“This Hotel Ibis is a a disgrace to the brand of both Ibis and for Accor”

ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel
Ranked #136 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I recently stayed at the hotel ibis and was blown away at the disgrace of this hotel. As per previous comments the rooms are old with windows not opening, cracked and dirty walls, unfinished paintwork in the rooms and hallways. After the front desk received a complaint of my room I went down to reception as they said they would upgrade me. The manager on the night informed me that I was in the best room the hotel had and do I realise I am staying in a three star hotel! this was said in quite a rude tone. I have stayed at hotel ibis in sydney and Perth and both are fantastic. I went to my 'upgraded' room which I was told was the best the hotel had on a different level and was mortified. The whole wall had a crack from ceiling to floor. The walls looked like they had thrown the paint on. There was some sort of spill on the wall which hadn't been wiped, and problems with the TV signal. when I called to get assistance I was told it would take at least 20 minutes before someone would be coming up woth no apology for the delay. It was most certainly NOT superior! I understand this hotel may not be five star but this to me felt like I was staying in a hostel. I will be sending a formal complaint with pictures to ACCOR as this is damaging to have this hotel as part of their brand. I truly hope people look at these reviews so they will ensure to look at an alternate hotel in Melbourne.

From Disgraced guest

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Talie123
GMKingsgate, Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Talie123,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the ibis Styles Kingsgate. We’re disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with your time with us.

I apologise for any problems that you had with our staff at the hotel. Our staff are friendly, diligent and helpful but there are some occasions when the hotel is busy where service can be slow and below average. This doesn’t happen often and I’m very sorry.

I'm also sorry your upgraded room did not meet your expectations, our refurbishment of 2010 has tried to retain the elegance of the 1926 building while also modernising our rooms, however we are continually upgrading and assessing areas that need attention, your concerns regarding TV signal and walls have been addressed with our maintenance department.

I appreciate you sharing your concerns and I hope that you will give the ibis Styles Kingsgate the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

ibis Styles Kingsgate General Manager

There are newer reviews for ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Where do I start? Booked this through Flight Centre to use a gift voucher. I remember thinking "it's an Ibis - how bad could it be"? Boy was I wrong.

I'll start with the good bits: the foyer is nice and the location is good.

As soon as you get to the hallway your stomach drops - the carpet is grubby and completely worn down. We had 3 adults in a family room for $200, which was tiny, dated and dirty. The windows didn't open, which wasn't too big a deal as it was just a noisy alley anyway. The shower was curtain ONLY so water gets all over the bathroom floor, and the whole bathroom smelled like dirty drain. There was no mixer tap on the sink, so it was either boiling hot or freezing cold. We didn't get face cloths or hand-towels. Parking is at the train station "nearby" according to the website, but a 15 minute walk is not nearby if you have luggage. It's $25 a day but you can only leave once and otherwise it's surrounded by clearways so nowhere to park between check-in and going out for dinner. At least you can walk to dinner, which you should do in Melbourne anyway.

Looks NOTHING like the photos on the website. I would have taken my own photo but I didn't want to have to look at it again once I'd left. Stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Radivostok
GMKingsgate, General Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Radivostok,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry we failed to meet your expectations on this stay in relation to the room, but was glad you found our location valuable and the lobby accommodating.

We wish you a pleasant stay at your next hotel!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I booked a single room. I've got an incredible big room with three beds! Cleaning was very good.
The only things I didn't appreciate was the costs of wi-fi (and the smaller downloadable limit of MBs). It was also near to the Southern Cross and I catch the bus for the airport in easy way

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DeRaude

Dear DeRaude,

Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad you liked the room and took advantage of our great location!

We look forward to welcoming you back next time Melbourne calls!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed October 25, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
GMKingsgate, General Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Reviewed October 22, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Hmmm, certainly not what the pictures of the rooms show at reception. I have stayed at a number of ibis hotels and this is not a true ibis hotel. The only nice part of this hotel is the foyer. The rooms were grubby and dirty. There are way too many hotels in Melbourne to stay without having to stoop to staying here. Reception couldn't seem to cope, especially with others who had just booked in and were straight back down wanting to move to another hotel after having seen their below average rooms. As was I. This is a 2 star hotel at best and should be advertised as such, all reception could say was " this is a budget hotel" that I'm afraid is an understatement.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
GMKingsgate, General Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Paul H,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Sorry to read that we fell short of your expectations, we have several room types available at the hotel, and all of them from the Economy room through to the more recently refurbished Superior rooms are on display via the screen at reception. The room types certainly do differ in their style and fit out, and in turn are priced accordingly. On occasions when availability permits we can organise an upgrade to the next room type if one is unhappy with what they booked. During this busy time leading up to Spring Carnival, there unfortunately will be days when an upgrade is unavailable.

We wish you a pleasant stay in the future, regardless of where that may be!