ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel
Novotel Melbourne on Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$130
$124
$240
$172
$89
$80
  • Pool
Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Docklands(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$96
$72
  • Free Internet
Crowne Plaza Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$152
$121
  • Restaurant
Citadines on Bourke Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$195
$107
$85
$77
  • Restaurant
Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$74
$69
  • Restaurant
Art Series - The Larwill Studio(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$137
$113
  • Fitness center
$290
$233
1,432 results
All reviewssouthern cross stationairport busetihad stadiumwould stay againtram stopskybustransport
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I wasn't expecting much for $137NZD a night, but was so disappointed by the hotel itself , the unclean room, the air con that didn't work, and the one blanket that didn't offer much warmth, and it smelled like an old pub. The shower broke the first time we used it, the noise pollution was horrendous - the paper thin walls meant you could hear complete conversations on the same floor, and with a pub down the road who have live bands, it felt like we were trying to sleep in the middle of a stadium.

The house cleaning service was half hearted also - I don't mind making my own bed, but if the service is there and you have shopping to do....The top cover was pulled up with all the bed sheets still crumpled underneath. I also wasn't impressed by the cigarette smoke that filled our level each day - it came into our room as well.

I would not recommend this place - the last night we moved to the back packers down the road (for $22/night, and free dinner!!) and had a better time there. Give this one a wide berth!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank TJPAck
Reviewed August 9, 2008

You get what you pay for and I wasn't expecting much more than I got for about NZD$50 a night in Nov 07.....a tiny room with 2 single beds, a chair, and a wardrobe.

It was quite hot and no fan in the room, or window that opened (it opened just a crack but was next to other big buildings and noisy fans etc, so not much point opening it really).

The bathrooms were shared but unfortunately the bathroom on our level was out of order for most of the time we stayed there, so we had to hike up to the next level up for the toilets and showers! Ah well, we coped...

At least the beds were changed each day.

The staff were not tooooo friendly, but still managed to get what we wanted, they helped us hire a car for a day and when that got stuffed up by the first person who tried to book it (they didnt actually SEND the fax to the rental company, left it sitting around), they were quite nice about fixing their mistake and getting us a car for the next day - altho we spent about 2 hours sitting around in reception while they did that and served customers as it is a very busy hotel.

The simple breakfast in the hotel cafe for AUD$5 is good!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2008

There were 3 familys of us, 6 adults and 8 kids and we had 3 family rooms. We stayed for 4 nights and enjoyed it very much. The rooms had kettle, fridge and bathrooms that were just great to accomodate our family's. The rooms were very clean and serviced and topped up with milk, coffee etc everyday. The staff was very friendly and helped us with any questions etc. If we ran out of milk or coffee they did not hesitate to give us more. The 1st floor baconey was great for sitting back and relaxing with a drink or two before you went to bed. It gave us time to unwind after our huge days shopping. It is close to the telstra dome, casino and aquarium. Trams and trains are just around corner and taxi stands close by. I would recomend this hotel any body.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Our stay at the Kingsgate Hotel was extremely disappointing. Our room was a dingy box with a bed, a wardrobe and chair. The wardrobe had clothes left in it from previous occupants and there wasn't even a phone to contact concierge. Too bad if there was a fire and we needed to let them know downstairs. Also the walls are paper thin and you can hear everyone walking around and banging doors all night.
The website did not clearly state the description of the room we received.
We had to share a bathroom which was also very unhygienic and dirty. There was no hot water on both days we stayed there which is a health hazard to start with. When we complained about the hot water on check-out they told us that the hot water system had only gone down that morning however it was down for the entire weekend and they couldn't explain that.
There were only 2 bathrooms on the floor for 32 rooms with only 1 shower in each and two toilets.
There was a shared lounge room, which we were not even told about at all. We only found out it was there as friends stayed on a different floor and found it.
The only thing I was happy about while staying in Melbourne at this hotel was the location of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MongeeAdelaide
Reviewed July 12, 2008

Basically, you get what you pay for at this place. Is it the cleanest hotel around? By no means. Is it the filthiest place you've ever stayed in? Probably not. Is the staff the friendliest? Not really. Are they the worst? Not really either. Safe and convenient location? Not so much (in fact, one Aussie told me, when I told him where I was staying, that King Street is "the place you go when you want to get beaten up"). But is it the worst? Not really.

I stayed here for a week. I was a little depressed when I first saw my room, because it was small, not so clean, and lit by only a single bulb. But staying here wasn't horrible. Honestly, you get what you pay for. So: they changed my sheets every day and provided me with nice towels and soap. But I don't think they ever vacuumed the floor of my room (there were numerous hard-to-identify stains), washed the walls, got the gunk out of the corners, etc. If you're just looking for a place to sleep, then you'll probably do fine here. But if you're actually looking for a nice place to come home to at the end of the day, or during the day, it might be a little too depressing (it was for me).

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business