyatt levels of comfort and excellence in accommodations. Small beef is the location, sort of a little out of the way and no bar facilities open on the Sunday evening, which meant a walk some ways. Breakfast was excellent, although a little on the upside of dollars. Room and trappings were wonderful

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dawson_Robert, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Dear David_P,

Thank you for your comments. It was pleasing to read that you found most aspects of our hotel’s service and facilities to your satisfaction. I was sorry to hear that you were unable to experience radii bar during your stay, the Lounge usually serves drinks up until 11pm if you happen to be visiting on a Sunday again. We certainly appreciate your valuable feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed November 26, 2013

After staying at the Sofitel and Westin on previous visits, I decided on the Park Hyatt for one reason and one reason only, The GM of this property, Robert Dawson takes the time to read and reply each Tripadvisor review. To me this has value. So I booked my 6 night stay here in between my business trip to Indonesia. Bottom line up front, I am glad I did!
My overall impression: A very beautiful hotel, quite and in a convenient and pleasant location.
LOCATION: I found the hotel's location very convenient - it's close to the shopping streets of the central district, with a few great restaurants within walking distance, very close to the Melbourne Cricket Ground and Rod Laver arena, and a couple of hundred meters from a stop for the (free) circular tram line that runs around the central area (and past the Federation Square museums, Southbank, Crown casino complex, and Melbourne aquarium). As well as being convenient, the location is quiet and peaceful, because the hotel is set back from the road and with large public gardens behind it, a leafy area and a church out the front, a cathedral next door, and a garden courtyard in the middle.

ROOMS: The design of the hotel is luxurious and quite. My room was very beautiful -The best features the natural light in the bathroom.

SERVICE & FOOD: Upon checking in staff were friendly and professional, after having requested a room on a high floor, I was assigned an upgraded beautiful room with a spa bath on the 15th floor of the Tower wing, overlooking the hotel forecourt and Parliament Sq. towards the central city. I did dine at the hotel's Radii restaurant, great service, excellent food, it was great! The club lounge was a great place to have drinks, The day spa was also very good, the staff was friendly but professional.
The selection for the buffet breakfast was nothing special, typical what you would find in any hotel.
Housekeeping service was outstanding! - My room was kept super-clean and never short of amenities, and the staff went about it quietly (no noise from them cleaning other rooms).

RECOMMENDATION: I will be staying at the Park Hyatt Melbourne again because of the quiet, convenient location and the nice rooms other Melbourne hotels look a bit mediocre in comparison - I have stayed at the Westin, Sofitel and Windsor, and they just don't look nearly as good as the Park Hyatt. There was a little inattentive service in some areas, but this was outweighed by the hotel's good points, including the beautiful rooms, excellent housekeeping service and the friendly, helpful staff at the front door, desk reception, spa and Radii.
Overall from this picky traveler I would say the Park Hyatt Hotel is among the best in Australia and nearby region that I have stayed at.
On a side note: I did try to meet the GM but was never able to connect with him personally. I hope to meet with him on my next trip in January.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank F5993GMericd
Dear relax808,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback. I was delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and found all the hotel’s services and facilities to your satisfaction. We appreciate your kind comments and I am sorry that we did not have the chance to meet on this occasion. Hopefully we will have the opportunity on your next visit so do let me know when you plan to return by emailing me at melbourne.park@hyatt.com

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night for our wedding anniversary.
We had a Club King room. Fantastic view of the city and nice large room with big bathroom. The toiletries supplied smell divine....Bergamot. We had drinks and canapés in the Club Lounge and thoroughly enjoyed this, indulging in NZ sav blanc and food such as won tons and spring rolls. Brekky was in their signature restaurant Radii, and made to order pancakes were delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely return. We've stayed in many hotels around the world and they are often very noisy at night. The Park Hyatt was surprisingly quiet. Staff were all very friendly and obliging... Myrna in Club Lounge was chatty and efficient. Thankyou to the young gentleman at the Front Desk who found our missing phone in our room! Well Done Park Hyatt!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dawson_Robert, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Spudcakes,

Thank you for your feedback. It was very pleasing to read that you enjoyed our hotel’s services and facilities whilst staying here for your Anniversary. We are most pleased that you enjoyed the Club Lounge facilities in particular and your commendations in reference to Myrna and the Front Desk team have been duly passed on. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Melbourne, Vic
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We decided to treat ourselves to a Friday night in the city and stay at a classy hotel. The Park Hyatt was a good choice. We got a deal which included breakfast on Saturday morning and valet parking. I drove into town for the first time, and it wasn't as daunting as I'd always thought it would be. The valet parked the car and I was able to go shopping for a couple of hours, before my husband finished work and walked up and met me at the hotel. We went for a swim in the day spa area - the pool was quite large and I was able to do lengths in it. There was only one other person swimming while we were there. After our exercise, we sat in the spa which was very relaxing.
After all the walkingin town and swimming I was weary, so we just had dinner in the room, which arrived promptly and was delicious.The room itself was spacious and comfortable, and the bathroom was gorgeous. Full marble with a large spa with a (second) television set into the wall above it. It was all very luxurious and we loved it. In the morning, we had the full breakfast provided which was delicious and of a very high quality. The checkout was at 11am, so we enjoyed a bit of a sleep-in. My husband remarked that staying there on the Friday night made the weekend seem longer. We really enjoyed it.

Room Tip: we stayed in the Park King room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear slinky1100,

Thank you for your feedback. I was most pleased to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay but also had the opportunity to experience most of the hotel’s services and facilities, in particular the Park Club Health and Day Spa. We look forward to having the opportunity to have you stay again whether that be for a special occasion or to simply relax and unwind.