“High standards except for one employee”

Grand Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #23 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth
“High standards except for one employee”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We visited Melbourne a couple of weeks ago and stayed at the Grand Hyatt for four nights in a Club Room. On arrival the young doorman was very polite and helpful. The Club Lounge checking was very smooth and although we were given the wrong room number the young lady from reception came up to where we were and rectified the key problem and we all laughed. The Club Lounge is very good at breakfast I asked for Gluten Free bread even though I had forgotten to request when booking the staff member was able to provide me with Gluten Free bread for toasting. I was really impressed. The staff in the Club Lounge were very friendly and professional. The cleaning staff also clean the rooms to a higher standard. The decor of the room is pleasant just the table a little worn and the bathroom basin a little worn.
We checked out and the staff in the Club Lou ge were very quick and polite. However when we went to the exit and stood in the queue for a taxi the doorman was not polite or professional. There were tow women at the fron of the queue and then my hubby and I were next a man and his family came up and the doorman started to organize a taxi for the man that was in fact third in the queue. The lady at the front of the queue asked if he would hail a taxi for her and he hailed two taxi's instead of three (perhaps my hubby and I are invisible) I then asked him if he would hail me a taxi also and he ignored me. As the taxi's were queued up waiting to be hailed I asked him again if he could hail a taxi for me, he abruptly replied Wait! I'm trying to serve this man. Well as we
live in a country that serves the next person in a queue not the next male I was very offended, I completed the survey sent by the hotel two weeks ago and provided feedback and I have not received any reply.

Room Tip: Non smokers tip: don't use the entrance off level two reception as the long covered entrance is...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marg10Perth
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear Marg10Perth,
It’s great to read you enjoyed your stay with us and found our rooms comfortable and pleasant to stay in . We would have to agree – having Grand Club access makes your stay that much more comfortable, being able to relax in the Club Lounge during the day, and the added convenience of checking in and out via the Club Lounge. We’re sorry to hear that you experienced below par service from our Bell staff on leaving the hotel. This is certainly not the 5 star standard of service we pride ourselves on, and we can assure you that it was certainly an exception. We have raised this lapse in service standards with our Front Office management team for review and training. We do hope that the problems you experienced did not mar your stay with us, and that you choose to stay with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night for business in August 2012. The room was arranged for me so I don't know the room rate and can't comment on value for money. I attended a dinner meeting in one of the function rooms the night of my stay and had breakfast in the hotel restaurant, Collins Kitchen, the next morning.

The hotel is located centrally in the Melbourne CBD and within walking distance to visitor attractions along the Yarra River such as Southbank and the Arts Centre. Every public area in the hotel was beautifully decorated and there were flowers everywhere. The ambience was unbeatable.

The room was large and spacious with lovely city views from the room and views over the Yarra from the window at the lift lobby. The bathroom was very well equipped with padded hangers, weighing scales, hair dryer, fluffy bathrobes and slippers as well as a nice selection of bathroom toiletries.

Highlights of my stay were the service and my breakfast experience. Everywhere I went I encountered polite and gracious service. I stopped to admire some little biscuits a chef in the restaurant was baking and he immediately offered me two to try. Those little chocolatey morsels still warm from the oven made my day.

The buffet breakfast served in the restaurant was delicious, imaginative and varied. Collins Kitchen has an open kitchen concept so you could see the chefs chopping and preparing the food you were about to eat. Servings were generous.

The hotel only scored 4/5 for the following reasons:
1) The bed was large and roomy but it was also too soft, saggy and lumpy. The pillows were numerous but flat. I woke up with neck and back pains the next morning.
2) The water pressure in the bath was too low and it took a very long time to fill the bath. I didn't use the shower.
3) The meal I had at the dinner function was boring, somewhat bland and over-cooked.

