“My stay at Ibis”

ibis Melbourne Hotel and Apartments
Ranked #69 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New Zealand
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Because of last minute airport fog I had to alter pre-booked Expedia (nice people) dates which necessitated changing from an Ibis standard room to an apartment, the only other other area in the hotel available. I paid triple more - the Ibis called it an Upgrading. I had stayed at this Ibis (Therry Street) a couple of years ago and up until last week I drove folk mad talking about the magnificent huge shower box in a standard room..
However this shower had a curtain not a door, and the running water flooded the bathroom area so I would have had to either wear wellington boots to get to the sink or the loo, or make sure I 'sink-ed' and 'loo-ed' before and not after my shower.
The apartment was terrible. I could take looking at a concrete wall a couple of feet from the window - we were cheek-by-jowl in the city, after all - but the blind had to be lowered three-quarters so as people in opposite windows couldnt see in, and the overhead lighting was extremely poor. I could hardly see in kitchen area, and the brightest room to eat in would have been the bathroom if I fancied eating my meal sitting on the loo, a loo which was so high my feet didn't touch the floor. Oh, and when I asked a receptionist for a pamphlet on The Grampians,, she burrowed in cabinet and handed me said pamphlet. What, no racks of pamphlets? I had no idea what other tourist activity was out there. The Queen Victoria Market closing time was different from the hotel flyer given on arrival.
No full-length mirror. Clock wasnt altered from daylight saving the 6 days I was there (yes, I'm a klutz at altering radio/clocks!).. The tv in the sitting area and the tv in the bedroom didn't run the same channels. And ... on my last morning I suddenly thought, "...this is an apartment for disabled folk!" Poor disabled folk, having to put up with an apartment that though functional for them is very reminiscent of a 1960's motel unit compared to the rest of hotel.. I think the price should have been downgraded from the standard room, not upgraded!
I quite liked the i-bistro downstairs. The breakfast pancake machine was wonderful. Is this how top chefs make pancakes "out back" where we can't see what they're doing?

Room Tip: take a standard room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Pixiehat
Giovani S, Manager at ibis Melbourne Hotel and Apartments, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay, Pixiehat. I am glad to read about your positive experience at the I bistro.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience in greater detail. Would you be able to contact me at a time that is convenient for you? My contact phone number is +61 3 9666 0000 or email is h1564-gm01@accor.com.

I look forward to hear from you and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to accommodate you again and provide you with a much more pleasant experience.

Tim Gibson
Hotel Manager
Email: h1564-gm01@accor.com
HORLEY, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Have stayed here before but a lot of nearby duildings have been demolished and building work is taking place.However,we were only woken once at 7.20am during our weeks stay although work appears to start at about 7.0am.The hotel is in a very good location for Victoria Market and a short walk to the main shopping area and station.Have always been disappointed with the bar and restaurant which is below ground level with no ambiance.Only visited once and the food was not appealing with the crutons appearing to be crusts of bread!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Giovani S, Manager at ibis Melbourne Hotel and Apartments, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Kenneth P,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the ibis Melbourne. I do apologise for the inconvenience caused with the construction next to the Hotel and impact your stay with us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and we are working closely with the construction company to minimise the noise and disruption.

The comments you made regarding your stay with us are most appreciated. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from guests who have enjoyed their stay here at the Ibis Melbourne.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Had a one night stay here 9th April 2014. The staff are very friendly and very helpful. Room was clean and comfortable. Had dinner and breakfast at the iBistro downstairs. Our breakfast was included in the room price, we had booked and prepaid online so no charges were added during our stay, and we paid cash for dinner. Both meals were excellent and good value. Great range of food at smorgasbord breakfast. So close to the market too. Would definitely recommend. Why only 4 stars - would have loved an indoor swim at the end of the day!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jan P
Giovani S, Manager at ibis Melbourne Hotel and Apartments, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Jan P,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and taking the time to post your feedback. It is pleasing to read that you had comfortable and enjoyable experience with us.

The comments you made regarding your stay with us are most appreciated. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from guests who have enjoyed their stay here at the ibis Melbourne.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at the ibis on Therry St multiple times in the last couple of years. Service has been great and staff are always helpful.

The rooms have been clean and comfortable and in working order each time. The quality of sleep is also good with no out of building noise filtering in.

The location is great, close to Queen Vic markets and transport. Very easy to get around from here.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Peter C
Dear Peter C,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the ibis Melbourne. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have shared your feedback with the team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

We do appreciate your continued loyalty and very much look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Melbourne in the near future.

Wangaratta, Australia
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Watch the reservation invoice at IBIS, it makes you think buffet breakfast is included and when we questioned it had to pay an extra $20 per person.

Also don't park in their underground carpark, it's so tight I scrapped the side of my car trying to get out and they didn't care

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Judy E
Giovani S, Manager at ibis Melbourne Hotel and Apartments, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Judy E,

I would like to apologise for the issue you experienced with the carparking. I understand that the car park can be challenging to enter and exit if you have a large vehicle. The next time you park, please let our team know and we are more than happy to assist in guiding you in.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 6, 2014

An excellent hotel in a great location close to Victoria Markets and the various tram lines. Queen room was a good size with basic facilities for tea and coffee etc. Great comfortable bed and the staff were always very friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David S
Giovani S, Manager at ibis Melbourne Hotel and Apartments, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear David S,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at the ibis Melbourne on Trip Advisor. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the team friendly and helpful.

I have shared your positive feedback with the team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.