“Homely setup”

Ranked #43 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Singapore, Singapore
“Homely setup”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights.. friendly concierge...homely setup with ample space for 2. Can increase the number of charging ports not so convenient. Proximity to all the happening places. Great stay!!

View completely includes the interior of the hotel.. Based in the middle of the city, Good for business trips as well..

Room Tip: Higher floors have access to balcony ...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear vidu_weejay,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share the delightful feedback from your recent stay with us in Melbourne.

It is wonderful to hear that you found the hotel to be centrally located in the heart of the CBD and that you found our concierge team to be friendly. I hope that they were able to provide you with some great insider tips for your stay.

I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Melbourne.

Sebastian Germerhausen
Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

First impressions
I've just checked in and discovered that the hallway light is connected to the bedside lights so you cannot have them on or off separately... Really?
Concierge non existent (couple of young kids too shy to come up to me... Are they out of high school?)
Checkin desk very competent
Room nice simple clean lines, good charging points, lights...as per above ...bizarre
Bed ... Seems comfortable enough
Bathroom .... Simple and tidy, no bath. Tap on basin weird (go on see if you can turn it on...)
Room service... "Sorry sir, I can't get the light switches working either" he says while peering into the the cupboard in vain hope the light switch might be there? Well maybe it is? But we never found it!
Sleep quality...good
Breakfast $25 pre-booked buffet good. 20 minutes to get a cappuccino anomalously long time
Internet, fast and reliable
Housekeeping, very helpful when I locked myself out of my room!
Lifts work fine, little slow.
Watch out for uneven floor surface on Rialto side lift, ground floor level. The floor falls away towards the lift and is a tripping hazard, consequence of this being an old building I guess
Checkout - excellent fast service
Concierge on checkout very helpful in storing bag and advising of room to change in when returning from meeting after checkout

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear notcomingback,

Thank you for sharing such a detailed review of your recent stay with us at the hotel.
Whilst I am delighted to hear that you found the concierge upon checkout and the housekeeping team to be most helpful I was disappointed with the other challenges which you faced during your stay.

I hope that at some stage in the near future we might have the opportunity to welcome you back for a more memorable experience.

Launceston, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in June with friends. On the same trip to Melbourne in 2013 we stayed at the hotel across the road and vowed and declared we would never stay there again and would book The Intercontinental on our return trip in 2014. We go to a Wallabies Test Match every year. This year the Wallabies played France in a Test series with the 2nd test played in Melbourne. The Intercontinental is located close to the stadium and only a few blocks from the centre of the city and Southbank. We walked everywhere. Our room was very comfortable. Loved the speakers in the bathroom -my husband could listen to the World Cup Soccer games on the tv when he was in the shower! Service was excellent. Staff were polite. We didn't eat in the hotel as we love eating out in Melbourne even for breakfast. Did have drinks in both bar areas though. Will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Louise C,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share the feedback from your recent stay with us during the recent Rugby Test match.

It is great to hear that you found the hotel centrally located to all your requirements in Melbourne and also that your husband loved the speakers in the bathroom!

I hope on your next visit to Melbourne for the Rugby I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 8, 2014

For my birthday we stayed at the Rialto in a suite in the old wool stores part of the building. There was so much character. Our room looked out onto what seems to have been a lane that has been covered in. It felt a bit like being inside a Dickens novel.The service was exceptional, the suite of rooms was massive, with the bedroom, bathroom (complete with TV) and study/lounge area. It was impeccably furnished, exceptionally clean and had a great big comfy bed. I loved the location; there were restaurants not far. We walked to the department stores, then across to South Bank and though a bit of a walk, it was doable. The buffet breakfast was divine and the staff had the right mix of being professional yet friendly. Valet parking was brilliant as it meant you didn't need to worry about the car, despite being in the middle of the city. Even managed to slip down to the nearby Aquarium before checking out. Staying at the Rialto was the highlight of my birthday. Pity you only get one a year!

Room Tip: Rooms in the old part of the building have character and charm.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Suzy2000,

Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback from your recent stay with us in Melbourne.

I am so delighted to hear that you found your suite to be filled with character and impeccably furnished. There was a lot of thought put into the soft furnishings of the suites so it is wonderful to receive the feedback that it is appreciated.

I hope that for your Birthday next year I might have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 8, 2014

A quick getaway to Melbourne and chose the hotel for two reasons, proximity to restaurants we were dining at and status with Intercon.

Check-in was fine and enquired as to entitlements with my platinum status (I know hotels love being asked this!!). Was offered late check-out and free wi-fi.I pointed out that I thought we also had an availability upgrade. Duty Mananger had to check (they should know this stuff) and came back and said yes they could upgrade us. Hooray!!

Got to the room and although it was a good size it certainly did not seem to be an upgrade from a Junior Suite. Decoration was tastefully modern but a lot of wasted space which could include more than the one armchair. We did note that there was a sticker on the door which indicated it a Club Room - maybe we did get an upgrade! alas on checking, we had a Club King Room with no club access - seems a bit mean to toy with the room type!!

Bathroom was a good size with seperate bath and shower. Standard Intercon toiletries and decent towels.

On entering the room we noted it was quite warm but thought the air-con would kick in. We headed out to dinner but when we returned the room was still warm even though the temperature was set at 20 degrees. We contacted reception who sent someone up who agreed that it was not working. After a few minutes we were relocted to another room (same category) where the air-con certainly worked - oh the difference.

Managed to get a great sleep on a very comfortable bed in a cool room.

Missed breakfast on purpose as we had a big lunch ahead so no report on that. Check out was quick and the customer service officer was very sympathetic to our issues and said she would note the issues in our booking.

Essentially we were disappointed. I understand that technically we were upgraded but there was very little difference in the room from what we understood. Couple then with the air-con issues made for an average experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear wockinwod,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share the observations of your stay.

I was disappointed to note the difficulties that you experienced during your stay with us and that as a result your stay was only average.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your observations with you further as we work toward creating memorable experiences for all our guests. I have messaged you my contact details so that we may facilitate this.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Melbourne
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Great service all around..
The rooms are very nice but a bit small, but then how long do you intend on staying in your room when you have so much to explore?
The buffet breakfast is good..lots of variety.
Unfortunately I didnt get time to try out the gym or the pool, but I will save that for my next visit. I highly recommend that you try out the East day spa..wow!! Excellent treatments..
The hotel is only a short walk from Southern Cross station.
Now if you want old world charm with great service as opposed to a modern hotel that lacks character and warmth.. .then this place is for you..
Cant wait to come back!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Koolitsa
Dear Koolista,

Thank you for taking the time to share the kind feedback from your recent stay with us at InterContinental Melbourne.

I am delighted to hear that you had such a great stay with us and that you feel that the hotel has great service with that old world charm, that is truly a compliment. I will be sure to share your feedback with our East Day Spa team; I know that will be thrilled to be mentioned in your review.

Sebastian Germerhausen
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights and enjoyed the excellent service from the intercontinental. The rooms are we're well fitted out. Happy hour in the bar downstairs was a good choice and well priced. Would have liked to have taken up the option of the club room but not sure what breakfast options came with this.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear J_and_A_33,

Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback from your recent stay with us at InterContinental Melbourne.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of happy hour in the BlueStone Wine Lounge.

I would be delighted to have you come and stay with us again and please give our in house reservations team a call so that they can discuss the breakfast options with you when staying in one of our Club Rooms.

I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.