Ranked #133 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My partner and I stayed from the 19/07-22/07 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday) and both pleasantly enjoyed our stays, for the most part. Reading all the negative reviews prior to leaving left me really apprehensive and I was praying we’d not have the same problems as other tripadvisors. It seems my partner and I sort of lucked out. I’ll start with the hotel itself, ideally situated no more then a 5 minute walk from the Southern Cross Station on Kings Street, the foyer is quite small and it did get a little uncomfortably cramped when guests starting packing in to check in at 1pm, nevertheless the front desk were exceptionally proficient, kind and helpful. Our room was located on the second floor, now I’ve read reviews saying you should try and push for a room on higher floors to avoid the sound of the supposed club/pub downstairs, I didn’t push for a higher floor the whole stay and honestly didn’t hear any noise from the pub/club. Yes the building is old and the plumbing is quite loud, we did hear the water running from the floors above us but its nothing that kept me awake or left me sleepless. My partner and I are quite used to city noise living in the CBD back home so I guess I was less inclined to complain or even notice. The mini fridge was a bit smelly, like it hadn’t been cleaned in a while and was stocked full of little mini milk shots (to make tea or coffee with). Rather then be too cold (we stayed in the dead of winter) we always found our room to be quite warm and ended up turning on the a/c to keep the room from over heating. The room for the most part was quite clean and our bed was always made/bins emptied upon our daily return. I did unfortunately find clipped nails all over the floor by our radiator, my partner spied mould all under the sink benches and the hot water wasn’t working 1 day of our stay, would not get any warmer then lukewarm making showering absolutely unbearable. Nevertheless the whole stay I reminded myself of the price and location. We also happened to eat at the Café located on level 1 rather then the French restaurant next door. The food was nice enough certainly nothing to rave about, just normal pub food and the waitress/bartender/cook was polite and attentive. As a side note there was an ironing board and an iron, but no hair dryer in the room, I’m sure though if you asked at the front desk they’d be able to provide you with one. Overall other then the hygiene problems and the cold shower I endured I enjoyed the stay, the bed was comfortable and clean and the room served its purpose.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ryjs_is
GMKingsgate, Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2015

Dear ryjs_is,

Thank you for your feedback and I’m sorry that your stay at the ibis Styles Kingsgate didn't meet your expectations.

I’m sorry that you felt the room was inadequately stocked with essential items. I apologies for the hassle of having to ask reception for these extra things, but right now because our new company took over this hotel, we already decided to put hairdryer in every single room in our hotel now, so it is much better now.

About the cleanness of the room, we are improving our quality of our hotel housekeeping, so we are doing much better than before.

Again, we are really sorry about your stay here before.

ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,389)

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I bought the standard double room, as I was just looking to stay one night, on the cheap.
It was okay, but everything is very old. The shower, toilet, even the bed head. It is a very small room, with some damage on the walls, but I didn't expect it to be luxurious either, for the price ($85).
The reception staff were not very efficient, and the man who served me didn't seem to know what he was doing. But they were friendly enough.
I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: If you're looking for something a bit nicer here, I would pay the extra $20 to book into their r...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear Heidi_L24,

Thank you so much for taking your time to leave your feedback according to your stay.

I’m sorry to hear that you thought that your room wasn't up to standard. Our refurbishment of 2010 has tried to retain the elegance of the 1926 building while also modernizing our rooms. To ensure you have the most up to date room type I would recommend booking one of our Superior rooms or asking reception whether a room change is available.

Again, we are sorry that your experience did not match your expectation.

Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I came to ibis thinking I got a deal being lucky enough to book early upon arriving I checked at approx 5pm my friend arrived and by 6:13pm we were out the door and we gone for the rest of the night when we returned at 1:15am I found my iPad was missing I rung concierge to discuss the matter and that had an inexperienced worker brand new working that couldn't help me but offered to move me rooms in which he did he then made a not of what happened in the morning I was spoke to the duty manager lam who spoke to me in a suspicious manner asking me questions not giving me the chance to answer either but Instead gave me very distressing information about the times the rooms were accessed she informed me that at 6:58 and 7:06pm the doors were opened and didn't have a record of us returning and asked how was I able to call concierge at 1:20 am to report tr iPad missing if I wasn't in the room also they had the room being accessed at at 2 am that morning when we were already asleep in the new room she told me she would review te survalance cameras I went out for the day and the new duty manager rung my room advising me that I needed to make a police report and that I would need to go to the police station which would be quicker as according to him there was only ONE policeman patrolling the Melbourne CBD once I rung the police to advise them they were there at the hotel within 20 mins in which he came down and told us he had been upstairs when he took us up he came down and gave the police the log report and advised them of the times WE accessed the room the police had viewed the text messages of my friend and confirmed and reminded Juan we weren't anywhere near the hotel the police then advised not to give them a hard time to just speak to the gm when returned back to Sydney upon leaving for the day I then spoke to Phillip another hotel manager who did want to speak about the matter but instead advised me that someone would contact me about the matter when the investgation was concluded he then blatantly ignored me and spoke to his colleague with aloud voice to ignore me whilst I was still expressing my frustration
Bottom line this hotel is budget with no safes in it to protect valuables and all staff and manager who are set to delegate whilst the gm is not there to resolve issues don't and didn't do anything to do so but instead were really suspicious I would say please read my story and steer clear from this establishment as they took not responsibility but passed everything to the absent gm and police and in return I received suspicious nervous condescending behavior please spend an extra $100 a night when it's too good to be true it's too good to be true good luck

• Stayed: July 2013
GMKingsgate, General Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Wingchunsifu79,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I do apologise that the incident was not handled to your liking. As discussed with you in our previous correspondence, your allegations are of a serious nature and there are protocols to be followed to ensure that all the information can be gathered and reviewed with the appropriate people. Unfortunately a resolution may take longer than you ideally would have preferred, but I trust the final outcome was to your satisfaction and we thank you for your patience whilst we completed our investigation.

