“Lovely, central hotel”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #47 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Spent a night here. Great location, close to shops, transport and restaurants. Staff were great, rooms nice and quiet. I was just a little disappointed that I did have a bath in the room. For the price you pay, I think it should be a given. That said lovely rooms and would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kazm76
InterContinenta... M, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Dear Kazm76,

Thank you for sharing your review. As you would have noticed during your stay the hotel is an old heritage building which unfortunately does not allow for bath tubs in every room. I hope you enjoyed the unique aspects of the property however and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Sebastian Germershausen

Write a ReviewReviews (2,206)

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed 3 nights using Priority Club points. So, had a tiny but adequate, Japanese-style room. Was allowed to join the Club Lounge for a reasonable fee and was happy that we did so for complimentary breakfast and Happy Hour.. Had a decent size swimming pool for a city hotel and a so-so gym. Interesting adaptive reuse of two historic buildings joined by a glass-covered atrium and catwalk. Staff was very nice. Would go back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TuanBesar69

Dear TuanBesar69,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This really isn't one of the top hotels in Melbourne. The porters, check-in (on this occasion) and some of the restaurant staff do a good job but overall there's an inconsistency in service and vibe about the place that made me feel less than comfortable.
This time here (my third) I booked a twin room because last time (unreviewed) I got a "king" bed made up of two smaller beds pushed together. One twin bed squeaked and moved but fortunately the other one was more stable. Comfort-wise it was ok but nothing special and far from the comfort I've experienced at other hotels in the city. The bathroom was fine but tight and equivalent to a four star hotel. Overall this is a nice hotel but is not a great hotel and I would recommend staying elsewhere if you're looking for a luxurious stay or planning a special occasion because I think there's a good chance you'll be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 12,345,678,966
InterContinenta... M, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear 12345678966,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your experience and would very much like the opportunity to speak to you about this further. I have sent you my personal contact details via private message and invite you to contact me to discuss your experience.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have stayed here before a few times but not written a review - thought I would do so this time.
Our visit was for one night only, and we had a very early 7.30am arrival time at the hotel. We could have had a room straight away but they said our upgraded room (as my wife is a Platinum Ambassador member) was not available at that time.
Receptionist said she would phone me when available. I have been to other hotels where they say they will phone and most of they time that does not happen. However I did receive a message about three hours later advising our room was available - so a 10.30am check in for me was great service.
The thing I like about the hotel is that it is only about a five minute walk away from the middle of the city, or say the casino (not that we use that but just to give an idea where it is).
Inside our room (it was only one upgrade from the standard room we booked but hey an upgrade is an upgrade) which was on the top floor (Ambassador level) and all amenities as you would expect. I really enjoy the coffee machine in the room with coffee capsules.
The Intercontinental also offer Ambassador members a late check out of 4pm and so we used that option as well as we had a late evening flight back to Sydney.
Breakfast - this was part of our room package that we purchased. I always love the breakfast - wide selection, eggs cooked any way you want, great coffees. Probably not cheap at about $35 a person but good to do at least once.
I have nothing but praise for the place. My wife also enjoys the Crowne Plaza in Melbourne as that overlooks the river - but both hotel chains are owned by the same group and if I have a choice it would first be the Intercontinental.

Room Tip: Join the Ambassador Club for about $200 - you get a certificate to give you one night free (stay two...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BrisbaneKiwi

Dear BrisbaneKiwi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review, I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I am glad you enjoyed your Ambassador benefits and I hope I look forward to welcoming you and your wife back again in the future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great room, great breakfast, great location. The hotel staff is exceptional. The concierge was wonderful in arranging tours - restaurant recommendations - and making all the right suggestions to make our stay in Melbourne terrific. Thank you for helping to make our visit so memorable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Liz130

Dear Liz130,

Thank you for your kind feedback, I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

As this was my first time in Melbourne this was a great start. I had a booked a limo through the hotel and it was very simple, as the taxis were on strike this was a good choice. I stayed on the ambassador floor which meant easy access to the pool, spa and gym. The layout of these is far superior to other intercontinental hotels. Although the breakfast was a bit less sumptuous than other ICH it was very good. The concierge seemed distracted when asked about a place to eat and I got better information from the person who brought my bags to the room. Our room faced outward and was very quiet. Unfortunately the windows do not open, due to some city regulation about balconies and it would have been nice to have some fresher air. Also confusing was our attempt to go to high tea which the front desk advised us was available, but the location was shut for a private functions. Fortunately the bar was able to arrange a nice tea with desert tray. I can't fault the staff for trying to help, but it seems they need to communicate better.

Room Tip: If you can get on the ambassador floor it is preferable
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear applejuice12,

Thank you for sharing your review, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry you were not able to experience High Tea however I’m glad to hear you were offered a substitute. Please know I will be sure to share your other feedback with the concierge team and hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here 4 nights, was upgraded from basic room to executive room as Ambassador Priority Club, main difference was slightly larger room with a desk and chair. Rooms have everything you need however quite small, opened out onto balcony overlooking restaurant and bars. Hotel located really close to shops, and Southern Cross Station and their factory outlets. Staff were friendly, restaurant really good, great choice of delicious food, same goes for room service, which was quick. Sauna, gym, spa all very good. Few things I didn't like:- 1) my bed was uncomfortable, mattress dipped both sides, so had to lie in the middle, lucky I was by myself. 2) the noise from the restaurants and bars travels upwards of an evening making it hard to sleep, I would ask for a room on the other side away from this next time. 3) every morning just after 1am I was woken up by the sound of the vacuum cleaner in the restaurant/bars below...so annoying, again I guess if room was on the other side this may not be an issue. One final comment,we had a fire alarm evacuation at 8.30 one morning, which by all means is good knowing if there was a fire, the system works. However a staff member told me later that they also had one a week or so ago, and they thought there must be a fault in the system. Suggest they get that sorted out sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: Choose a room that doesn't overlook the bars and restaurants to avoid the noise
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Karen C

Dear Karen C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, we sincerely appreciate the feedback of our guests. May I apologise for the disruptions you experienced, especially the false fire alarm. I would like the opportunity to discuss your other feedback with you and have sent you my personal contact details in a private message. I hope I have the opportunity to speak with you and welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.