“One of the best Intercontinental's around”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #40 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“One of the best Intercontinental's around”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

I just cannot understand why this is not in the top 5 hotels in Melbourne. Service is excellent, from check-in to check-out. Very quiet, great shower and excellent bed and pillows. The desk and chair make working in your room almost a pleasure.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank aussiekiwi_boy
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Aussiekiwi_boy,

It is always a please to hear from a return guest and I thank you for providing your glowing feedback.

We are working our way to Top 5 and it is always a pleasure to hear that we are heading in the right direction!

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 30, 2013

having alerted the Hotel to a bithday weekend I was checked in to a king room in the intercontinental club area. When gettng to the room I remembered a previous experience when the room had a noise problem .Guess what at 2 am the loading area below srarting loading the trash into metal bins. Bottles smashing and closing bins. At 4.00 am the garbage truck arrived and more noise .Reported this at reception in the morning.

The room was fine excpet for the disturbed sleep

Room Tip: do not take the back rooms
1 Thank Ganteng45
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Ganteng45,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with me.

I was disappointed to note that you were awoken by the garbage collection early in the morning. If there is anything we can do to make your next stray more comfortable please do not hesitate to ask for the Manager on Duty.

Sydney
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I recently stayed in a club room with my husband for a weekend in Melbourne. The service at this hotel was outstanding. The reception staff, the concierge, the staff at the club, the restaurant and bar staff, were obliging and helpful. We arrived very early and we were able to check in immediately. Service is efficient but unobtrusive. The room was spacious, luxurious and the bed was so comfortable. We used the hotel club and were made to feel home. Breakfast was of a high standard and I ate the best steak that I have had in a long time.

The staff were helpful in recommending places to see and had great senses of humour, which added to the welcome. This is the best place to stay if you want a luxury weekend in Melbourne. The location is great and the architecture of the Rialto and surrounding and Collins St is sophisticated. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a Club room
1 Thank Darghan
Dear Darghan,

As a senior contributor thank you for sharing your delightful review on TripAdvisor.
I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the Club Lounge and that our staff were able to make you feel at home.
I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again very soon.

Port Lincoln, Australia
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Can't wait to go back for another awesome meal in the restaurant. The staff were amazing and I think we meet the best concierge ever... Will look at any reason to get back to Melbourne just to stay here again to enjoy their fantastic food, wine & service... Oh and by the way the rooms were great also.. Highly recommend it..

Room Tip: We used valet parking at highly recommend it. It is $50 per night. There is no close by parking. Jus...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Natram
Dear Natram,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meal in the restaurant as we have recently worked toward implementing some exciting changes to our menu.

I hope that you are able to find that reason to come back to Melbourne soon and we look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We booked this hotel for a long weekend away. It wasn't cheap, but seeing as we were having a child free weekend, we felt we deserved it. We were welcomed at the front door by the hotel Concierge who offered to take our bags and took us over to reception. Check in was quick and easy and we were in our room within minutes. Our room was impressive and appeared to be newly refurbished. Loved the big shower with choice of rainhood or showerhead and the electric curtains were a great touch. Room service was used on the first night and was fine. We included breakfast in our package and was fab. Everything you could possibly want and more. Gym was great and pool facilities good. All in all 10 / 10...... can't wait for our next visit. Worth mentioning 10min walk to Southbank and all restaurants, casino and movies etc..... although we arrived on a Saturday night and every restaurant was fully booked.... so book ahead!!!

1 Thank TheBudges4
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear The Budges4,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful arrival experience at the hotel and that we were able to provide you with a delightful child free weekend! Should you ever have difficulties attempting to book a restaurant during your next stay please visit the concierge. I know they will be able to assist you with some alternative suggestions and book a table on your behalf.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Sebastian Germeshausen
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Went for a weekend away with my wife.The staff welcomed us the second we arrived in the door. Reception was painless, the lifts were fast. The room was fresh and new. Its good to see that a business re-invests into its product. Nothing seems to be skimped on and for the price, nor should it. More than happy to give it a rap. The only thing I could fault was a noisy sink(sucking sound) in the bathroom. Shut the door and could not hear it.

1 Thank Mark B
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Mark B,

Thank you for staying with us on your most recent visit and writing about your experience at the hotel.

I am delighted that you and your wife felt welcomed from the moment that you walked in the door and that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

I hope that you we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kind regards
Craigieburn, Australia
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I've stayed at The Rialto about a dozen times now and have previously given this property a great review. Unfortunately, the hotel has worked very hard to prove me wrong and to lose my business and they've succeeded.

The service proved has been in steady decline since I've started staying at The Rialto and it is now at an intolerable level. In the past they have generously provided Royal Ambassadors with an upgrade and Club access. Not anymore. Other properties provide a nice plate with various tropical fruit. Here you get a couple of apples. The last time I was in the Club Lounge it was so crowded that I couldn't get a seat and had to eat my canapés standing up while crowded with a group of Hells Angels wearing singlets and thongs. All of this as well as several other issues such as not getting the GUARANTEED upgrade as part of the Ambassador Program, poor service and cold food at breakfast made the stay a ruined New Years Eve. However, one of the IHG staff, Mr Germanhausen, sent me a very nice email saying that he would "look after" me the next time I stayed at his property. It's a shame that didn't happen. In fact, it's a shame that this property has declined so far that I didn't even make it back in the door!

After the New Years Eve disaster I have stayed away from this property but I figured I'd give them another chance and tried to book a room for my birthday. The IHG web site quoted me a price but when I went to book the room the price jumped by $17. No biggie but I called reservations to confirm the rate. The operator in the Philippines said that both rates were wrong and the best rate available was an additional $50! I wasn't paying $67 more than their advertised rate so I called the hotel front desk, was transferred a few times and was finally told that the "Rooms available at" rate was for rooms that weren't available. Right.... Clearly, you no longer want my business. Fair enough. Maybe the Hilton does. You ruined New Years Eve and I was stupid enough to give you the chance to ruin my birthday as well. Big mistake! Thanks for making it impossible. I'm sure I'll have a great time with your competition.

Room Tip: Don't bother joining the IHG Club or Ambassador Program if you're going to stay here. It'...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank medic51vrf
Dear Medic51vrf,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your valuable feedback. We apologize for the shortcomings you may have experienced during your stays with us.

It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. I would love the opportunity to discuss your feedback further and have messaged you with my contact details.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you.