“5 star service in a great location.”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #43 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“5 star service in a great location.”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My fiancée and I stayed at The Rialto for our anniversary and were so impressed with our stay. Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly staff members who quickly ascertained that we were celebrating a special occasion. Within half an hour of settling into our room, a staff member greeted us with a surprise bottle of champagne and a personalised card that had been typed to wish us a happy anniversary, such a personal touch! The buffet breakfast is fantastic and all inclusive! All requests such as late check out were happily accommodated, with a smile on each staff members face. Great location, walking distance to great shopping in town and to Southbank, Crown etc. Highly recommended and will stay again. Thank you for contributing to our special occasion! Brooke & Tim.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brooke A
InterContinenta... M, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Brooke A,

Firstly may I congratulate you on your anniversary! I am so glad you chose to stay with us to celebrate the occasion and thank you for taking the time to share your kind review. I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel a few times before and we wont stay elsewhere. The service was excellent, rooms were clean and more than adequate for our small family. It's placed at a convenient location, walking distance to everything. The casino is a 5 minute stroll down the road. The breakfast was scrumptious would fill you up to last the whole day. I would recommend this hotel for couples and families.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Cars2001
Dear Cars2001,

Thank you for sharing your review, I am so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel lots of times for work and it is fantastic. The only down side is no view from the rooms. Service is the best of any hotel I have ever stayed at, food is great and the location is very central. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Piupster
InterContinenta... M, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Piupster,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am so glad you enjoyed you stay and hope I get the opportunity to welcome you back again!

Sydney
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We spent four lovely nights at this beautiful luxury hotel to celebrate our anniversary.
As others have said it is the staff here that set this hotel apart and we would agree. All staff we encountered went out of their way to help however they could.
We stayed in a King Club room - a lovely room with club lounge access - an amazing place to relax with a drink or nibbles. The club lounge serves coffee and soft drinks all day, a very light afternoon tea and drinks and canapes for two plus hours before dinner. We found the Lounge a great place to retreat to for a coffee or cool drink after wandering the Melbourne streets. However we felt that the food on offer did not measure up to the offering at the Sofitel in both Melbourne & Sydney where the array of food for both afternoon tea & drinks time is spectacular. In this respect we were disappointed with what was offered at this hotel - e.g. cold hard scones that had been either refrigerated or frozen & a few sweet cakes for afternoon tea and a small tasting plate (very nice) with some cold meats & cheeses for drink time ( nothing at all for anyone with wheat intolerance - would have loved a rice cracker). We did however still really enjoy our little visits to the lounge and had we not been to the others would not have known any different.
As for the room - it was absolutely lovely with great bathroom with both bath & shower, spotlessly clean with nice toiletries and huge fluffy towels. The room was very large and opened onto the central area of the hotel where the two old buildings have been melded to creat this gorgeous hotel. The only problem we found with the aspect of the room was that you have no idea what it is like outside when you wake in the morning - I personally found this a bit disorienting and would prefer a room with an outward facing window. The room itself was quite a large one which was great but we found the TV a bit far away for watching comfortably.One highlight was the nice selection of teas & the lovely Nespresso machine. Prices from the minibar were ridiculous so we didn,t touch it. The nightly turndown was great as we not only got a little chocolate on our pillow but also a bottle of water each - a real bonus!
Breakfast was served in the Club but most days we opted for the larger selection in the restaurant - very nice with even espresso coffees thrown in and the most incredible service!
The only real problem we had while at the hotel was that this was the time of year when they do renovations - so there was a strong smell of paint and also on our last day there was a sign to say that the restaurant would be closing for a few days - we were glad that we had finished our time as we rely on the priority privilege card to give us a discount at the hotel's main restaurant (the food was beautiful by the way).
I definitely think that paying the extra for a Club room is well worth it as the club lounge access gives good value for the little extra.
Overall we had a lovely break at this hotel - were sent bubbly & fruit for our anniversary - felt totally pampered the whole time by the wonderful staff. We do hope to return and will ask if there are any renovations going on before we book and will definitely book a Club room.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a club room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank holiday-lover27
InterContinenta... M, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear holiday-lover27,

May I first congratulate you on your anniversary! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and chose to celebrate with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review, I will be sure to share your feedback with the team. I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Charming in every manner: beautiful historical building on the outside with a well-kept, modern interior; attentive, informative and warm customer service. I literally could not fault this hotel. I believe if you are paying for 5 star, then you should receive exemplary service. No one disappointed, the doorman was very knowledgeable regarding what was on at the galleries when asked and always acknowledged my presence on exit or returning, the front of house staff were respectful, polite and helpful, and the concierge never failed to greet with a smile. If you looked lost/in need of help for more than 10 seconds, someone materialised before your eyes to assist! Look forward to my next visit very much.

Room Tip: If you need a quiet room, just ask - I requested one away from Collins street, although it is not a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank AnnaMoulton
Dear AnnaMoulton,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Who knew? This hotel is absolutely fantastic. The level of service, especially in the Club Lounge competes with the best of them internationally. I am shocked at the level of service, did not know it still existed in Aus. Have stayed several times now and the staff will do their upmost to please. I thought I was in the highend of Malaysia/Thailand etc with the level of service. My wife attended recently for the first time and stayed without me and they treated her fantastically.
Thanks to the Kishor the PR Manager, does his job well and to the credit of the hotel.
Note: Although an Intercont Hotel, it has a more of a boutique feel about it. This is a business or shopping venue as opposed to a "resort" style hotel in the heart of Melbourne CBD.

Room Tip: Club room recommended if it is on your budget. All the rooms I have stayed have never had any noise...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Wilson W
InterContinenta... M, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Wilson W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and our team delivered the high service standard we always aspire to. I will be sure to pass on your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

australia
Reviewed January 6, 2013

A comfortable and nice stay at the InterContinental Melbourne. The hotel interior, including the rooms, had a beautiful ambience and were tastefully decorated - destroyed only by the very average service from staff in some areas (particularly one very rude lady in the Club Lounge). I should say that most of the staff were pleasant and helpful, other than the odd person I came across who wasn't. The rooms were clean and the beds were extremely comfortable, so you will definitely get a good night's sleep here. The food was very good. Overall, a gorgeous hotel, but when you pay top dollar you want top service at all levels and it just wasn't there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank austravelAustralia
InterContinenta... M, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear austravelAustralia,

Thank you for your kind review, I am glad to hear that over all you enjoyed your stay with us. As we pride ourselves on excellent service it does however sadden me to hear that you did not receive this consistently, especially in the Club facilities. I have sent you my personal contact details privately and invite you to contact me directly so I may speak with you about your experience, as I would very much like the opportunity to do so.