“helpful, friendly service, lovely views”

Grand Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #23 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed May 13, 2013

stayed here on Saturday night with my adult daughter in a grand view twin room. Lovely views and no-one to look in, which was great. Very quick and friendly service - even a box of chocolates and personal card for my daughter as we were celebrating her birthday. Comfortable bed/pillows and room in general. Really nice bathroom with a big bath (seems quite rare these days) and separate shower. Only points I could find to improve would be to provide toiletries for 2 (not one) if two adults are booked into a twin room and a few more tea bags/milk and sugar would be a good idea. Yes, a phone call to reception fixed these things up very quickly, but would be better if they were already there. Still, minor things all in all, and we had a great stay. Will be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Jen010
Thank you for your feedback and what a fabulous way to celebrate your daughter’s birthday. There’s nothing better than marvelling at the city views at dusk. We are always happy to hear of ways to improve our service, and wouldn’t want anyone to miss out on our range of amenities – as that is undoubtedly one of the highlights of staying in a hotel.
We hope your daughter enjoyed herself and you both return to stay for many more celebrations.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,476)

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had a lovely time at the Grand Hyatt in Melbourne. Lovely, well appointed rooms and excellent service from the staff. It was SO quiet in the hotel and I had one of the best sleeps I have ever had (which I find difficult when travelling). The concierge was great with all of the kids/luggage/car seats etc needed for the trip and gave us a few great tips (the Melbourne Zoo is fabulous). The gym is AMAZING (I think it also has paying members, so has everything you could want) and the pool, whilst smallish (you wouldn't do laps in it) was great for the kids to splash about in. My favourite part though was the food (both room service and in the hotel). It was simply exceptional and one of the best meals we had in Melbourne (a 'foodie' town). Really big serves as well, so we could all share a few mains. If I ever had the chance to return to Melbourne, i would be hard pressed to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear HB13
We are glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us. It sounds like you really explored the city with many adventures to be had. The Zoo would have been such fun for the kids.
Happy to hear you liked our gourmet offerings as well. Collins Kitchen is definitely a treat with the open market style dining.
We look forward to your return on your next visit to Melbourne.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed at the grand hyatt in January I'm writing a review now because I didn't get no reply from hotel regarding my complaint that I emailed ,
I arrived on the 4 th January as I booked because I had a best friends wedding in the hotel .
At check in the service was very slow , I was ignored twice and somebody else got served instead .anyway got out room pass then went straight to our room ! Walk in to find the room wasn't made dirty , beds were not done , went back downstairs complained then they gave me another room went back up to find key to enter my room wasn't working so by the time I had to go back down that's 11/2 wasted and I had a wedding to prepare for ,
things were sorted but they had us right next to the maids room and we couldn't sleep or have complete privacy as we feared them hearing us . the same day key wasn't working again NOT HAPPY it happen 6 times during our stay .
the buffet breakfast was good .
I was given a voucher for $50 in my stay but that wasn't enough compensation comparing to all the trouble I went through . Ive never complaint about other hotel stays but this hotel just wasn't up to scratch the staff were very rude . I would rather spend that money at the langham or crown !

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank foofoo78

Dear foofoo78
Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your stay with us earlier this year. It’s really disheartening to hear that on what should have been a fuss-free and enjoyable stay was spoiled by a comedy of errors. The poor state of the room, the repeating issues experienced with the keys not working and obviously the fact that it was such a special day is not acceptable. We sincerely apologise for all these shortcomings and hope that despite this, the wedding you attended was fabulous.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I spent a week in Melbourne for business meetings and took my wife along for the trip. Stayed in the View King room that gave us a great view of Port Melbourne and the bay beyond it. Rooms are good sized, clean and well lit. Collins Kitchen, the only restaurant offers good choice and the food is good, but when you are in downtown Melbourne, you want to be walking around and trying out the excellent restaurants and bars around. We used the concierge service to book theater tickets and find out about tours and were happy with the service, in fact the concierge helped us get great tickets. What was disappointing was room service and bell service. Took half an hour to get our bags up to the room, and ordering meals to the rooms were a long ordeal. Rooms were noisy if someone next door were using the bathroom or ruffling clothes in the closet. Some issues that you can look away from and enjoy the good location & ambiance.

Room Tip: Select View King - it gives a great view of the bay and is on the upper levels.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Raj D

Dear Raj D,
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you were able to take advantage of our central location with help from our fantastic concierge. There’s nothing like a few local tips to really make a difference to your experience in a city. We are sorry however that you had difficulties with bell service and room service during your stay with us, and assure you it’s not indicative of our commitment to excellent service.
We hope you choose to stay with us again and allow us to rectify these shortcomings.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

My husband and I spent last weekend at the Grand Hyatt . We went to a matinee show and then dinner , bed and breakfast at the Hyatt. We had a lovely time. A beautiful corner room on the 22nd floor, dinner and breakfast in Collins Kitchen. We left the curtains open at night and awoke to the sight of seven hot air balloons ...just beautiful.The staff were wonderful from checkin to checkout. The room was classy, the bed was a dream, we will be back. Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chesterella

Dear Chesterella
It sounds like you had a wonderful night in the city and we are thrilled we could contribute to your positive experience. Both dinner and breakfast in Collins Kitchen is a treat in its self. We hope you return to stay with us next time you venture into the city.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed with the Melbourne Grand Hyatt for almost 2 weeks while working in Melbourne. My husband organised a few surprises through concierge to make the trip a little easier and the Hyatt made me feel looked after! Great People!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank kiwiklan

Dear kiwiklan

We are glad you enjoyed your two weeks with us here in Melbourne. How lucky are you to have such a wonderful husband to work with our concierge and organise surprises throughout your stay. We are glad you felt well looked after and shall share the credit with your husband for making your time with us that much more enjoyable!

Reviewed May 9, 2013

My stay with the Hyatt has always been 10/10. Always a warm welcome and great service. It has a lovely cafe/restaurant which offers a nice menu and the same with room service. We had a corner room. The bed was amazing Never wanted to leave! Situated in a handy spot to the main shopping areas, restaurants and others attractions. Would recommend a thousand times over.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Fluke101

Dear Fluke101
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We do have fantastic staff that go that extra mile and are pleased to hear you received a warm welcome. We hope you took advantage of our central location and explored Melbourne whilst staying with us.
We look forward to your return.