“Beautiful hotel with lots of character, great location.”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #50 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed at Intercontinetal Rialto on a work visit to Melbourne. Amazing hotel with so much character and history. My room was in the heritage section, spacious and charming with a quaint dutch gable window overlooking the interior of the hotel. I believe that each of the heritage rooms are unique, with different features.
This hotel provides excellent service from the minute you enter, with attentive door men greeting guests and eager to assist. I stepped from the busy Melbourne street into a tranquil environment with an historical ambience.
My room was luxurious, good work station and super comfy bed. Breakfast was great, all staff very friendly and professional. Good conference facilities.
I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank lynWollongong
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Dear lynWollongong,

I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with me on TripAdvisor.

I was happy to note that you enjoyed the historic ambiance of the hotel and found my colleagues helpful and friendly. I will be sure to share your feedback with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon!

Kind regards

Reviewed October 17, 2013

My mother and I recently stayed in a lovely twin room at the InterContinential Rialto. The room was spacious, clean and very comfortable with luxurious beds. The bathroom had a shower, toilet and sink which again were very clean and well appointed. We ordered room service for dinner and the food was delivered quickly, was hot and tasted very nice. The staff were extremely helpful - we had a problem with our television and a very friendly handyman attended our room within just a few minutes of us calling reception and had it fixed in no time. The buffet breakfast had a wide variety of hot and cold foods to choose from. The only negative we noticed was we could hear the noise from the bar area until 11 or 12pm. This may not be the case from other rooms though - we were on a low floor. Having said that, I would definitely stay again and even my mother, who is extremely fussy, enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the bar if you prefer an early night - the noise travels quite a bit with the open...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sarah J
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Sarah J,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you and your mother enjoyed your stay at the hotel and found our staff friendly and helpful. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto again soon!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Myself and three friends had High Coffee at the Rialto where we were served by Saskia - what a delight! The food was excellent (although way too much!) and Saskia did everything possible to make our afternoon special and enjoyable. Her Coffee Martini is delicious :)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear Cathie F,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear that Saskia made your high coffee experience a memorable one and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Coming in from Sydney staying same group, I can't help but make comparison!

Firstly, the lobby is small and understaff.
I asked for free upgrade as I was given 2nd floor the recept claim it is already upgraded but later I relished its not true.

Every time I come bak to hotel, I was not given the warm feeling I got from Sydney, it's cold, no smile and lobby looks deserted!

Room is normal, decent and comfortable but much smaller than Sydney room, especially the toilet shower space!

Room make up....no free bottled water, no night turn service and not packing my used clothes unlike Sydney where they will fold nicely for me!

The good thing is breakfast is pretty decent and location is simply great.
It's just near to everywhere and the hotel Italian food is good.

If I have not paid so much or I did not came straight from Intercontinental Sydney, I would probably have lesser expectation and lesser complain.

Room Tip: Insist to stay higher floor if u want upgrade
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Desmondcheng,

Thank you for your recent visit and for taking the time to share your review. We apologize for the shortcomings you may have experienced during your stay with us. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and your feedback will assist us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Great service and great rooms. Checked in after trip from NZ late evening, bar was open and with a couple nite caps slept well. Fruit for breakfast but also hot breakfast if you want cooked as you wanted by chef. The concierge was very helpful and organised taxis before flying out in afternoon to Sydney for more meetings. Highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear tedegan1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with me.

I was delighted to note that you found our concierge team helpful with your travel requirements to the airport.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Melbourne and the hotel again soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I am a frequent user of the Rialto due to work in Melbourne. Nearly every visit to the hotel (usually every two to three weeks) I order room service, in particular breakfast.

I would say at least 80% of the time the order is either late or (in most occasions) something is missing.

I've hesitated each time an order is incorrect to leave a review however, this time it was quite farcical. I pre-ordered room service this morning (and the previous morning) for a particular time. On both occasions I had to call to inquire as to where my order is (at least 15 mins late). When the order finally arrived this morning it was missing one item (some bacon). So I called room service to enquire about the missing item from the order. They confirmed they would send it right up. Well, I am now finished my breakfast. It is about 30 mins after the call and no followup to my call and the commitment made from the person in room service.

If the Rialto believes it is justified in it's rating as a 4 to 5 star hotel it has a long way to go with room service. Given I've experienced things such as described above now for over 18 months there is something seriously wrong in either the kitchen or their supporting services.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 1Way_down_under1

Dear 1Way_down_under1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with me.

I was disappointed to note that on several occasions you have experienced challenges with your room service order. May I kindly ask for the opportunity to discuss this with you further? I have messaged you my private details so that we may get in contact.

Kind regards

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Great welcome from staff as we pulled up in our rental car. They were really helpful with our bags while directing us to the car drop off point. Traffic was horrible so help was much appreciated. Our room was very comfortable and the combo internet/breakfast pricing tolerable at $40. Hate paying for internet but what do you do. However the breakfast buffet was exceptionally good - lovely venue and endless choices, so when you consider what a decent breakfast would cost elsewhere guess we could live with it.

Only quibble was all the room service tray leftovers lying in the hallways for pickup. Don't know whether this was the guest not calling for pick up or hotel not being diligent. Annoying to pass uneaten French fries and chocolate mousse congealing on the plate ...... Some of the trays were languishing for up to 15 hours by our reckoning. That being said, great staff and comfortable stay.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Watsonsgotravelling
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Watsonsgotravelling,

I am delighted that you took the time to share your kind review with me.

Often the Collins Street traffic can be a little horrendous but I am glad to hear that you received a great welcome from the staff upon pulling up at the driveway.

I hope on your next visit to Australia we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.