“One of the better hotels in Melbourne”

Grand Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #23 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“One of the better hotels in Melbourne”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Great location and well presented hotel. Just lacking a little in atmosphere though. Particularly the bars and restaurants, that can be a bit hard to warm to, because they lack any real feel or theme. Something that Crown Towers captures very well.

Room Tip: Club lounge is worth the addtional fee.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear blueferrari,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Grand Hyatt Melbourne is in a great location, for shopping and theatres, bars and restaurants – everything is just a short stroll away. We appreciate your feedback regarding the warmth and feel of our restaurant and bar – we have raised your experience with our Food and Beverage management team for review. We hope that you choose to stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

This newly renovated hotel is modern and sophisticated, but it's not cheap. If your willing to shell out some dollars then your in for a treat. We stayed in a grand club room which had access to the club lounge. The room was a good size with a spectacular view over melbournes CBD. But it was the sevice that topped it off. From the front desk, to the restaurant, to the room service the staff are professional, polite and never far away. Overall it was a near perfect experience.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Mbburfield,
We would have to agree, spending a little extra to upgrade to one of our Club rooms is absolutely worth it! The view from the top floors of the hotel is simply jaw dropping, with the city spread out below your feet. And what could be better than the luxury of the Grand Club lounge to relax in, perhaps with a freshly made cup of coffee after a hard day shopping, or start your evening off with a pre-dinner drink and a sumptuous array of canapés – all included as part of your Grand Club access! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2012

A modern hotel in a good location, good size well equipped room (apart from the lack of a luggage rack) with double aspect window, good facilities and helpful staff.
The only slight let down was breakfast - there were frequently queues to actually get into the dining room and, once there, the buffet layout just didn't seem to flow. This lead to guests taking haphazard paths to the various zones making the place seem even busier.
Room service was good value and was promptly delivered on a trolley which had an insulated cupboard underneath to ensure the food remained hot in transit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Steve J,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, and great to read you enjoyed our facilities and the little extra touches that make staying with us a truly 5 star experience. We would have to agree, our buffet breakfast is very popular, both with guests staying with us and local Melbournians enjoying a luxurious treat on the weekend. We hope that you choose to stay with us again when you next visit Melbourne.
sydney, aus
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Great hotel with truly exceptional service. I was blown away by the staff, this is how staying in a hotel should be. The Grand Hyatt is in an excellent location with great facilities. Our room was very pleasantly furnished and had a good view. I enjoyed my stay here and will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear marniemac
It’s great to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us! We pride ourselves on our 5 star service, and providing exceptional service at every touchpoint, so it is great to read that we are delivering the Hyatt experience to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Melbourne.
Cairns
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the hotel during the Melbourne Cup racing carnival 2012. What can I say. The hotel and its facilities was matched only by the quality of the service. We were met at the entrance by George, the doorman whose welcome and subsequent follow up advice regarding places to visit and the means of getting around were as good if not better as any I have experienced around the world. He could not have been more helpful. Thank you George. The pleasantness, helpfulness and efficiency of the reception staff was also outstanding.

Service in the restaurant and function rooms was also outstanding. I did not meet one member of staff who was not pleasant whilst serving us. Many hotels succeed in getting many of their staff to have the right attitude. Rarely do they succeed in having all doing so. This hotel certainly did.

We had a 26th floor room with a view over Melbourne and beautifully laid our. The only downside was that our busy schedule meant we didn't get to spend as much time as we would have liked "soaking it up". I will stay again on my next trip to Melbourne.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CairnsOConnors,
Staying at Grand Hyatt Melbourne during a major event such as Melbourne Cup is a fantastic experience, we would have to agree. The city is abuzz with excitement, there’s lots happening when you are out and about, and then it is wonderful to return to the hotel and your room and relax in an oasis of tranquillity. We have brought the exceptional service of George to our Front Office management team for congratulation and recognition – we are very proud to have a great team of hospitality professionals providing exceptional service every day to our guests. We look forward to seeing you again soon – perhaps even for a relaxing weekend!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The hotelbwas centrally located in the heart of CBD, very near to all the shopping centres, boutiques and good restaurants. The hotel's lobby, bars, restaurants and common areas were elegantly designed with muted tones and quality materials.

The room was opulent, spacious and very clean. Everything in the room was tastefully decorated. The king-sized bed was huge, firmly soft and luxuriously comfortable, with lush and plush pillows, assuring a good night's sleep.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank explore2000
Dear Dtc2011,
It’s great to read that you appreciated the little extra touches of luxury and refinement that make our hotel a Grand Hyatt. We put a lot of thought into the small details when we redesigned the rooms such as luxurious fabrics, contemporary colour schemes, right down to quality Sealy posturpedic beds to ensure a great night’s sleep. We do hope that you choose to stay with us again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I am a frequent visitor of the Grand Hyatt and am happy to say this visit was virtually flawless.

Beginning with the wonderful George. I had never driven my car before and as soon as I pulled over in the driveway, George opened my door and assisted me out of my car while offering me the warmest greeting I have experienced at the Hyatt (all are great but George was expceptional).He took care of my bags and wished me a wonderful stay.

When I checked in, Emily instantly recognised me and warmly welcomed me back. I was escorted up to level 31 to the club lounge as my room wasn't quite ready (I arrived very early).

The only minor issue here was that I wasn't notified when my room was ready and was kept waiting almost 4 hours, not really a major issue though when the food, drinks and view are plentiful and spectacular I finally asked if it was ready and the lovely woman on the desk was very apologetic and finalised my check-in.

Everything was spectacular from the view to the level of serivce. The only downside was that the macaroons I had ordered online through the e-concierge were not provided. When I called downstaris to inquire, I was told that they did not have the request, despite my giving a confirmation number on the email. No offer to rectify the situation was made just an "I'm sorry". However, these things happen and all in all, this was very minor and I will learn not to order through the e-concierge again.

I love this hotel, it is luxury at its best and when you are lucky enough to book the right weekend and get the right staff on duty, it really makes for a wonderful stay.

The room was lovely and the view spectacular, the noise is still an issue, loud conversations from outside my room could be heard at all hours. On the Sunday morning, I had to go and ask the people chatting loudly to please keep the noise down - 6am on a Sunday was just too much!!! There was a problme with the coffee not being re-stocked, but one call downstairs and the problem was fixed in a matter of 5 minutes!!

The ameneties were a little stingy this time, I had gotten used to not needing to pack many toiletries when visiting the Hyatt but needed to call downstaris for a toothbrush and showercap. Again, not an issue and the supplies were brought instantly.

I ate breakfast in the club lounge each day and although they dont offer the usual bacon, eggs and so on, the spread was more than adequate, the juices, coffee, fresh meats and baked goodies were deliciously fresh and made for a great start to the day. Not to mention the afternoon/evening canopes and refreshments!!!!

Typing the review makes me want to check in again sooner rather than later!!!

Room Tip: If you have the extra $$ or Hyatt points, make use of the Club lounge - very worthwhile..
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear AlisonD75
It’s wonderful to read how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us! We have brought the exemplary service provided by George and Emily to the attention of our Front Office management team for congratulation and recognition. We pride ourselves on our 5 star service, and it is great to be able to recognise individuals such as George and Emily who go above and beyond to provide truly exceptional service. We’re sorry to read, however, of your less than perfect interactions regarding your e-concierge experiences. We have raised this with our Front Office management team for review and action. We look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Melbourne soon!