Tips for improvement?
I would have loved to see some name brand toiletries such as Aveda, Molton Brown etc. Such touches would have made the experience complete.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Rldot1,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. It’s great to read of your enjoyment of the open kitchen concept in our restaurant Collins Kitchen. When we redesigned our restaurant space, our main priority was to create a warm friendly and welcoming space which encouraged our guests to become part of the kitchen space, and interact with our chefs who use the kitchen as a work environment. It is particularly pleasing to read how much you enjoyed the open kitchen. Regarding the water pressure, we have raised this with our Engineering team for review, as well as informed our Housekeeping team regarding your below par bedding. We certainly value your comments and feedback, and hope that you choose to stay with us again when you next visit Melbourne.
Sydney
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for the first time over the 3, 4 & 5th of August. From the moment I made my booking over the phone with them it was a fabulous experience. We booked a Grand Club room as in the past when I travelled for work, the executive floors and club always made such a positive difference to my stay. I had requested a corner room which I got, I mentioned it was my birthday and there was champagne on arrival and the Grand Club Room was absolutely fabulous. I have never seen such generosity or delicious food. My partner was beside himself on what was on offer. We run our own business and do a lot of work even when travelling for pleasure. Having the Club lounge to go to all though the day with all that it offered, really helped make our stay. The view is wonderful, staff attentive and helpful, The gym is also fantastic and just a plug for Grace on reception who greeted us with such charm and warmth on arrival. Thank you to all!

Room Tip: grand club room definitely and use the Grand Club room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MsVeryFussy
Dear MsVeryFussy
Being able to relax and unwind in the Grand Club really does make your stay that little bit extra special – and the views from the 31st floor are jaw dropping, especially at night! We’re really glad you were able to enjoy all that was on offer in the Grand Club, and we would definitely agree that upgrading your room to have Club access is well worth it. We are looking forward to being able to spoil you on your next visit to Grand Hyatt Melbourne!
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The renovations have revitalised the lobby area and the foyer bar is well worth a visit. The rooms are a good size and all the amenities expected in a 5 star hotel are provided. The hotel is well located for both business and leisure travellers. It is relatively expensive, but you are paying for the Collins St address. Staff were helpful and

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Dear AngelaSch,
We think that our bar, ruco, is one of Melbourne’s hidden secrets – it is well worth a visit! Boasting an impressive wine wall, as well as a long list of decadent cocktails, it is definitely a great place to celebrate or even just enjoy a quiet drink with friends. We’re glad to read that you had a comfortable stay with us, and we hope to welcome you back to Grand Hyatt Melbourne soon.
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Recently renovated hotel with beautiful lobby and not overly large, but well appointed rooms with spectacular views from the higher floors. Stayed on their club/ executive lounge level which had some nice added benefits.

Very convenient for anyone wanting to see the attractions of Melbourne's city centre from restaurants and cafes to shopping or for those on business - in the thick of things near the Paris-end of Collins Street. Next door to KPMG Melbourne. Down the street from Movida and Ezards.

Service was efficient and polite. Excellent gym.

Can't really go wrong booking this hotel for business or leisure if you want to be in the heart of the city with all it's attractions.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DFRF6875
DFRF6875,
We would have to agree, Grand Hyatt Melbourne is in a great location to explore all that the city offers. Everything you could want is just a short stroll away – shopping, theatres, funky bars, great restaurants, and even catching a game at the MCG. It’s good to see you enjoyed your stay with us, and found our rooms comfortable – and the views from the Grand Club lounge really do make a stay with us that little bit extra special. We’d love to welcome you back next time you visit Melbourne.
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. Friendly and excellent service from the frontdesk reception. Quick check-in and check-out, hassle free.
Super nice quilt and very good night sleep in the king bed. Marvellous marble floor bathroom with very nice bath and a shower cubicle, though the water pressure in the shower is poor.
Breakfast buffet was ok...not as impressive Intercontinental hotel in KL.
Valet parking was provided, very courteous and efficient staff. very happy with my stay with them.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Shopgirl737,
Thank you for your review – we pride ourselves on our 5 star service, and it is wonderful to read that our Front Desk staff provided a smooth and efficient check in and check out for your stay. We have raised the low water pressure in your shower with our Engineering team for investigation. We hope that next time you visit Melbourne you choose to stay with us.
Yarragon, Australia
Reviewed August 20, 2012

If nothing else, the Grand Hyatt is worth it for the spectacular views it affords! That's certainly not the only advantage of staying here, however. The rooms are spacious, the staff extremely helpful and the location brilliant. I must confess that the prices are well over what we'd usually fork out (we were there for a conference) but if you feel like a splurge, it's a good way to go. Other bonuses included a really peaceful night's sleep - comfy beds and proper blackout curtains - and a delicious and varied breakfast (I would have liked to see more options you could just help yourself to, and less that you had to have cooked for you, but that's obviously a minor quibble). Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear authorgirl,
Having spectacular views of Melbourne city spread before your feet as you gaze out the floor to ceiling windows in your room certainly adds something extra special to your stay. Grand Hyatt Melbourne is in a perfect location for shopping, theatres or even a game at the MCG! It’s great to see you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.