“Great Hotel w/A Great Location”

Ranked #7 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Palm Springs, California
“Great Hotel w/A Great Location”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

The Park Hyatt is a great hotel. There is very little to complain about (other than internet charges). The interior design is a grand and dramatic example of deco design. The rooms are spacious and nicely appointed. I was unexpectedly upgraded to a suite by the front desk simply because it was available. This type of guest service is the norm at The Park Hyatt Melbourne.

I had read reviews on TripAdvisor that the spa and pool areas were closed, but this was NOT at all the case. Both were fully open and functioning as purposed.

The daily High Tea is very nice and a great break toward the end of a workday.

The hotel restaurant is called radii. My stay include the breakfast buffet which was very good and I found that there was something to eat for every taste.

The location of the hotel is great for business or holiday. I would definitely stay at The Park Hyatt Melbourne again. By the way, I also checked out the nearby Grand Hyatt, but much preferred The Park Hyatt. I found it cleaner and not as corporate feeling.

No disappointments other than I dislike paying internet charges.

Room Tip: If you are noise sensitive, keep in mind that the Catholic Cathedral across the street rings bells r...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write comments on Trip Advisor. I must apologise for taking so long to respond but I have been on holiday, returning only last week.

I think from reading your comments that it would be fair to assume that you enjoyed your stay. Needless to say I was disappointed to read that the internet charged marred your otherwise positive stay with us. The internet issue is a tricky one as the service is provided to us via a third party and with that, we are charged with each and every connection, the latter of which we then on charge. Of course this is of little interest to you but I would like to let you know that we are always looking into ways to better the arrangement but at this point we are contractually obliged.

Please do let me know when you plan to return so that I can ensure you are well received and looked after.

Best regards,

Email: sholto.smith@hyatt.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Austin, TX
Reviewed March 19, 2012

The room was amazing - large and comfortable with every comfort. The staff was terrific.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KJTHiker
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

While your post was short, it was too the point and indeed positive!!

Please contact me via any of my below mentioned contact details when you plan to return, so that I can personally look after your accommodation requirements.

_____________________________________________
Park Hyatt Hotels
Luxury is Personal
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We stayed at the Park Hyatt, for one night only on a flying trip to Melbourne. Having arrived several hours early we asked the reception whats the possibility of checking in early would be. An hour later (12:30pm) we were advised that our room in ready for us. This was great as having driven from Canberra that morning we were in desperate need of a shower.

All the staff there were wonderful and helped with every query/request.

I would definitely recommend to anyone visiting Melbourne for a short or long period. Stayed in the Park King

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gavin J
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor!

Your positive comments are greatly appreciated and have been shared with the hotel team as it is through positive comments that further cements the emphasis on our delivering a high level of customer service and that going that extra mile can and does make a difference.

Please let me know when you plan to return so that I can personally look after you.

Best regards,

Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel now on at least 6 occasions predominantly for business but often extended to include a weekend. There are two Hyatts in Melbourne and I have stayed in both but prefer the Park Hyat. What I love about this hotel is the fantastic location in Melbourne...close to one of Melbourne's great assets, fantastic parks with wonderful great old trees and gardens established in the days when rainfall was plentiful in Melbourne, and a great city was defined by its English style gardens. The gardens are great for morning walks or runs...followed by another of Melbourne's great assets good coffee..the top of Collins Street and the European coffee shop and restaurant in Spring Street are a short walk just across the street and offer the best in coffee and food that Melbourne has to offer. The hotel itself is quiet with very good, prompt 5 star service. Rooms are spacious, marble bathrooms also very spacious, and beds extremely comfortable with high quality mattresses and bedding. I would recommend requesting a room high up at the front to get nice city and parkland views...alternatively rooms higher up at the back have expansive views across parkland and city, with glimpses of the bay and ocean beyond. A good choice all round.

Room Tip: Higher rooms at the front or back of the hotel have nice views...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank LizandTerry
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, March 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a response on Trip Advisor.

It was most pleasing to read how much you like our hotel and indeed its surrounds. Like you I could not agree more. Then again I suppose I am bias!! That said you painted a great picture to those who have not been to our hotel and thank you again for that.

I write this trusting you are well and wish you a pleasant weekend.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 8, 2012

We stayed in a Club Deluxe King Suite at the Park Hyatt for 7 nights in February 2012. The room was very well laid out and more than spacious enough for an extended stay. The room has a king size bed, office area and sitting area, plus a massive bathroom including a spa tub with its own television. We had a beautiful view of St Patrick's Cathedral, facing a very quiet street. As this was a Club room, we also had cold buffet breakfast and access to the club level for drinks and canapés every night. The canapés were so good that we even missed dinner on two occasions because we couldn’t stop ourselves from eating!

