“Great location, wonderful staff & good accommodation...”
Review of Mantra On Russell

Mantra On Russell
Ranked #34 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Sunshine Coast, Australia
“Great location, wonderful staff & good accommodation...”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Mantra on Russell was all we had hoped for. After a warm welcome from the Reception team, we quickly settled into our "apartment" 1015... As we had previously requested 4 Single Beds (we were a group of 4 girls in town to celebrate a special birthday), we were delighted to see our request had been possible. 2 Bedrooms, 1 Full Bathroom, 1 Cloakroom, Kitchenette & comfortable Lounge/Dining room was spacious and comfortable for our 4 days stay. An added bonus was the Balcony over looking Russell Street and the view beyond. The Mantra is located on Russell Street, handy to the Mall and a quick stroll up the hill to catch the City Circle Tram. We walked to Lygon Street and Queen Victoria Markets easily.
Congratulations to the hard working team, especially the Housekeeping crew. Although the bathroom cupboards are starting to "swell and show their age", the suite was lovely and clean. Well done. Also a big thanks for the extra doona's for the "Queenslanders" and towels. Much appreciated.
One hiccup for me was the "nightclub/rave" that warmed up each night around 11.00pm with the noise thump, thump, thump' till the wee hours. Others in the group didn't get woken, so perhaps I'm a light sleeper. Earplugs would be my recommendation.
Our package included Full Breakfast which was beautifully presented in the Buffet style. The lovely ladies were ever helpful and always greeted us with a warm smile.
For great value, well located, clean & spacious accommodation with a warm welcome, please do yourself a favour and book this property!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Mike B, Manager at Mantra On Russell, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thanks Codidy - really appreciate the feedback - great to share with our Housekeeping team. Certainly looks like you managed to pack in a lot of fun over the four days!

It would be our pleasure to be of service to you again in the future.

Hotel Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2013

ok so we got a special deal, but both the monetary value and also importantly the staff, were great! Arrived off the Sydney overnight train at 8:15 and in my room before 9! Staff could not have been more helpful. Room finishes just a little tired (we had an upgrade to a 1BR suite) but it did not affect anything really and it was beautifully clean. LOADS of space, a really comfy bed, kitchen as well, and lounge area. Gym was well used. Looked out over Lt Bourke St and Chinese cuisine, 200m to Greek in Lonsdale, and a 10min walk to Lygon St. Public transport almost at the door, NSE or W. I was there to work, and plenty of desk/table space and then joined by my better half - had a great time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hi mousey84

Thanks for the great review - we appreciate you writing and delighted to hear you had a great time. The team were also delighted to receive your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

I really liked the location of this hotel, very close to transport and great restaurants. It's very clean and tidy, fantastic reception staff and the one bedroom apartment we stayed in, was very spacious and comfortable.
I was not impressed with the buffet breakfast AT ALL! For $26 per person, it was terrible. I had the last scraping of Bircher muesli, an hour later STILL had not been replenished. Guests were queuing up for atleast 5-10mins waiting for plates and bread. The fruit, yogurt, juices and pastries were not topped up once in the hour we were there and the coffee tasted like cigarette ash. Oh and there were 2 staff members literally running to try and keep up with the demands of the guests. This is not a good look- management need to hire more staff at peak times!
Overall, I would stay here again and recommend to others, however skip Id advise skipping the breakfast to avoid the chaos.

• Stayed June 2013
Hi Krisstylee

Thanks for taking the time to post - I've shared your breakfast experience with the team and fully agree it was not up to our usual standard - on that particular day we had double the normal uptake and clearly were caught completely unprepared - and for that I apologise. On a positive note it was great to see all other aspects of your stay were to your liking.

If you are staying again in the future please feel free to contact me directly so I can put right your original breakfast dining experience.

Princeville, Hawaii
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed in a one bdrm apt....was okay. Was very centrally located. I could walk everywhere. The staff was very accommodating, breakfast was okay. Was a bit out dated and could use an update. The front desk was very helpful on where to eat, withing walking distance. They provided me with maps to walk to go shopping as my husband was golfing all day. I did find the Casino down the street. The walk along the waterway down was nice too. A LOT of shopping to be done. Make sure to have good walking shoes as I had flip flops. But was nice just strolling along.

Room Tip: This hotel is located right on a very busy street....do not get a room facing the road that it is on...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike B, Manager at Mantra On Russell, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hello pineapple2u - Thanks for posting your feedback it's always appreciated and as you noted we do enjoy a fantastic location in the city centre.

Great to see you had fun with the shopping and although noting your location as Hawaii if we can be of service again in the future it would be our pleasure.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I would Just like to thank Aaron and the staff for a great short stay for myself and my wife.It is thanks to staff like Aaron and Rachel that people like myself and my wife will return to the Mantra on Russell next time we are in Melbourne.I made a mistake when I booked on line and Aaron was quick to rectify my mistake and took the worry away from me .I had booked a Studio Room instead of a one bedroom apartment and Aaron up graded me with no fuss what so ever .The one bedroom apartment was very clean and spacious and very comfortable. Aaron and Rachel always gave 100% when it came to Customer Service .I work in the Customer Service Industry and would struggle to find any better then what we received from Aaron and Rachel.I don't know if Aaron and Rachel understand that because they are so good at their Job they make so many people happy by Just being themselves.The main point is that they really did care about two strangers that they had never meet before and nothing was too much trouble.I really hope the organisation understand Just how much staff, Like Aaron and Rachel do for them and Just how hard it is to get staff like them .We will be visiting the Mantra on Russell more often and because every thing is so Close we can walk to most places. Aaron gave us a map and was spot on with his information he gave us.Not to forget about the other staff who also were very friendly as well .Thank you Aaron and Rachel for just being yourself .If you are ever in Brisbane I hope you get the same professional Customer Service that you gave to myself and my wife.Keep Smiling

Room Tip: Stay in the one bedroom apartment .
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ron C
Hi Ron C

Thanks for the extensive review and really appreciated your candid comments around the excellent service you received from two of our staff members - it was my pleasure to share your feedback with them and indeed the team as a whole.

We look forward to being of service to you again in the future.

Devonport, Australia
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Very central property. 1 bedroom apartments are rather spacious. Staff are very friendly & nothing is too much trouble. Buffet breakfasts are of good value. Check out the evening Dinner specials too. They are reasonably priced as well. China Town is right there on the door step. Whilst so close, try a Thai Massage @ Sence 5 riight next door in Russell St.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike B, Manager at Mantra On Russell, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thanks jules11099 you've provided some great location tips and captured our service offering brilliantly! We appreciate you posting and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed at this hotel last weekend with my parents and we had a great stay. We had a 2 bedroom appartment which was very clean and spacious.We had a balcony with a lovely city view.
The only downside was that there was only 1 bathroom, whci can ne challanging with 4 adults to share. However there was a scond toliet.

Breakfast and parking was included in the package.
The Buffet Breakfast was very good but the eggs were a little cold.

Room Tip: The appaprtments are well worth the extra cost
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Mike B, Manager at Mantra On Russell, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Hi Carms2

Thanks for taking the time to write and delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our 2 bedroom apartments at 88 sqm do provide a great option for families and friends looking for an inner city getaway. I've passed your egg temperature note onto our team - but pleased to see you enjoyed the buffet as a whole.

We look forward to being of service to you again in the future.