“Luxurious & relaxing stay in the heart of the city!”

Grand Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #24 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The room was very luxurious and comfortable. The king size bed was great. View of the city was nice to wake up to in the morning. The absolute highlight was their buffet breakfast! Amazing! Everything you could want for a lazy morning meal. Parking was the only confusing part, eventually found that it was cheaper to park at the multi-story park next door rather than have valet parking at the hotel. We went out for dinner (elsewhere) and returned to the bar downstairs which was very relaxed and a great atmosphere to end our evening. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2012
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear emm4_11,
We would certainly agree – the buffet breakfast in Collins Kitchen is a wonderful way to start your day! With an emphasis on locally sourced Victorian produce, cooked before your eyes in our open Kitchen, it is a great celebration of everything breakfast should be. We are looking forward to seeing you soon.

There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt Melbourne

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I recently stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Melbourne on a business trip. The room was OK, whilst the gym & swimming pool were excellent - the former the best I've seen at a hotel. However, what really irritated me was that neither wifi or breakfast was included in the price, despite my being on a corporate rate. The cost of the wifi was outrageous - A$29+ per day!! That's more than most Aussies pay in a month. Having recently returned from the US where free wifi is standard, I found this particularly galling. Also, the room service menu was limited and not of a standard I'd expect for a 5 star hotel. Furthermore, it took me 4 attempts before anyone picked up the phone to take my order and that was despite calling the reception, concierge and room service extensions!

1  Thank buaya65

Dear buaya65,
It’s great to hear you enjoyed our gym and pool area – we are very fortunate to have a full sized fitness centre complete with exercise machines, pin loaded resistance machines and free weights, not to mention the exercise studios and spin classes on site that are the envy of many professional gyms. However we’re sorry to read that you were disappointed that wifi was not included in your room rate. These days internet access, whether through laptop, tablet or smart phone is a necessity for travellers, not a luxury service. We are currently in the process of a major review of our wifi provision throughout the hotel and certainly take your feedback on board.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

A Club room at the Grand Hyatt, hailing to the heyday of 'Dallas' from its golden exterior, is my first choice for any stay in Melbourne. The service is consistently exceptional, the facilities modern and the rooms a quiet calm. The renovation process, recently completed, meant more noise at times but never affected the smooth sailing on any of my visits. Rooms are certainly smaller than some alternatives, such as the Crown, but some clever design more than accommodates.
Service in the Club Lounge is attentive and polite - the view over the city at night is spectacular, the hors d'oeuvres delicious and clearly the work of a high grade team in the kitchen.
I can't think of a single thing I would change - perfect!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GrandHyattMelbourne, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear QF1A,
There is certainly something about those 24K gold windows stretching up to the sky that make Grand Hyatt Melbourne a truly iconic Melbourne hotel. But it really is what’s inside that makes our hotel truly special. Our staff from top to bottom work really hard to provide truly exceptional service, and it is great to read that your experience staying with us reflects this. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I booked in here for one night as it was a last minute trip, and many of Melbourne's other hotels were fully booked. But as it happens, it was one of the best hotel stays I've had in quite a while!

As it was a last minute booking, I managed to get a very good rate. The room was a very large one bedroomed (with seperate living & dining room), and two bathrooms. Views stretched out across the city.

Very impressed with the room service menu. Large choice - and prices are relatively cheap as hotel food prices go.

Staying in the Grand Hyatt Melbourne is a prime example why Melbourne is always voted one of the most liveable cities in the world. I wanted to move in and stay for good!

Room Tip: Choose views across to the Botanical Gardens. You'll see the main highlights of the city from hi...

Dear Travelexpertdotcom,
It’s great to read that you found our rooms so comfortable and liveable that you wanted to move in! It is a true compliment, not just to the décor, but to the warm and welcoming atmosphere created by our staff. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, and we certainly do hope you choose to stay with us again next time your visit our exciting and beautiful city.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Grand Hyatt on Collins St is my hotel of choice in Melbourne. I love the location, the ambiance and have never had a really bad experience with staff. Because of these pluses I can overlook a few less than perfect things. The coffee always takes ages in the morning at breakfast in the restaurant (but the food - especially the granola is great), yes the plumbing is noisy and the sound of other guests opening and closing doors can be annoying. My last stay was a bit disappointing. I was on a really high floor and had a room which had an interconnecting door. The guest in the room next to mine snored so loudly and the walls were so thin I had to wear ear plugs! I must have pulled them out during the night cos next thing I was awoken by the same guest having a conference call at 3 am!! This happened three nights in a row and really was annoying but the thought of going through the hassle of moving to another room was just too much. Anyway I have requested my profile record not to put me in an interconnecting room again so hopefully problem solved. I will still be going back though as most everything else is great.

Dear Leigh M,
It’s wonderful to read how much you enjoy staying with us - Grand Hyatt Melbourne is in a perfect location to explore all the great things Melbourne has to offer. However it is disappointing to hear that your recent stay was marred by noise issues from the adjoining room. We have noted in your profile your preference for a room without interconnecting door which we hope will alleviate any issues for your next stay.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Very impressive breakfast buffet, selection of every imaginable cuisine in a very beautiful interior. Joined overseas guests for a sumptuous feast! Think pastry bar, charcuterie, yum cha kitchen, traditional breakfast cooked, fruit nuts and yoghurt, hot chocolate. It is like a sophisticated market place and it has a great atmosphere.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Sue S

Dear Sue S,
We definitely agree – the Breakfast offering in our Collins Kitchen restaurant is second to none. With the large open kitchen, an emphasis on locally sourced Victorian produce and everything cooked fresh in front of you, the hardest choice is what to eat first! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Was there only for a night stay just to relax and to unwind after going out with mates on a Saturday night, the front desk clerk was very friendly and even helped me when I had a problem with my credit card and gave me access to the Internet in their business room to take care of my credit card, I booked the Grand View King and the room was immaculate, clean and above all helped me unwind a bit more than usual. The Bath and Shower were also clean and immaculate. The Hotel Restaurant is what makes the hotel really shine, the food was every bit worth the $81 i spent on my dinner there, the food was cooked to perfection and the dessert was just divine!!!!.

Definitely cannot wait to come back to Melbourne and in particular to the Grand Hyatt cause it's worth the money for the service, great food and above all the love of Melbourne cause it captures that in abundance!!!

Room Tip: Grand View King is always the better room!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear Antony V,

We would have to agree that our Collins Kitchen restaurant is one of Melbourne’s hidden treasures. With an emphasis on locally sourced produce cooked before your eyes in the open show kitchen, it really is a great place to experience the best of Victorian food. We hope to see you back again soon!