“Great Value for the money.”

ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel
Ranked #134 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane
“Great Value for the money.”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I had fairly low expectations of this hotel for the price I was paying, and found my stay above expectations. The room was warm and clean, bed comfortable and shower/toilet fine. While the room could have been cleaned a bit better (there was toilet paper covering the smoke detector and airline luggage tags stuck to a column in the middle of the wall), it was quite (I was in the back part of the hotel)

Breakfast was included and fine, with a nice basic selection, I found the staff at checkin to be courteous, efficient and helpful, with prompt service when leaving a bag as well as picking it up. The hotel is very handy to public transport including the skybus. I stayed mid week and was very happy overall.

Room Tip: Book online at the hotels website for free breakfast.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Our stay was ok, staff (reception) weren't very friendly and helpful, Max who worked in restaurant (level 1) was great!. This type of accomodation i would classify as no frills, for example no biscuits with tea & coffee, no mini bar ( which is probably good anyway), no inhouse movies which would've been nice. Also there was no directory on phone to ring reception (Room 435). The room was slightly dusty, also location of room was loud ie banging of doors, humming of an A/C i think, it doesn't make for a good night's sleep!. We could hear outside noises (we might've been next to a laneway of some sort, noisy especially on the weekend! Continental breakfast could've included pastries just to add some variety but was ok.
I have to say Shampoo smells horrible ( cheap dishwashing liquid smell! ).Location was OK. Overall personally i wouldn't pay anymore than the rate we paid.

Yours sincerely
Fabrice Gautier

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
KingsgateHM, General Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Fabrice,
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the All Seasons Kingsgate Hotel. We’re disappointed to hear that there were parts of your stay that left you unhappy.

We are a three star hotel and we aim to provide the essential services and amenities our guests need and we’re sorry if you felt this was a bit basic for you. I apologise for any problems that you had with our reception staff; we employ friendly, diligent and helpful people but there are some occasions when the hotel is busy where service can be slow and below average. This doesn’t happen often and I’m very sorry. I also apologise for the noise issues you had; we are working at ways to reduce both the external and internal noise at the hotel that can disturb our guests in the evenings.

I appreciate you sharing your concerns, and I hope that you will give the All Seasons Kingsgate Hotel the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
All Seasons Kingsgate General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Best thing about this hotel was walking out the door. Room was revolting, no shower pressure (my pet hate). Noise from street relentless. Done a bit of plastering in my time and was pretty sure a dodgy repair job on what appeared to be bullet holes. Bed rock hard and i could hear the dude next door clipping his toe nails. Look if your on a tight tight budget for 1 night maybe ok but bring a Valium (maybe 4) and some ear plugs.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
KingsgateHM, General Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear traveller,
We’re sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your recent stay at the All Seasons Kingsgate Hotel. We hope that your feedback can help us to improve our hotel services.

I’m sorry to hear that you thought your room wasn’t up to standard. Our refurbishment of 2010 has tried to retain the elegance of the 1926 building while also modernising our rooms. To ensure you have the most up to date room type I would recommend booking one of our Superior rooms or asking reception whether a room change is available. I apologise for the holes that were plastered in your room and I can assure you they were not bullet holes.

I also apologise for the extra noise from within the hotel and outside of the building. We do our best to keep hotel noise to a minimum but appreciate that this can sometimes affect guests’ stays.

Thanks again for the feedback and I hope that if we do welcome you back to our hotel that we are able to provide a more enjoyable stay.
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed for one night in order to caught an early flight.

Reception wasn't very friendly when I arrived - didn't offer any information about the area or room. You got the impression from them that they didn't enjoy or like their job. Not very approachable.
The room was small, bed very uncomfortable (you could feel the mattress springs), heater didn't work. From my check in experience - I couldn't be bothered calling Reception and ask about getting the heater fixed or requesting a room move. Only good thing about this room was the size of the bathroom!
I had a continental breakfast included with the rate however when I arrived at the breakfast room which was only half full but the spare tables still had dirty dishes and there was no staff anywhere to be found to assist.
Approached Reception for a map of the area ( I was going shopping) and Reception again didn't provide any additional information and when I asked for directions, Reception was hopeless.
Even trying to check out was hard work. Your receptionist was standing to the side of the desk talking to her friend. After a 5 minute of waiting I finally got to check out and pay my account.
I don't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear traveller,
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the All Seasons Kingsgate Hotel. We’re disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with your time with us.

I apologise for any problems that you had with our staff at the hotel. We pride ourselves on our staff being friendly, diligent and helpful but there are some occasions when the hotel is busy where service can be slow and below average. This doesn’t happen often and I’m very sorry; we have made a note of your comments and will address them with staff at our next front office meeting.

I’m also sorry that you found our hotel rooms too small and uncomfortable. Our hotel does encompass a range of different room types and if availability allows our staff are always happy to discuss the option of a room move with you so that we can find a bigger room which is more to your liking.

Morwell
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was a very old building. Rooms have been updated. Plenty of room good set up low outside noise levels. Great location for night club football and shopping. Free/parking at Casio short walk to Southern Cross railway station and airport bus transfer centre

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
KingsgateHM, General Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear traveller,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the All Seasons Kingsgate Hotel, we’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us!

Your review touched on some of the key points of why we are such a great accommodation choice. We undertook a refurbishment in 2010 to modernise our rooms and make them more comfortable for our guests so I’m glad you found them to your liking. Location is also a key factor for any hotel and we believe we are ideally situated close to shopping strips, transport hubs, sports venues, restaurants and nightclubs.

We’re already looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel, thanks again for the positive review.