“Honest Review”

ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel
Ranked #133 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Not impressed at all! At $110/night I would certainly expect more than a dingy, unclean room. No basin plugs, stained yellow toilet bowl, dirty walls, ceilings & floors, but wait, close the sliding toilet door and it seems it has not been cleaned for weeks. Had to sit the kettle on the hand basin to boil, very unstable and a huge OH&S issue. Stained doona which had no doona cover but was placed between two sheets. No extra's such as pillows, blankets, face washers, hair dryer, tissues, iron. Shower rose leaking, spraying water over your face constantly, and not adjustable. Very small, dark & dingy room. We have stayed in better accommodation at cheaper rates. would never recommend this Hotel. Only positive was it was fairly close to City. Certainly a 'no frills' hotel, but you pay extra for all the noise both inside and outside the accommodation.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
GMKingsgate, General Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Lyn,

Thank you for your feedback and I’m sorry that your stay at the ibis Styles Kingsgate didn’t meet your expectations.

I’m sorry to hear that you thought that your room wasn’t up to standard. Our refurbishment of 2010 has tried to retain the elegance of the 1926 building while also modernising our rooms. I apologise about the cleanliness of you room and that you were missing some standard stocked items. This is an issue that I have brought up with our house-keeping manager and is being addressed to prevent problems for guests – if you are dissatisfied please alert reception and we will try to find a room more to your liking.

I appreciate you sharing your concerns and I hope that you will give the ibis Styles Kingsgate the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

ibis Styles Kingsgate General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,391)

Reviewed March 3, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 2, 2013

The motel was suppose to be smoke free,but our room smelled strongly of smoke. The air conditioner did not work, we were moved to a room on the sixth floor that did not smell of smoke thankfully and had a working air conditioner. We found both rooms extremely noisy at night being on the front of the motel. We booked for 3 nights and had to leave after 2 because of changed circumstances, but because in was booked online for an apparently special price and paid in full as required online, no refund was possible. The best part of our stay was the breakfast, and one staff member was very helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear traveller,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the ibis Styles Kingsgate. We’re disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with your time with us.

I am glad we were able to change your room for you to find one that had a working air-con and did not smell like smoke. We have addressed these problems and please know ours is a non-smoking hotel. I apologise that you couldn’t receive any refund for leaving you booking early but unfortunately online bookings varying in the restrictions associated with them, quite often you will have access to a reduced rate on a booking but will not be able to change or cancel the booking without incurring fees.

Thanks again for the feedback and I hope that if we do welcome you back to our hotel that we are able to provide a more enjoyable stay.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Three of us stayed for two nights. Great location despite being in the night club area, it was very convenient for walking to Southern Cross train station, Docklands football stadium, casino, and city centre. Trams are also very close by (tip: take the free city circle tram for a good look around the city area)

First impression of the room was that is was old and dated. I got the feeling that some rooms in this hotel have been renovated but we did not get one of them. The size was ok. A double bed plus one single bed. they were ok for sleeping. Nowhere to sit except on the bed so we asked for some chairs to be bought in. Someone delivered them within 20 mins. The bathroon was very old and quite small. Nowhere to hang towels or put your nic-nacs (the shelf provided was falling off the wall so could not put anything on it). The shower could have been cleaner.

Our room was on the first floor in the back of the hotel, did not really hear any noise from King St during the night, I guess the noisy air-con drowned out any outside noise. When I walked around our floor It was a bit of a rabbit-warren to get to some rooms.

I would say the price is too high for what we got. Maybe a renovated room would've been better. We thought about asking for a room change but thought we might get someting worse, we were not in the hotel much so we let it go. But if I ever stay there again (doubtful) I would ask for a room change.

Room Tip: Try to get a renovated room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WannabeHermit

Dear traveller,

Thank you for your feedback and I’m sorry that your stay at the ibis Styles Kingsgate didn’t meet all of your expectations.

I’m sorry to hear that you thought that your room was dated and that it wasn’t up to standard. Our refurbishment of 2010 has tried to retain the elegance of the 1926 building while also modernising our rooms. To ensure you have the most up to date room type I would recommend booking one of our Superior rooms in future. We would have happily offered you a room change if you expressed your dissatisfaction to us and our availability allowed us to make the switch.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Booked this hotel as we are Accor Advantage Plus members and got a good rate including breakfast. King St location put us off a bit but we thought OK why not. Had to park the car at Southern Cross- 7 min walk! Room was like a cell, very small and quite dirty and dusty. Faced stairs and machinery which was very npoisy plus the nightclub noises at night did not help. Ensuite very small and shower was dirty. Had the included breakfast but could not eat it which is saying something as we normally love hotel cooked breakfasts. This hotel would be OK for a few girls having a shopping weekend but for us it was not suitable. We were surprised and dissappointed that Accor would have a hotel like this on their books as any other Accor hotel we have stayed at has been great.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMKingsgate, General Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear traveller,

I apologise that you found our hotel rooms too small. Our hotel encompasses a range of different room types and if availability allows we are happy to discuss the option of a room move with you so that we can find a bigger room which is more to your liking.

The King St location of our hotel means we are sometimes troubled by noise from the famous nightclubs on this strip. I apologise for this and please know we are working to address the noise issues which challenge our guests’ ability to have a peaceful stay in our hotel.

Please note that there are many options within the Accor Portfolio and while ibis Styles may not have been for you there are still many other options within Accor for you to be satisfied with.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Our travel agent booked this hotel for us as I needed a Disabled room on our Trip of a Lifetime. Yes it has a Disabled room, with a very large wet room. Unfortunately the bedroom was on the 2nd floor, with lift access..... This is after I can climbed the 10 stone steps to the reception area. The Disabled room is right next to the fire escape! With many steps to descend in an emergency. The windows to the room are frosted and very dirty, with blinds to keep the lights of the emergency exit out of the room at night.... No blind in the wet room.

Our room was not serviced for two days of our three day stay , on a positive note the cooked breakfast was good and set us up for the day..... Away from the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PhylH250

Dear Anthony,

We’re sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your recent stay at the ibis Styles Kingsgate. We hope that your feedback can help us to improve our hotel services.

I am sorry that you feel our all-access hotel room didn’t serve you well. We do have a lift for access to the different hotel floors but due to heritage restrictions we are unable to amend the entrance, we have also looked into securing a ramp to assist but the steepness of the steps is such that it would result in a further hazard. Reception staff are on call to assist guests with the steps at the front of the hotel, they just need to be asked. In the event of an emergency our staff will do all that we can to assist guests in using the fire escape and our priority is for anyone with a disability.

I apologise you found your room’s windows’ dirty and that the blinds were not sufficient; we will look into fixing both of these things to make our rooms better.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I booked this hotel thinking it was your typical Ibis, but it was actually a semi refurbished older hotel. The original room that I had booked was the smallest and dingiest room that I had ever seen. On several floors, there were even old mattresses sitting in the hallways.
They bumped me up two room grades for free and the room they offered me was decent. Much better than the first one; I could turn around without feeling as though I would knock a wall down.

The bed was reasonably comfortable, however the pillows were horribly flat and aggravated my rather bad neck. The "coffee maker" was just a jug that took 10 minuted to boil.

The shower and toilet was fine and the room was nice and clean.

If you want a cheap hotel with no frills that is close to transport, then this will do you fine.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business