WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #20 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne
“Great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I would often walk past here on our way to our favourite restaurant PM24, and think how cosy it looked. We decided to stay for a night, and thoroughly enjoyed our time here!
The staff were friendly and very helpful, and the room was clean and well set-up, and gave a magnificent view if the city.
I would recommend this for anyone visiting the city for a romantic get-away.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Taziara7
Thank you for your positive review. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you in advance for your recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

The hotel is dated so it should go above and beyond to lift value which it doesn't.
During my stay Liverpool were playing in Melbourne rates were elevated to say the least!
Staff however were very courteous. It is central and easy to access.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Sherlock,
We are very fortunate to have wonderful staff members that go above and beyond to make our guests feel at home.
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

The checkin - handling for my room was impeccable and the lady handling it was professional and presented a genuine attitude of a customer service priority.

The room - sizable enough however generally found it unsatisfactory. Being apparently business travel catering hotel was amazed at the price of Internet on top of an already high room charge. There is no convenient power supply to the room table leaving a laptop cable hanging across the room is not great and generally the room is not laid out for working from the room comfortably. The chair was uncomfortable, table with rounded edges is not good to work at etc.
The television was small, watching a foreign film from the bed and I was struggling to read the captions - I have 20/20 vision.

Cleanliness was okay, but the room feels as tired as the dust that settled between the keys of the phone.

Being in the room didn't feel like a pleasurable experience, certainly didn't feel 5star, also it was a rather noisy early in the morning - although it was children screaming in the room above me that was the problem. I suspect there is not much the hotel can do about that... unless they were screaming about the room quality! :)

Customer service hit a fail on otherwise great service, when leaving the hotel this morning to go out and I find there is no room supplied umbrella. Approaching reception I see they are busy so try downstairs concierge. They have none suggest I try upstairs, upstairs I wait... Nope, try downstairs. I'm sure that's not 5 star service bouncing your customer upstairs/downstairs. A bit of coordination/communication between the two desks is in order.

Location - Excellent.

I would avoid staying here until renovations have taken place or insist on a good room my schedule was busy and it was a short stay so I did not pursue the option.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently refurbished room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Daniel D
Dear, D_Dav,
We are terribly sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would highly recommend our Grand Suite King with separate living area equipped with desk (and umbrella). This suite comes with exclusive access to our Grand Club lounge offering deluxe continental breakfast, all day refreshments and evening drinks with canapes.
We hope to have the chance to change your opinion and leave a lasting positive impression after your next stay with us.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

What a great hotel! I mentioned it was my birthday and they gave me a complimentary bottle of wine and later check out. The service was wonderful and prompt. The room was beautiful and clean, I really have nothing to complain, it was wonderful value with a wotif mystery deal. The bed was sooo comfy too. I will be back soon and next time I will try the breakfast because the restaurants looked so inviting. I can't comment on the facilities unfortunately I forgot to bring my bathers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Lucienne,

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your birthday stay with us. Our staff do a fantastic job of looking after those who are celebrating special occasions insuring you have a memorable night. We look forward to your next visit and highly suggest you do stop by Collins Kitchen for a delicious meal.
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I fly to Australia once a year at least to visit my family and this usually necessitates a stopover in Melbourne (thanks to Qatar Airways schedules and the Sydney Airport curfew).

With one exception, I usually stay at the Grand Hyatt Melbourne as it's one of my favorite city hotels. It's right on Collins Street, near the shopping action and a short walk or taxi ride to the cultural attractions like the theater, sporting venues and galleries.

This stop was its usual well oiled machine. I arrived around 1030pm and check-in was smooth and friendly. The hotel has recently had a revamp and my room was compact with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the city.

The bed was the usual Hyatt comfy standard and the black out curtains staved off jet lag. the room I had been given was one of Hyatt's "Women Friendly" rooms and was near the elevators and had extra amenities. And here comes my three (minor) gripes.

My room, while near the lift, was also directly opposite the housekeeping store. Which was incredibly noisy, especially early morning and late afternoon. Thankfully I could escape to the Grand Club, but didn't make for a relaxing lie in.

In terms of noise, in my room in particular, if the guests in the neighboring room were having shower or bath, the hot water system would make quite a loud noise that could be heard in my room. At least, that's what I deduced the noise to be, given the timing.

Finally, all Club Rooms are fitted with Nespresso Machines. Great in theory - if you are given coffee to use in them...I discovered this on my last day, so no damage caused, but still slightly annoying.

As I said, minor problems.

The standout for this hotel for me, besides location, is the Grand Club, which has spectacular views over the city. On my first morning the staff were perhaps rushed by the heavy flow of guests and were not as attentive as usual.

But the evening staff, more than made up for this. They were chatty, warm and friendly and helped with a change of reservation for the next leg of my trip. The hot and cold canape selection was the perfect start to the evening the the wines a nice selection of local and international wines.

Still one of my favorite hotels and as always delivered on service and quality!

Room Tip: Make sure your room is away from the hosuekeeping storage area to avoid the noise
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear rachelannmorris,

We are sorry to hear you faced a few hiccups during your stay with us. Management has been notified if this as we would hate to lose our position as one of your favourite Melbourne hotels. Please let us know via our Facebook page when you return and we can insure you have a quiet room and fully stocked coffee ready and waiting.
We look forward to hearing of your return date.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Ive stayed here for work a few times and have always though it was a great, central option for business travel. When I checked in last week I was advised that as I had been identified as a solo female traveller they were putting me on a particular dedicated floor. There were specific extra amenities in the room, as well as the safety and peace ofmid of bing on the floor with similar circumstances. I believe this is just a trial at this stage, but I was very impressed.
Additionally, breakfast buffet was faultless as always, as was my room service evening meals. First class service and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jess D
Dear Jess,
We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We are within the trial stages of the female traveller program and feedback like yours is greatly appreciated. We are constantly looking for innovative ways to insure our guests have a memorable experience with us. Having your recommendation is an outcome we greatly appreciate.
Rosebud, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Today I attended my 3rd, yearly , High tea at the Hyatt to raise money for Breast Cancer Research. National Breast Cancer Foundation
Arriving a few hours before the event commenced with the head of the committee , I was amazed at the seamless efficiency of the staff. The food was divine and plentiful. The staff appeared from the shadows, fill tea cups or replenishing champagne. What? Did some one say Champers?
The stage set up, the sound set up was amazing. Dear Mr Hyatt , hang on to these guys, they do your business proud. Nothing was to much trouble . The chefs deserve a pat on the back, however I must say that I felt a bit queasy after my 8 th dessert lol. A group of us are coming back for happy hour, we saw this on the way out, looked great. Well done to all of you, from the front desk to the back of house. Thanx for a great day. P.S the pensioner did not do so well at home for dinner.mmmm might start the diet tomorrow,only one month until I drag him to Europe ...stay tuned.
Kate

Room Tip: Sorry, I was not lucky enough to stay the night this time.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kateandthepensioner
Dear Kate,
Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We have shared this with our staff members who are thrilled to hear you enjoyed the event. Mr Hyatt has been notified of your recommendation and agrees that his staff are defiantly worth holding on to.
We look forward to seeing you in ru-co enjoying our Happy Hour specials ($10 cocktails are a must!)