“Tea Lounge revived me”

Ranked #8 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed May 8, 2013

A very sophisticated spot for afternoon tea. Came here for a mid-week birthday treat and felt thoroughly revived after progressing through my caddy full of treats over the best part of an afternoon. Loved being seated in a full lounge, window seat, with courtyard views (and not relegated to smallest table setting, as solo patrons sometimes are). Every detail in the tea lounge is immaculate, without being prim or intimidating. Though I'm partial to a dainty salmon and caper sandwich or two, have to say the main attraction were the petit deserts. The only crumbs I left behind were the macaroon, which has been done to distraction. Scones were delectable and serving generous. Thankyou to the lovely young Asian gentleman (rick?) for the uniquely warm service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review on Trip Advisor about your wonderful experience at Park Hyatt Melbourne.

I was very pleased to read your super note about your high tea experience and can advise that I shared these with our director of food and beverage and in turn we have also awarded Rick with some points. Feedback of this nature really assists us in our day to day operation as it further cements how delivering great service and going the extra mile is worthwhile.

Please let me know when you plan to return so that I can personally look after your requirements.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Set on a quiet side street just a couple of minutes walk from the main thoroughfare, this property exceeded expectations on comfort, cleanliness, level of service and value. Having not stayed in a Hyatt for some time, I was pleasantly surprised to see the high level of quality being put forward. In addition to being helpful with small day-to-day requests, the staff went the extra mile to provide advice and assistance when illness sidelined one of our number. A true oasis of calm and relaxation. And did I mention the excellent spa and exercise facilities that are complementary for hotel guests?

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review on Trip Advisor! I liked the title of your piece too! “A True Gem!”

Please do let me know when you plan to return so that I can personally look after you.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Luxury rooms, big king beds that are so soft and comfy, wide bathrooms light and airy. Good showers. Downstairs great food at Radi restaurant or a simple coffee enjoying the sunday piano near Radi is an experience to remember. If taking a swim it's just above the lobby level with the spa and beauty area. Great pool. Only a five minute walk to get into famous Collins Street.

Room Tip: Cathedral (St Patricks) view is excellent. Get a King Room. Enjoy
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 53bob22
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Having just read your review on Trip Advisor I would like to thank you for taking the time to do this.

It appears you were able to sample many of the hotel’s facilities, from radii, to the tea lounge and indeed the hotel’s swimming pool! All good and I was delighted to read that your experiences were all those of good ones.

Please let me know when you plan to return so that I can personally look after you.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a 5 star hotel with price tag to match. But the size of the rooms and bathroom, plus lovely staff made it worthwhile.

Check in staff were friendly and quick. The concierges I encountered were all friendly and courteous. Cleaning staff and room service staff were all equally friendly too.

The room was big and the King bed was so comfy. Had a fantastic night's sleep.
The bathroom/walk in wardrobe was huge and I love big bathrooms! Great toiletries and a tv if you wanted to watch from the bath.

The shower room plus spa bath room set up was interesting though. Leaving the remote control for the bathroom tv on the bath ledge was a bit odd considering you would splash water all over the shower room when you used the shower.

Only other downside I could think of was that the brown colour scheme used throughout the room and hotel was a bit dated in my eyes.
But that's being picky.

I used the gym facilities and although it was a smallish room it was totally adequate. The pool area looked great.

Location was good too being close to the CBD but even better is that it's close to Fitzroy which is a great alternate place to eat and shop. Try Huxtable on Smith street for a cool restaurant in that area.

I paid a non refundable sale rate which was similar in price to lesser hotels so it wasn't as pricey as I thought it would be. With this in mind I recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank AussieLondon362

Thank you for your excellent review on Trip Advisor….. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to sample many of the hotel’s facilities, the gym et al. Great too that you managed to explore the local surrounds too. I know Huxable too and agree with you in that it’s a great establishment. Lots to choose from here in Melbourne. That said, I hope you managed to dine in our hotel restaurant too… radii restaurant & bar.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

First of all: The location of the hotel, right at parliament place, is great. Also the portier as well as the reception staff is really nice. What we didn't like at all were two things: First of all the wifi, which costs 30$/day without any free option. I get tired of getting free wifi at starbucks but paying so much at 5* hotels. Second, they failed several times at making up our room, once they forgot both the morning and the evening service...

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Schdero
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor. All great but of course the mere mention of the word mediocre was alarming!!

The Internet. Alas this is not as simple as our giving it away as we purchase it from a third party and with that we sell it on. I can assure you that we are looking at a better way to combat the negativity with charging and will hopefully have something to communicate soon! The other matter in terms of no make-up or for that matter, turn down service was also rather concerning! While I do not know the room you were in, I will certainly share this with our housekeeping team as this is certainly not the standard and for that I am terribly sorry.

I hope these matters did not entirely mar your stay and that you will be back soon. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband booked this beautiful hotel for my 19yo son and myself for 5 days in March/April 2013. We initially had interconnecting rooms on the 18th floor, mine was a Club King. It was a magnificent spacious room/suite overlooking St Patricks Cathedral, so we saw the crowds arrive for Easter, a sight to behold. My sons room was also spacious, just without the extra lounge area. Our rooms were pristine, modern, and extremely quiet, even though the Hyatt Club Lounge was on the same floor. Could not fault the rooms, but as we decided to extend our stay for a further 5 days opted to downgrade to cheaper rooms. So for a lot less money we moved to the 3rd floor, interconnecting again. Rooms were fabulous again, just no additional lounge area, but were a bit noisier, In particular on the Saturday night, when a group of drunken middle-aged men returned to their rooms across the hall about midnight and were extremely noisy for quite a while...so annoying. But hey, that could happen anywhere. All the staff were really friendly and helpful, especially reception staff who were willing and happy to do anything I asked. The bar downstairs is huge and really funky. The gym, steam room and spa treatments were all terrific. Only downsides for us, to this beautiful hotel are (1) it's location....it's up behind Parliament House, so bit of a walk to get to main shopping area that we were interested in, i.e. Myers, David Jones, etc, (2) only one restaurant....the food was magnificent but lots of dishes that we weren't interested in, but that's just our personal taste, (3) room service menu...again, the food was great but lots of dishes not to our personal taste. We found quite a few restaurants/cafes not too far away from the hotel though which was handy, but we didn't want to walk the streets on our own after dark, so usually ate dinner early. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Karen C

Thank you for you all in all super review on Trip Advisor.

I appreciate your honesty in that while you really enjoyed our stay you felt that some things could have been better. Rest assured all that you outlines will be shared with the entire team.

Will you be back? I certainly hope so and that when you do have some dates in mind you will contact me so that can personally look after you!

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed here in January 2013. We had a room on the Cathedral side. This is a five star hotel and with a deserved reputation. The room was large and well appointed. It has everything needed for a hotel such as this. The staff were excellent and very friendly. We had access to the Club Lounge and enjoyed the hospitality there. Great value.
All up this is an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dannyg555

Thank you for your review titled “an excellent hotel!” How does one beat that? Certainly a great heading and I thank you for taking the time to write this. Really delighted you enjoyed your stay and I hope you’ll return and when you do you will contact me so that I can offer you some assistance.

I trust you are well and thank you again for your rave review!