“Most impressed” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 156 Hotels in Melbourne
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Most impressed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

The staff were incredibly helpful, the hotel was spacious and relaxing and the room was big, bright with lots of ventilation, balcony and views. Truly loved it for our 3 night stay visiting family. Nothing was a problem and if there was it was quickly rectified with no fuss, one of the lifts broke down but hardly their fault. Thank you

Room Tip: The gym was clean and unoccupied which I always prefer and all the equipment worked. Do recommend a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mike B, Manager at Mantra On Russell, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Hi NicoleBell3

Great to have you over to stay from Queenstown and delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us. I'll pass on your fantastic feedback to the team which they always appreciate.

We look forward to having you stay again with us in the future

Hotel Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

room very dirty, food crumbs on carpet in bedroom, food spills on kitchen cupboards, leftover food on stovetop, fridge dirty inside and out, rubbish under bed from previous guest, cigarette ash on window sills despite being a non smoking room, smelt damp and stale.
male manager rude and quite offensive at check in, would not stay here again, nor would i recommend it to others. for something in the same price range and stars try the Stamford Plaza hotel, much cleaner, newer and staff far friendlier

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Carly G
Mike B, Manager at Mantra On Russell, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Hi Carly G

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I am extremely disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us and that we failed significantly in the areas of Housekeeping and Management response.

We are reviewing with the team your comments and I can assure you this is not consistent with Mantra standards.

Please feel free to contact me directly at anytime on mike.blank@mantra.com.au if you would like to discuss these matters further and I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed here recently on a Tuesday and Wednesday night whilst travelling for work. I was given a 12th floor, single room facing south towards Little Bourke St. First of all the good points: Great location (except for being near a nightclub); a little dated but clean, spacious single room; friendly staff; nice hot breakfasts; good sized TV. The bad points: The pillows on the bed were hard sausage shaped lumps. You could have used them as wheel chocks to stop your car from rolling backwards if you had to. It was very hard to get comfortable with them. On Tuesday night there was just the normal low level background city noise that you would hear anywhere. But on Wednesday night it was completely different. At a about 11pm, noise from a nightclub somewhere below in Little Burke St, woke me up. From 11pm to precisely 4:30am (I was awake watching the bedside clock) there was a constant doof, doof, doof, doof coming from the nightclub. Accompanying these body penetrating bass beats were the assorted manic screams, screeches, yells and yahoos from drunken or otherwise crazed people on the street. At one point I was considering raiding the mini bar and downing all the alcohol to knock myself out. I don't think I have ever had a worst night’s sleep in a hotel. Bleary eyed, I met my work colleague for breakfast on Thursday morning. His room was north facing towards Lonsdale St and he heard no noise at all and slept well.
I would have rated this hotel 4/5 if not for the noisy room, because apart from the hard pillows there was nothing to complain about.

Would I stay here again? Yes most definitely as long as I had a north facing room away from that darned nightclub, or I was going to visit that nightclub.

Room Tip: Ask for a north facing room looking towards Lonsdale St. Do not get a south facing room looking tow...
Hello Steven J

Thanks for taking the time to write we appreciate your feedback. With regards to noise - being in the inner city we do experience higher ambient levels however as mentioned in your comments there are one or two night clubs nearby who from time to time are disproportionately louder than you would expect. We are currently working with both operators and the City Council Environmental Agency to have their sound outputs restricted. If you have any issues in the future our night team are always happy to assist.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed at Mantra on Russell for business for a total of 20 nights this month & I was able to see 5 separate rooms from standard studio, studio with a balcony up to one bedroom & my overall review would be a positive one. The rooms were clean & comfortable however the 1 bedroom, although it is very generous in size could do with a refurbishment soon as the furniture (mainly in the lounge) are a little dated. The only real issues I have with the hotel is the noise the comes from the street (especially on the weekend) and the gym definitely needs some new equipment. Aside from that, the staff were some of the nicest that you will come across in Australia. They were always willing to help & accommodate my needs.

1 Thank RHI_STU
Hi RHU_STU we appreciate you taking the time to write. We are also delighted to advise we have entered the initial planning stage for a full hotel renovation with a potential start date of mid next year - so we'll keep you posted.

Thanks for your continued support - your business is appreciated.

Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We spent 5 nights two couples in a two bedroom apartment from the 10th October. Overall we were very satisfied with the accommodation ( althought I must say four years ago for our 40th wedding anniversary we were given a dual key two bedroom apartment and it was excellent heaven!!!) the only one thing that was not so good was the shower over the bath we were all in our late 60's and felt it was very dangerous. Other than that everything was great they always have every little thing laundry powder etc etc too many to name. The last five times we have stayed in australia we have used the Mantras very very good and always satisfied. So close to every little thing went to a show at the Princess and just a 6 minute walk excellent. We were on the 12th floor a little noisey friday night but absolutely quite saturday night no telling.

Room Tip: I would definately go for the dual key two bedroom apartment over the normal two bedroom apartment h...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks Smoogee for the great review! We look forward to being of service to you again in the future.

Thames, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed here for 3 days last week - spacious one bedroom suite, with full-size lounge and dining area,well-equipped kitchen, work desk, laundry, and great balcony - staff were very friendly and helpful, food in restaurant was very good, all in all a very good deal - would book here again.

Room Tip: I was on the 18th floor and my room was very quiet.
Hi nzauregionaldirector

Fantastic review - we really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and look forward to having you stay again in the future.

Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

I moved to the Mantra to have a girls trip after having four nights in Melbourne with my husband at Oaks on Lonsdale. I felt like I had gone back 10 years in time as the room felt quite dated. One of the girls in our group is a travel agent and she had requested a room high up with a view - we were on the 3rd floor and could see virtually nothing out our window! After coming from the 18th floor of the previous hotel and having a lovely view over towards parliament and the MCG I was quite disappointed. We had a booking for 5 but it felt like only 4 were catered for and whilst the sofa bed was made up with sheets, there were no blankets to be found anywhere in the apartment. As we were lower down and it was a Saturday night, I found it hard to sleep as you could hear lots of late night people noise from the street. Location was good but for the money there are better places to stay im my opinion.

Room Tip: We tried to get a good room but it fell on deaf ears! Definitely try for higher up away from the str...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MataiWest
Mike B, Manager at Mantra On Russell, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Hello MataiWest

Thanks for taking the time to write, feedback is always appreciated. I apologise we were unable to fulfil your groups request for a higher floor on this occasion. We do have 2 - two bedroom suites on each level however due to high demands over weekend periods they can be booked out months in advance.
With regards to additional bedding all rooms are equipped with extra pillows and blankets in the bedroom wardrobes. Again I apologies if these items were not present during your stay and have asked our Executive Housekeeper to follow up.