The staff you engaged with were restricted to a degree by the protocols associated with your allegations and are not typically seen as unhelpful or lacking in service, I do apologise if that was how you were made to feel.

There are ample safety deposit boxes available through reception in the lobby, should you find yourself staying with us again in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback and your patience whilst we resolved your concerns.

Regards,

Rob Unson
ibis Styles Kingsgate

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed overnight for an event at Eithad Stadium - a very short minute walk through the train station to the gates. The room was clean and well presented. The air conditioning settings were part of the bedside table which was handy. Found a good rate on Expedia. I would recommend and stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear AusTraveller_881,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

As our new company took over this hotel one month ago, so everything is changing now. We are more than welcome to come back to our hotel to experience even better stuff.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Went in knowing what to expect - Average. Arrived at the hotel at 12:30AM and was told by my other half that there was a fire alarm which forced everyone to evacuate the hotel earlier that night. The decor of the hotel is a little extreme? It all looks heritage until you go up the floors - Lime green and black to line the hallways which look like an old hostel revamped. Staff were quite helpful and nice.

Advantages:
Location - Close to Southern Cross Stn

Disadvantages:
Fire Alarm - Evac 2 times in < 12 hours
Front door after hours malfunctioning - swipe cards not working
Heater intermittently working
No individual room hair driers - need to ask reception
No tissue boxes...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear eccentriq,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad you enjoyed our location and it's proximity to Southern Cross Station, it is something we hear quite regularly. Apologies that you found the decor not to your liking, we have tried to balance the heritage aspect of the building with the bright colours associated with 'ibis styles', the door colour is a match to the ibis styles green pillow and we understand it can be off putting to some.

In relation to the fire alarms it is unfortunate that you were here for both call outs, but I feel it is good to know that a heiritage building like ours is equipped with the necessary equipment and systems to insure the building will be standing in another 90years!

Thank you again for sharing, we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Rob Unson
ibis Styles Kingsgate

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

How disappointing our stay was ! I was mortified at the colour of the hall way... on first impressions bright green & black. The room felt like we were at a Backpackers , old , not clean and mouldy bathroom . The bed did have a quilt cover just a sheet . The shower head fell down and there was no hot water . We were told we would be upgraded which did not happen . Finally I forgot to take shampoo & conditioner so I used the provided shampoo ( only ) wow not sure what happen but you could snap my hair . No blow dryer in the room , we called up & were told to come collect it from reception . This was a package booked from a reputable travel agent . Extremely disappointed with our stay . By the way bring your ear plugs , the walls are paper thin and a night club is close by

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear kam555,

Thank you very much for leaving your comment according to your stay here in our hotel. Please allow me to express my sincerely apologizes about your experience did not match your exception.

I’m sorry to hear that you thought that your room wasn't up to standard. Our refurbishment of 2010 has tried to retain the elegance of the 1926 building while also modernizing our rooms. To ensure you have the most up to date room type I would recommend booking one of our Superior rooms or asking reception whether a room change is available because we took over this hotel and everything is better right now.

About the hairdryer, we already put hairdryer in every single room right now because of our new management team. And the shampoo is actually shampoo and conditioner 2 in 1. I could not really explain to your why your hair is like that but other guests they are fine with it.

The King St location of our hotel means we are sometimes troubled by noise from the famous nightclubs on this strip. We are working to address the noise issues which challenge our guests’ ability to have a peaceful stay in our hotel. Your feedback is helpful and it is something we can tangibly use in submissions to the Liquor Control Commission and Melbourne City Council as we work towards making the surroundings of the hotel quieter.

I once again thank you for your comments as it allows us to better improve our hotel for you and for our future guests.

ibis Styles Kingsgate General Manager

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Hotel was ok. Staff good. It was a in a good location. Didn't like the room very much. Like staying in a cell. One small window which didn't open and only looked out onto the centre of the building. It seemed a bit old and run down. Even the corridors resembled a prison! Grim decor. Probably quite good value as it was fairly cheap, but you get what you pay for. Rooms were fairly clean. I do get annoyed when they charge so much for their internet as well. You get a free half hour in reception every day, but pay outrageous charges for internet in the room.

Room Tip: Not sure they have a "good" room!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear cazza0906,

Thank you very much for leaving your feedback in our hotel.

I apologize that you found our hotel rooms too small. Our hotel encompasses a range of different room types and if availability allows we are happy to discuss the option of a room move with you so that we can find a bigger room which is more to your liking.

In the public area right now, we have unlimited wi-fi right now to allow the guest to access the wi-fi whenever they want. About the room we also have some other opinion right now which is way much cheaper than the original ones.

Again, I appreciate you sharing your concerns and I hope that you will give the ibis Styles Kingsgate the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

ibis Styles Kingsgate General Manager