For all the fantastic amenities in the hotel it is also in a great location, only minutes to walk to the main attractions and restaurants in the CBD. Walking to Flinders Station takes about 10 minutes, to the MCG/Rod Laver it would probably be a leisurely 20 minute walk.

We had great service from the front desk including setting up a private wine tour and sorting out an issue with our bill. Everything was taken care of quickly and professionally. The only downside was that the pool and spa were being renovated during our stay. The steam rooms were open, but they are gender specific (located in the changing rooms).

This is a great hotel and worth the extra charge for the club room. We would consider staying here again, especially for a longer stay in the city.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a response on Trip Advisor.

Your feedback very constructive and certainly appreciated and thank you too for singing the praises of our Club facility! It's pleasing to hear you found that it represnted value for money. I also wanted to advise you that of our swimming pool is now open and all is back to normal. Alas there is never a good time to close such a facility but it really did need some rather urgent works being carried out and now all done and it's looking super again.

I write this trusting you are well and please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.

_____________________________________________
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 29, 2012

This trip was a return to the Park Hyatt after many years absence, preferring Crown Towers in the intervening period. On this particularly weekend, Crown was just too expensive so they lost me.
It’s in a lovely, peaceful location a short walk from the so-called Paris-end of Collins Street. It was a stinking hot day but we strolled into Collins St to shop and go to a movie, with a theatre only a 10 min walk away.
There was a kerfuffle when we checked in. We had booked through a Virtuoso travel agent, the benefits of which are a free afternoon tea (saved us $100), continental breakfast, an upgrade if available and late check-out. Unfortunately this was not recorded in the booking. Not sure if it was agent’s fault or hotel’s, but it was not a battle we needed to have at the start of a holiday. It was eventually sorted after I got our agent to call hotel reception – no easy feat on a Saturday. But I kinda resented having to fight for it….surely they could see it was agent booking and easy enough to check online they were part of Virtuoso network.
The rooms are large and comfortable and well equipped so no complaints on that front. Power points are not easy to find for phone and laptop chargers though, probably my only complaint. The bathroom amenities were an in-house brand too, would have preferred to see some quality brand worthy of Park Hyatt….but a minor quibble.
The “free” afternoon tea in the Lobby Lounge was stellar. They went to great effort to provide me with a delicious vegetarian selection of sandwiches instead of the norm. Service was attentive but I did have to ask for some newspapers twice. At the radii bar we had some great evening cocktails, with a terrific waiter who was well-informed and funny. Even made suggestion of trying cucumber in Hendricks martini in lieu of twist – brilliant! Breakfast buffet there next morning was a great spread. You could upgrade to full hot breakfast for only $8 or $9 so great value as part of package.
Sadly, the pool was undergoing scheduled maintenance so a swim was not possible; neither is there anywhere nice to lounge in the sun – a real pity on a warm summer’s day.
I filled out a feedback request via email on returning home and was delighted to get a personal response from the hotel manager, Sholto Smith. Nice to see management responding to these things.
Overall it was a very pleasant stay and Park Hyatt proved to be a worthy contender to my fave Melbourne hotel, Crown Towers. It represented great value on the Virtuoso deal and we’d happily go back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Seanno
Thank you for taking the time to write a response on Trip Advisor.

Your feedback very constructive and indeed your mentioning too that I have already contacted you! I aim to write to everyone guest who shares feedback with the hotel as it is of course great assistance to us while we try to perfect what we do. I did not recall the note about the bathroom amenities but can advise, and with pleasure, that the brand will be changing around the middle of this year to one that comes from America and is specially created fro Park Hyatt Hotels. The other matter I wanted to advise you on is that of our swimming pool. The latter now open and all back to normal. Alas there is never a good time to close such a facility but it really did need some rather urgent works being carried out and now all done and it's looking super again.

Melbourne
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I stayed two nights here as part of a conference. It is an impressive hotel with large areas of open space and classy furnishings. My only issue was I arrived at the check in time of 2.00 P.M. only to be told my room was not ready and I would have to wait. The wait extended to an hour. I would expect a five star hotel to have these things ironed out. The saving grace was they offed me a wine to pass the time.
Rooms are seriously large with all amenities. It is the first hotel I have stayed that had a separate television in the bath room so you can lye in the spa bath and watch T V. It is also in a great location, close to the city but in a quite zone.
Everything else was up to the standard you would expect of a hotel of class.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business