“Ist choice for friends visiting.”

Grand Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #23 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Ist choice for friends visiting.”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Being a resident of the most liveable city in Australia we often have friends visiting. Time and again we have put them up here and each and every stay has been what was hoped for. Central to CBD shopping, fine dining and easy for us to get in to catch up.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear CPA
It is great to hear your friends enjoyed their stay with us and that you all took advantage of our central location. We thank you for your recommendations and hope your guests continue to enjoy there Melbourne experience with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My son and I stayed the one night last week and enjoyed our stay. In particular, the beds were fantastic, best sleep I've had in a long time.

The hotel is so well located at the top end of Collins Street so every thing is in walking distance and/or tram stop 2 minutes away.

Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Join the Hyatt Club. We had 2 singles in the one room and we still had sufficient space to move arou...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ian
It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our central location. We look forward to your next visit.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was my go to hotel in Melbourne for some years. However it then became very shabby and I just had too many complaints for what was a 5 star property. As it was about to have a major refurb I decided to leave it alone for a few years until both the rooms and also the public areas had been completed. They are well and truly finished and I must say they look terrific ( except the veneer that is chipping off badly on the outside of the room doors ) However it is amazing how the little things ruin everything. When I checked into my room I thought it was lovely however the bath was covered in black dust. Everytime I got into the room card activated lift my card did not work. This meant I had to continually go down to the front desk and get access to both the lift and my room. Luckily I only stayed one night so this was only 3 times but very frustrating. The hotel is lovely and perfectly located but !!. I am going back towards the end of the month so will give the hotel another go. Stay tuned and I will give you an update.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I would often walk past here on our way to our favourite restaurant PM24, and think how cosy it looked. We decided to stay for a night, and thoroughly enjoyed our time here!
The staff were friendly and very helpful, and the room was clean and well set-up, and gave a magnificent view if the city.
I would recommend this for anyone visiting the city for a romantic get-away.

• Stayed August 2012
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Taziara7
Thank you for your positive review. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you in advance for your recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The hotel is dated so it should go above and beyond to lift value which it doesn't.
During my stay Liverpool were playing in Melbourne rates were elevated to say the least!
Staff however were very courteous. It is central and easy to access.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Sherlock,
We are very fortunate to have wonderful staff members that go above and beyond to make our guests feel at home.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The checkin - handling for my room was impeccable and the lady handling it was professional and presented a genuine attitude of a customer service priority.

The room - sizable enough however generally found it unsatisfactory. Being apparently business travel catering hotel was amazed at the price of Internet on top of an already high room charge. There is no convenient power supply to the room table leaving a laptop cable hanging across the room is not great and generally the room is not laid out for working from the room comfortably. The chair was uncomfortable, table with rounded edges is not good to work at etc.
The television was small, watching a foreign film from the bed and I was struggling to read the captions - I have 20/20 vision.

Cleanliness was okay, but the room feels as tired as the dust that settled between the keys of the phone.

Being in the room didn't feel like a pleasurable experience, certainly didn't feel 5star, also it was a rather noisy early in the morning - although it was children screaming in the room above me that was the problem. I suspect there is not much the hotel can do about that... unless they were screaming about the room quality! :)

Customer service hit a fail on otherwise great service, when leaving the hotel this morning to go out and I find there is no room supplied umbrella. Approaching reception I see they are busy so try downstairs concierge. They have none suggest I try upstairs, upstairs I wait... Nope, try downstairs. I'm sure that's not 5 star service bouncing your customer upstairs/downstairs. A bit of coordination/communication between the two desks is in order.

Location - Excellent.

I would avoid staying here until renovations have taken place or insist on a good room my schedule was busy and it was a short stay so I did not pursue the option.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently refurbished room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank D_DAV
Dear, D_Dav,
We are terribly sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would highly recommend our Grand Suite King with separate living area equipped with desk (and umbrella). This suite comes with exclusive access to our Grand Club lounge offering deluxe continental breakfast, all day refreshments and evening drinks with canapes.
We hope to have the chance to change your opinion and leave a lasting positive impression after your next stay with us.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 27, 2013

What a great hotel! I mentioned it was my birthday and they gave me a complimentary bottle of wine and later check out. The service was wonderful and prompt. The room was beautiful and clean, I really have nothing to complain, it was wonderful value with a wotif mystery deal. The bed was sooo comfy too. I will be back soon and next time I will try the breakfast because the restaurants looked so inviting. I can't comment on the facilities unfortunately I forgot to bring my bathers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lucienne,

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your birthday stay with us. Our staff do a fantastic job of looking after those who are celebrating special occasions insuring you have a memorable night. We look forward to your next visit and highly suggest you do stop by Collins Kitchen for a delicious meal.