“Best in Melbourne!”

Park Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #8 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We spent New Year's Eve at the Park Hyatt for the second time after trying another top Melbourne hotel in 2011. The Park Hyatt is a high quality, beautifully appointed hotel a 3 minute walk to Collins or Bourke Sts, the heart of the CBD. We stayed in a suite, beautifully appointed, spacious with a world class bathroom. The reception staff were helpful, friendly and efficient. Breakfast in Radii restaurant was most enjoyable with a wide range of choices. The Park Hyatt is no budget hotel but you do have to pay a price for luxury and quality in my opinion and it would be hard to find a better luxury hotel in Melbourne. We will return.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gglg

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed at the Park Hyatt Melbourne twice over Christmas and New Year whilst visiting family. We had a King club room for 6 nights and after a short side trip stayed in a King Room. The King Club room was a huge open plan sitting and bedroom. There was a separate walk in wardrobe attached to the spacious bathroom. We made full use of this space for Christmas shopping and presents. The King Club room had a view of the Melbourne Cricket ground. The room decor, dark wood and art deco was beautiful but designed for soft lighting. The public spaces in the Hotel are luxurious and ostentatious, dark marble floors with a complex interlocking circles pattern and a lot of sculpture. The location is quite secluded, close to a large church, Parliament and the Treasury Gardens it is less noisy than other central Melbourne Hotels. It is still within a couple of minutes walk of Collins and Bourke Street where there are numerous shops, restaurants and theatres. The Club Room only serves continental breakfast on Sunday's, it's elegant and old fashioned with an excellent view. On other days breakfast in the Lobby Restaurant had good food but very indifferent service with long waits for coffee and butter which on several days only arrived after several follow ups. I've stayed in a lot of hotels over the Christmas period and know that the best staff aren't always available but the consistent confusion here was worse than I would expect. We used the pool and the gym which were spacious and had good changing facilities. We also stayed in a King Room, this didn't have the huge space of the Club room but still had a separate wardrobe. It was absolutely comfortable for a short stay.

1  Thank Lornimouse
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This was another return visit. It's hard to put my finger on what it is that doesn't quite work at this hotel for me, but I always leave feeling not particularly happy about it. I have stayed here several times (reviewed twice) and feel the same way each time. On the plus side, the rooms are great; the bathrooms wonderful; the rooms and public areas are meticulously clean and well maintained; the staff are professional and polite ... and perhaps that's it: they are professional and polite, but not friendly - especially when compared with the Park Hyatt Dubai (my favourite) and the Park Hyatt Washington. If that's all I have to complain about, it's not much is it? :)

I travel to Melbourne regularly for work, and I don't think I'll go to the Park Hyatt again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Beautiful, stunning art deco architecture tucked away in a secluded spot in the city of Melbourne. Hidden gem. Service was generally excellent. We stayed for a little less than a week and found it extremely relaxing and enjoyable. Luxurious appointments. The incredible size of some of the rooms makes you feel special.

Room Tip: Pick a room overlooking the church
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Check in time is 2pm, we arrived around 1pm and our room was not available, then at 220pm when we returned our room was still not ready, it was not until 320pm when I had to again approach the staff at concierge that our room was changed and we were given our room key. The room was the same, however the view was not. (I was told the view was good, you could only see the centre of the hotel, not any of Melbourne) Then on top of that I had to ring again and ask for our bags to be delivered to the room, this is substandard compared to other 5 star hotels I have stayed at. The simplest of things, seemed so hard. Never again.

• Stayed: January 2013
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, albeit they being really rather negative! Of course I was not thrilled to read what you wrote and would like to apologise for the issues you encountered while staying here. I note your saying that you will never return. That said, should you decide to, then I would insist you contact me directly so that I can assist you with your accommodation requirements. It would be a pleasure.

I trust you are well and thank you again for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Melbourne, Victoria 3002 Australia
Phone: +61 (0)3 9224 1234
Email: sholto.smith@hyatt.com

Reviewed January 3, 2013

The good:
Superb beds, perfect temperature, sublime views, fast room service, attentive staff, great pillows (and I'm married to the fussiest pillow user ever!), all the amenities you need.

The bad:
Our room faced a young family and the noise travel between doors that directly faced each other was terrible. On the upside management were very fast to address the culprits when I rang (note for parents: I love children but I don't need to hear you screaming at yours at 5am!)

The ugly:
Absolutely nothing!

Room Tip: The higher the better!
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Nice spacious rooms, good decor, excellent service and a great location. Enjoyed my visit - no issues. The only suggestion is that the hotel could do with a all day coffee-shop - the lounge is a poor compromise. Anyway, that was not a problem as Melboune is full of great cafe's and the one across the road (Spring Street) does an awsome breakfast.

Room Tip: The rooms with the spa option are nice and only marginally more expensive, The rooms on the higher f...
1  Thank Softlanding