“Exceptional”

Ranked #37 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Greymouth, New Zealand
“Exceptional”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This hotel made my husband and I feel like a king and queen. From the very funny and informative doorman Cliff, to the staff in the club lounge. Nothing was to much trouble for any of them. The building is heritage and rustic but the furnishings are modern and beautiful. We stayed in a junior suite which was huge. Great bathroom. TV in the mirror of the bathroom so you can lay in the spa bath and watch a movie. My husband commented that if he owned a hotel he would pilfer Cliff the doorman and make sure he payed him well so he wouldn't lose him.

Room Tip: If you can afford it get a junior club suite.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OpalRodger
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear OpalRodger,

Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay with us.

Cliff is certainly one in a million and we are very lucky to have him as part of our team. I will ensure that your kind feedback is passed onto him. I know he will be thrilled.

I hope that on your next trip to Melbourne we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Kind regards
Sebastian Germershuasen
Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The stay was very good especially thanks to the very nice service and attentiveness of Kishor. He is very focussed and knows what the guests want and like and has his eyes everywhere. He really makes the difference. The food and drinks in the Club lounge has improved a lot and we enjoyed the Club lounge very much.

Room Tip: 514 with two queen beds
2 Thank Andreas K
Dear Andreas K,

Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback of your recent stay with us at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.

We are certainty lucky to have a colleague like Kishor as part of the team and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to him.

I hope on your next visit to Melbourne we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Kind regards
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 17, 2013

While the hotel is lovely, there were a couple of things that let it down from being a total 5 star experience. My husband and I recently stayed at the Rialto for 3 nights in a deluxe room on the 5th floor. On our arrival on Thursday afternoon, I noticed a dirty wine glass on the floor outside our room and sadly when we checked out on Sunday morning it was still there! How many staff - cleaners, engineers, valet etc. had all walked past it and no one thought it was their job to remove it? Our room was also not fully restocked each day, appears tea bags and toiletries were rationed. The reception staff were efficient and the concierge exceptional! Our bathroom flooded on our second night and this was attended to very quickly. Our king sized bed appeared to be just 2 singles, pushed together, not terribly comfortable, but the choice of pillows was very welcomed. We enjoyed our breakfast and the location of the hotel, but, perhaps for the money would look to other options next time in Melbourne.

Room Tip: Perhaps request a room that does not face internal courtyard.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vicki P
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear VickiP,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us.

Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations during your stay especially in relation to the cleanliness of our corridors. Your review will be used to consider improvements and I hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel sometime in the future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Having stayed on a weekly basis for the past 18 months, Melbourne IC The Rialto has been almost a second home to me. The staff is always very welcoming and warm, before and after I was a Platinum Ambassador.

Kishor Narayanamurthi, the Manager has been so helpful, professional and very reliable. He is always quick and willing to help me with my room reservations, making all my stay in Melbourne so comfortable, and worry free. I cannot thank him enough for all the help he has provided to date. I can always rely on Kishor.

Even the doorman, Cliff is always so warm, helpful and welcoming. Even our driver sing praises about him. It’s such a pleasure to walk out of the hotel in the morning, to greet and have a chat with Cliff.

The reception staff and the concierge have been very welcoming and helpful as well.

The rooms are comfortable and clean. Great room service, continuous replenishment of water bottles & fruits, turn down service, Nespresso machines, gym etc.

Overall, the atmosphere of the hotel is so warm and welcoming. Thank you very much to all the staff, especially Kishor for making my stays so comfortable, it’s like a home away from home. I will definitely come back and also recommend to friends and family.

Dear CassL,

As an Platinum Ambassador I thank you for your loyalty to the InterContinental Hotels and Resorts Brand and in particular, our hotel.

Myself and the team always enjoy welcoming you back and I am glad to hear that you find my colleagues welcoming and helpful. We are certainly delighted to have both Cliff and Kishor as part of our team and I will be sure to share your complimentary feedback with them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Perth
Reviewed November 17, 2013

It is definitely interesting property
Well restored and architecturally rather good example of adaptation of old into the new.
Place is trying hard to live to the expectations, but when Ambassador floor to which i was upgraded have small tired rooms,with badly designed bathrooms (with blocked sink - which was fixed promptly i must say) and big TV on the wrong wall, small cupboard with sliding doors doing what sliding doors doing so well - not sliding smoothly, its a difficult task.
Good concierge service, helpful and courteous. Front desk - lots to desire. Small foyer, having few people make it crowded.
I would not normally write about price but charging those days $25 a day for wireless is a bit steep in may opinion
Average city hotel.

Room Tip: look for an alternative
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear jerzybrodzki,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share feedback on your recent stay with us.
I am very sorry to hear that that the service you received from our Front Desk was less than satisfactory. I would love the opportunity to discuss this with you further and have messaged you my details.

I would also like to take the opportunity to let you know that from 2014 all our IHG Reward Club members will be eligible to access free Internet within the hotel. The best part is that it’s free to join.

Muswellbrook, Australia
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This was one of the highlights of our most recent trip to Melbourne. The front desk and concierge people here were wonderful. They went that extra mile to help you and point you in the right direction. They knew who you were, which is a nice touch. The room was lovely and the children had a ball here.
The location is perfect we walked to just about everywhere we wanted to go. I personally think this hotel has it all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Megan h,

I am so delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto and thank you for sharing your kind feedback with me.

I will be sure to pass this information onto our Front Desk and Concierge teams and I hope sometime in the near future we have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to the hotel.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Spent 2 nights at the Intercontinental The Rialto Melbourne in a Deluxe room and was extremely impressed.

This is a great, historic property that has been given a contemporary make over but still has that classic charm. The room was bright and welcoming and contained all the mod cons: large flat screen TV, Bose sound system and automated curtain operation (loved). The bathroom was spacious and well appointed.

The king size bed was quite comfortable, though a little firmer than the cloud-like mattresses that you come to expect at a property of this standard. Bedding was of a very high standard.

The location is quite central to the CBD, close to the Bourke street shopping mall, some great cafés and a short stroll to Southbank.

The service was professional, particularly on arrival. A little average on departure.

Shame that I had such a busy work schedule and couldn't enjoy it more. Absolutely recommend.

1 Thank 5cott
Dear 5cott,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with me.

I was a disappointed that your departure experience did not meet our usual 5-star standards however, I was relieved that overall you enjoyed your stay with us at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.

I hope that next time you are in Melbourne we might have the opportunity to host you for a leisure visit so that you have the opportunity to enjoy the hotel.