“Stylish interContinental Hotel with a great location”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #35 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Stylish interContinental Hotel with a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights and really liked the style and design of this hotel as well as the location.
I was in town to attend a trades how, which took place in the convention center.even though there are closer hotels this was just perfect. It was only a 15 minute walk and had the advantage, that it was on the busy Collins street, close to some nice bars, right next to the Rialto Towers and therefore next to a great restaurant "Vue de Monde". Also as I don't Like to stay in. Use hotels such as the Crown with it's casino,this hotel was a comfortable place, from which you weren't too far away.

The Club lounge staff were very friendly and delivered a great and efficient service during my breakfast visits. I didn't check out the evening drinks and snacks as I was out, but I'm sure they would have been great too.

I must say, since InterContinenta took over this property it has developed itself into a great place.

• Stayed February 2012
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Dear ck050877,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your thoughtful and enthusiastic review. I was so happy to read of your wonderful experience during your recent stay and that you had such a special experience in the Club InterContinental Lounge.
The entire hotel team looks forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

Booked the hotel last minute, tried to book online but had an error regarding the IATA code on the web. Tried to book direct with the hotel but no one answered the phone. Eventually got through and was put through I assume to the US. Never received a confirmation email. Arrived at the hotel to be told the rate which included breakfast was for 1 person, not according to the website that I looked at. This was eventually sorted and the receptionist apologised for keeping us waiting. Went out for a few hours, came back to turn the TV on to watch the news, no remote. After waiting more than 20 mins went for a swim. Came back, still no remote called reception was informed they would send another one up! Went out for dinner, on our way out asked reception to send the remote to our room. Also asked housekeeping to turn down our bed and replenish tea bags, never stayed in a 5 star hotel before that this wasn't an automatic procedure.Came back still no remote, no turn down service and no tea bags. My husband went back to reception and asked again. 20 minutes later he called for the 4th time, was hoping to watch a movie but by the time we eventually got the remote 10.10pm had gone past it. Never had a TV guide in the room. Have stayed in several 5 star CBD hotels and have always had fantastic experiences, would rate this hotel as 3 star. Today was a better experience, breakfast was excellent and all staff were friendly....shame yesterday left a bad impression.

2 Thank FifiMelbourne
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, February 26, 2012
Dear FifiMelbourne,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me the feedback from your recent stay. I was so disheartened to read that your stay was less than perfect and may I apologise in advance for any inconvenience that you experienced.
I would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again and would like you to please contact me directly.
I will message you my email address and I encourage you to please make contact.
AUSTRALIA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

As an Ambassador Club member we had an upgrade to a very large room. Had all the amenities you would expect in this class of hotel.
Due to the construction of the hotel (mostly rooms face into the internal courtyard / reception) you don't actually have a "view". Our room did look to the outside of the building but we were still unable to see the sky.
Bed was very comfortable with good choice of pillows and our room was extremely quiet. Breakfast was on the expensive side at around $44 so we chose not to eat there. Gym and pool were nice. Check in and out was very smooth and all staff very friendly and professional. Would recommend.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank AustraliaKangaroo
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Dear AustraliaKangaroo,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your feedback regarding your recent stay. I was so happy to read that you had such a wonderful time with us.
I would like to take this opportunity to advise that our full buffet breakfast is $38 per person in Alluvial Restaurant, our main restaurant on the Flinders Lane level of the hotel, and we consider this to be competitive with other five star hotels in Melbourne.
I will still be sure to pass your feedback onto our food and beverage manager for consideration.
The entire team looks forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

We stayed at the intercontinental Rialto on 10th feb 2012,from the valet parking to the check in staff,buffet breakfast,and the free bottle of wine for my birthday,was totaly the best hotel we have stayed in across the world.

1 Thank Jane G
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear Jane G,
Thank you for sharing with me your wonderful feedback about your recent stay and may I also say happy birthday to you!
The kind words that you shared truly made my day and I hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

A romantic weekend, last minute booking. Wow. From the moment we pulled up, all staff were just wonderful. The room was really clever for a multi storey inner city hotel. The bars/restaurants were great, but there are many amazing Melbourne restaurants very close as well. The pool is open til 10 which was an added bonus. Breakfast was something else. You'd think all these five star hotel breakfast buffets would all be good but this one had some lovely touches that made it worth coming back for.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Dear LeavingsoonMelbourne,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your wonderful review. It made me so happy to read that you had such a great romantic stay. We are indeed very lucky to have some wonderful Melbourne restaurants very close to the hotel in addition to the restaurant, bar and wine lounge that we have inside the hotel.
The entire hotel team looks forward to welcoming you back again soon.
australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

we stayed at the Intercontinental on 23 December 2011 and had a great experience. Like other intercontinental we have stayed in the service was very efficient and courteous. Whilst a little out of the shopping precinct it was an easy walk to the Bourke Street mall which is close to the geographical centre of shopping in Melbourne. It was also within easy walking distance of the Crown complex and Southbank also. If you are not a walker the location is easily accessible by tram as is the rest of Melbourne City from this location. By the way the breakfast was fantastic and we highly recommend. For work ot pleasure we recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Dear pmh3,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your wonderful review. It made me so happy to read that you had such a great experience during your stay in December and that you enjoyed your breakfast in Alluvial Restaurant also.
The entire hotel team looks forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Perth, Western Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

I have stayed at the Intercontinental Rialto a number of times. It has a wonderful feel about it and the staff their make you feel welcome and are helpful with any questions. The rooms that I have stayed in are well layed out, comfortable and technology is good. Whether its business or holidays its well located in the city and you are close to everything. In a day and age that is security conscious I am always surprised that teh Rialto Melbourne does not have card security in their lifts. You walk into the building, walk 15 metres to lift, walk in and push a button to any floor you want. OK I know that thats a bit simple but I have not been into a 5 star hotel in recent years that does not have lift card security. A small warning, if you check in on the weekend they bill your card for the whole amount of the first night and the story goes when you check out they credit this and you pay your whole bill ( this is a weekend thing I am told). They did that to me with the problem being that amount was not credited from my card and the check out total amount is also on my card. They have double dipped. After a number of calls with the hotel they said it was the banks fault and that I would need to dispute the charge with the bank to get the credit. So I have and will need to wait 90 days for the amount to be credited. The hotel agrees I have been charged twice but in the end they flicked all the hard work to me to sort out. Bottom line when you check in on a weekend and they say they will debit your card for the first night expect to be sorting it out with your bank when they say its all too hard. I enjoy having a drink in teh bar just off the lobby but for breakfast I highly recommend The Merchant which is owned by Guy Grossi and is located in the Rialto building, they do great deserts at night and the menu looks excellent.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear TrumanWA,
Thank you very much for your review and your honest feedback. As outlined in our previous correspondence, we do sincerely apologise for the difficulties that you have experienced with your credit card. May I also assure you that your feedback has been most valuable to us in assessing our systems.
We have since revised our procedures in light of your experience and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.