“Stylish hotel with amazing breakfast buffet in the stunning atrium” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Premium Club Room Offer
Ranked #28 of 156 Hotels in Melbourne
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Stylish hotel with amazing breakfast buffet in the stunning atrium”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Stayed in an executive room on the 9th floor. From the electronically controlled curtains to the rooftop pool, I liked everything about this hotel, especially the design. It blends lots of modern materials into an old building and has a wonderful feel to it. My room had a well placed desk - probably the best exec room I have stayed in - easy access to broadband ($29.95 a day unlimited, which is ok) and phones. Bose CD/radio player. Lots of room. Great luxury bathroom with huge walk-in shower with two shower heads. Having breakfast in the multi-storey atrium was a delight - huge selection of cooked standards plus European style cold-cuts (prosciutto, salami, smoked salmon, brie). Service was very pleasant. If you are visiting Melbourne this is a treat as it's not cheap ($325 a night inc. breakfast) but if you just want to sample the luxury go for breakfast and indulge yourself.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank flyboy2000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
A different plane every week
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I was very unhappy with my 4 hour stay at this hotel. I basically checked in, got treated very poorly, checked out, and they even made me pay for the night. I wrote the following letter to their guest relations and they never responded. So much for customer service or caring what your guests think. In addition, its in the middle of a business district. Don't stay there on a weekend as everything is closed around you.

I arrived at the hotel, everything seemed great. Marie at the front desk checked us in, was very pleasant, recognized me as a Platinum Ambassador Member and said that we had been upgraded to a Club King room. I thanked her and the service was great up to this point.

We then dropped our stuff in our room and went for a stroll for about an hour, came back to the hotel and tried to go into the Club Lounge and our key didn't work. The person was very nice, and said that it looked like our keys were not programmed with access to the lounge- she suggested we talk to the front desk.

We went back and asked for Marie, but she was unavailable. Another person (blond female) said she would help us and said that yes, we had been upgraded to the Club room, but we can't get access to the lounge. I asked how it makes any sense that we would have a Club room with no access- what is the point- She talked to us down as if we were not worthy of the guests that would normally go into the club- She was very snooty and even said "You know that costs $150!- how can you expect to get upgraded to it".

It was said in a manner like I could not afford it. She said we should be happy to just get a nicer room and not worry about the club access. I am also a platinum Marriott and Hyatt member, as well as a Hilton Diamond member- I routinely get access to their lounges, no questions asked- ESPECIALLY when they upgrade me to an executive or Club level room.

But we had just gotten to Melbourne- I really didn't like the way we were being treated, I spoke to my wife and decided to leave. I called the front desk, and spoke to the MOD- Lance. I explained that I had just gotten there a couple of hours ago, we really hadn't used the room- for gods sake, I had to even call twice to get my Ambassador fruit and water (when normally it is in the room waiting).

Lance said because there is a 24 hour cancellation policy, that we would still be charged for the room whether we stay for the night or leave. Not once did he care to address my concern- he was more concerned about making sure the hotel gets its $295 for the night. I didn't care.

I called the airline, changed my flight to one that left around 11pm, since I was paying for the room anyway, took a shower, watched my Ambassador movie and left. Even when I was leaving, I called and asked for luggage assistance. I then went to go check out 15 minutes later, and told my wife to wait in the room with the luggage. I then found the bellman- and he had no idea that someone was waiting for help.

Very disorganized hotel, snooty staff (the blond at the front desk- Marie was great however), Poor lack of guest response on the part of Management and a ridiculous upgrade to "club level" without access to the club lounge.

For the record, we went to Hong Kong, the Peninsula Hotel sent a Rolls Royce to pick us up- they let us check in early at 6am with a free upgraded room, had fruit and water waiting in the room and even gave us a complimentary 6pm check out the next day- no questions asked. It really made us glad we left Melbourne early. You would think that Platinum Ambassador members get a little better treatment than this.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
11 Thank BenMalek
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

New meets old, nice restaurant on the ground floor and good service. Upgraded to the club level and had a lovely suite at the front.

Staff were good and attentive, hotel is relatively newly refurbished and they had to keep the existing layout so some of the rooms have smaller bathrooms.

Good location for getting about town.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

Barely 3 and certainly not a 5 star hotel given unable to confirm early check in with 30% occupany the night before until actualy getting there, all room's balcoly permanently locked now, main bar closed during the weekend, 1.5% credit card service fee, stale crackers, cold food, ignored by staff and a TV at right angles to bed suggest very overpriced and don't have their act together.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank petertravel22
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

We stayed at this hotel as part of a wider visit to Australia. The hotel is architecturally stunning, and beautifully decorated throughout. The public areas are impressive and the roof-top indoor swimming pool is great.

Upon check-in, we were not upgraded to a higher room category (despite this being a guaranteed benefit of IC Gold Ambassador status). The duty manager was extremely rude to us, asking us what we would like him to do about it, making us feel as though it was our fault! I suggested politely that a credit towards in-hotel food would suffice, and a AUD$100 was credited - not really the value of an upgrade, but I'd had enough of the duty manager's rudeness.

Aside from this gripe, the standard room we were allocated was superb and room service of good quality.

The Club lounge was nothing special in terms of decoration or appointment, but the food selection was very good and the service absolutely stunning - to the point where I emailed IC and complimented particular members of the Club team. They remembered our preferences over the 6 days we were there, personally handled any requests and were extremely polite, friendly and professional at all times.

I would highly recommend this hotel, as I'm sure the duty manager experience was one that won't be repeated.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Genius12
victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

Stayed Friday and Saturday night with another couple and we were just blown away with how wonderful this hotel is. The rooms are lovely, some say they are dark but there is plenty of lights and the bathroom lighting is great. Comfortable beds and the sheeting and duvet are just heavenly, I have never been to hotel that is as quiet as the Rialto, we had a room facing the atrium with a door that opened onto a smalll balcony that has glass partition between each room we never had any problem with noise, our friends were in the room next door and we didn't hear a thing no shower, tv or talking which is great we have never been to hotel with such great insulation between rooms.

Restaurant was great, our food was perfect, Jason was amazing treated us like we were royalty he really is a great asset also special mention to Greg our breakfast waiter who remembered our coffee order on day 2 and Heleandro (bad spelling I know) in the bar with Jason was also wonderful.
We had the best weekend and we put it all down to a great stay at he Rialto.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SONYIA D
Uster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

We stayed here 4 nights. Room was clean, spacious and quiet (due to missing outside windows; most rooms go to an atrium). Friendly staff. Expensive, but worth the money - compared to other hotels of this class.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple