“Excellent property”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #44 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The Hotel is a few blocks away from the center of town but well worth the walk as the rooms are very well appointed and very comfortable, stayed in a junior suit, excellent bed and bathroom. Staff were brilliant, reasonably priced for level of comfort

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Dear RafyM,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to share your kind review.

I was also happy to hear that my colleagues were brilliant and you found the hotel well positioned within the city of Melbourne.

I hope on your next visit to Melbourne we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

Reviewed December 28, 2013

This was one of the very best Hotel stays I have had. It is certainly one of the very best 5 star hotels innAustralia. From the first moment I stepped out of the car and was greeted by Arthur who gave me a very warm welcome, I felt I had arrived. Oliver welcomed me to the hotel and introduced me to the Front office Manager who was kind enough to show me to my Suite, a wonderful apartment and through my whole stay the service was incredible.

The hotel lobby smelt lovely the new art works looked amazing and added some glitz and brightness, these weren't there when I stayed last year, so the inside of the hotel has a different look, simply a better one.

I stayed in the Brighton suite. This room is very spacious with a huge spa tub and a separate 10 head shower, sublime relaxation.
Theres a nespresso machine for your complementary coffee, along with access to a very well run Club Lounge, with some good, friendly and very attentive staff.
The king size bed was very comfortable, it's a cloud of softness and the finest bedding but still just the right firmness. Lovely room and having stayed in a few, along with some others in this hotel they are superb. As an IHG Ambassador I'm very proud to be able to highly recommend this hotel. It is certainly one of the very best with some very fine management.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Dear VangeInternational,

As a valued Ambassador member thank you for taking the opportunity to share your kind feedback with me.

I am so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our Brighton suite, we have recently made some soft upgrades to our suites which reflect some areas in and around Melbourne.

It is nice to hear also that you found my colleagues helpful and friendly in particular Olivier and Arthur, I will be sure to share you feedback with them.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto soon.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as we received a free night due to their best rate guarantee deal. I didn't expect anything too exciting but I was definitely wrong!

The hotel doesn't look much from the street but upon walking inside it is beautiful and unique. We were treated extremely well from the moment we entered (which I didn't expect staying for free!).

Our room was absolutely stunning and I'm very picky! The windows looked out to the inside of the middle of the hotel which is gorgeous and unique. It sort of reminded me of a train station/jail... but a very beautiful jail haha! The pictures really do not do this place justice.

Don't hesitate booking this beautiful hotel if you want a relaxing stay. The only other hotel I would recommend that is on par is the Crown Towers but it is obviously a very different kind of hotel. Enjoy! :)

Room Tip: We stayed in a deluxe room which was just beautiful. Our room overlooked the centre of the hotel whi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Callyn83,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.

I am delighted to hear that you were treated like royalty during your stay, we strive to do this with all our guests.

Often people do comment on how they hotel could look a little like an old jail however it actually has an amazingly rich history and you are right, the photos don’t do it justice!

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel this year, have to say not the most warming hotels I have ever stayed in,
The rooms are dark and face into the void above the restaurant. It was quite depressing.
Would I stay here again no, it's not for me.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear Youngman46,

Thank you for taking the time to share the review of your recent stay.

Whilst I am happy to hear that you found the service and sleep quality during your stay exceptional I was disappointed that the hotels architecture did not meet your expectations. There is such a rich history behind the two buildings in which we are housed and although none of the buildings have been used to house prisoners we do occasionally receive that comment.

I hope that one day we might have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and show you some of the intriguing history behind the hotels buildings.

Kind regards

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Arrived around 8am and wasnt expecting the room to be ready however the check in staff were very helpful and not only got us a room but even offered us free breakfast 'as it was Christmas". The hotel is beautiful and has an amazing atrium which all the rooms look onto. The rooms are all very modern and of a good size with all facilities you would expect.

Again the only downside I have is the lack of free wifi, come on guys this is standard throughout 5 star hotel in the World now!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear u600358,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us at the hotel. I was delighted to hear that you found my colleagues during the check-in process very helpful and we were also able to accommodate an early check-in for you.

From January 1 all our properties will now offer free wi-fi to our IHG Rewards Club Members, the best part about this is it’s free to join.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We've stayed here both times we've visited Melbourne, and will do so the next time also. That probably says it all really. Architecturally, the hotel is a unique and fascinating building, both in side and out, with a bar area that fits that motif perfectly. You feel that, on entering the building, you are walking into a piece of opulent history, and that feeling never leaves you while you are there, although that is NOT to say there is anything old or jaded about it. Everything is classical and immaculate. A perfect balance. The staff are courteous, friendly and helpful. The rooms are comfortable and quiet, as, indeed you would expect from this brand and class of hotel. In terms of location, it is ideal for exploring Melbourne. The river and the railway station are only a couple of minutes walk away, and there are dozens of great restaurants and bars within a short stumble. I am looking forward to being back there as soon as possible.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear LordKM,

Thank you so much for the detailed feedback of your recent stay with us. It is always great to hear from our return guests.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the architecture of the hotel, whilst it is not for everyone I feel very lucky to be working in such an historic building right in the heart of Melbourne.

I can’t wait to welcome you back to the hotel during your next visit to Melbourne!

Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we entered this hotel, we were looked after well. Staff were friendly, knowledgable and had an air of professionalism and willingness to help which has been noticeably absent in other hotels we have stayed at which cost the same and have the same number of stars. We were upgraded to a tower suite, which is very large and well set out -
The bathroom has a lovely spa and the bedroom is round. The toiletries are beautiful and the drinks area is well stocked. The gym is very functional - several treadmills, a stepper, a bike and weights machines. Clean towels and water are supplied and there is a lovely indoor pool adjacent. Only tried Bluestone bar of all the food places - good, not amazing. Taxi rank out the front was very convenient. Overall a lovely hotel and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: December 2013
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear HungryandHappy,

I appreciate you taking the time to share the feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am so delighted to note that you found my colleagues professional, friendly and knowledgeable. We take pride in the service we deliver to our guests and it is humbling to hear that we are on the right track.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Melbourne and InterContinental again soon.

Kind regards