“More than a few hiccups”

Grand Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #23 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“More than a few hiccups”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I arrived for a 2 night stay on Thursday 2nd August. Check in was a breeze and the young lady on the front desk was delightful.(I wish I had taken note of her name) She was beyond professional and her manner was of the highest standard.

I was treated to a room on the 27th floor and had a magestic view of the beautiful city!!!

There was a hiccup with my bags - it took well over an hour (and 2 calls to the front desk) to have my bags brought up to me but the young man who brought them up was polite enough and professional.

Then came the noise!!!!! A hideous noise began from the heating vent, a loud screeching sound that was loud enogh to wake the dead!!!! it took half an hour for engineering to investigate and by the time they arrived, the noise had stopped (typically) he still looked for the source and suggested I either turn the heater off (WHAT!!!!) or call back if the noise starts up again. (I left the heater off and froze for 2 nights).

Room service dinner was lovely, the steak is simply divine and cooked to absolute perfection!!! Delivery was friendly but not up to the standard from my previous stay in March.

Later in the evening, I ordered dessert which took almost an hour to arrive, by which time, my coffee was almost cold, ice-cream melted and the meagre "cookie" scattered arround the dry inedible cake was a real let down. The young woman who delivered the tray was disinterested in my complaint of cold coffee - she simply advised "it was just made" and left. VERY disappointing for a hotel of such standard!!

On a high note, the room was lovely, unlike my last stay, not a sound could be heard from inside my room even though I was placed next to the service area, (having turned off the terrible noisy heater) it was quiet and spectacular. The bed was so huge and so soft, I was reluctant to leave and was wanting to take advantage of the late check-out offered and avoid my business conference!!!!

The lady on the desk at check out Saturday morning (Kate I think it was) was also delightful, very friendly and willing to seek assistance for me with my bags and a cab. She explained my bill and wished my a very warm farewll with a kind "we hope to see you again soon".

Sadly, there were more lows than highs this time around, I was sorry that the wonderful Emily and Vlad were nowhere to be seen this time around. Apart from the lovely young ladies at the desk on check-in and check out,the service standards have dropped considerably and it dampened my stay.

Would I come back?? I doubt it, I expected much better and am sad to say, while the surroundings are simply divine, the service standards do not match...Next time, in October, I will probably stay at the Langham unless I am guaranteed 100% improvement on the service!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor - well worth it for spectacular views!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank AlisonD75
GrandHyattMelbourne, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear AlisonD,
Thank you for your feedback and direct comments about your stay. We’re glad you found our Front Desk staff pleasant, helpful and courteous on check in. And we would have to agree – the views are just amazing with the city of Melbourne spread out at your feet. However, we are disappointed to read that problems with the air conditioning and Room Service quality and service fell way below par during your stay with us. It is certainly not the 5 star service we strive for, and definitely not indicative of our commitment to our guests. Our Engineering team have been briefed regarding the air conditioning unit in your room, and are in the process of giving the unit a complete overhaul to prevent any future problems. Our Room Service management team have been made aware of the service issues you experienced for review and appropriate training. We hope that you do choose to stay with us again, giving us an opportunity to provide you with authentic hospitality and the 5 star service you would expect from Hyatt.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights on business in a Club Room on the 32nd floor. Hotel was in great location and room was very comfortable with a great view. When I arrived I went to have a shower and the hot water took ages to heat up. I also thought the shower floor was a bit slippery, and the door handle a bit dangerous. Use of the club lounge was well used, was also comfortable with a nice view. Not very busy when I used it, and the canapés in the evening were delicious, good selection for continental breakfast too. Would stay here again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GrandHyattMelbourne, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear DownUnderDude,
Taking the opportunity to relax in the Grand Club lounge with a glass of wine and a delicious nibble, the lights of Melbourne twinkling at your feet at the end of the day is definitely to be encouraged! It certainly makes travelling for business (or leisure) a much more comfortable experience. We have raised your concerns regarding the safety of the shower area with our Engineering team for review – we appreciate the feedback. Good to hear you enjoyed your stay and will choose to stay with us again!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We celebrated our Wedding Anniversary at this property. From the moment we arrived, we felt like VIP's, service was fantastic. Our room was available and our bag arrived as we entered the room. Everyone was so friendly and helpful, a lovely weekend, thankyou.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear fernski63,
It’s great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We’re pleased to read that at every point, we were able to make your stay a little bit special, and help you celebrate your anniversary in Grand style. We hope to see you again soon!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This hotel is very central, well run by friendly efficient staff and hasa friendly Irish barman who could tell you a story or two. The room I stayed in was large for such a central location, well appointed with a massive, very comfortable bed. (Loved the little LED reading lamps to spotlight a book when reading in bed, nice touch, I will be looking for something similar for my place).
The bathroom was luxurious, marble everything, nice bath big seperate shower.
My only complaint was I wasn't staying there longer, loved it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
GrandHyattMelbourne, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear glasseyed,
There can be sometimes nothing better than relaxing in a comfortable King sized bed with heaps of feather pillows and a good book. We put a lot of thought into the little extra touches such as dedicated reading lights in our guest rooms. It’s great to read you enjoyed our bar ruco – we think it is definitely one of Melbourne’s best kept secrets! We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!
Northern Territtory
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Traveled to Melbourne for work. Had a conference at the hotel. Seemed to be very well organised. Started on the 8th floor, room was nice a clean. But discovered a loud noise, took me a while to work out what it was........lifts, the noise was terrible. I called the front desk and was moved to the 16th floor within about 10 minutes, which was great. Overall the breakfast in the Collins kitchen was beautiful, so many choices. Very short walk to Bourke street mall. Overall great stay in a lovely clean and organised hotel. We go back for sure!!!

Room Tip: Ask to have a room away from the lifts
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear 09carly09,
Thank you for your review, and it’s good to read that you enjoyed your stay with us – we certainly do pride ourselves on our 5 star service and great to hear we delivered to your expectations. We are sorry to hear that lift noise disrupted your stay – we will certainly raise this issue with our Engineering team for review. It is good to read that a prompt and satisfactory solution was found, and that the lift noise didn’t detract from your overall positive experience staying with us.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

Everything about the room here was great, good size, comfy bed, great quality Tv, close to everything.
Have to moan a bit about the lobby restaurant, mediocre food & not very good service, it was done by young very inexperienced staff who bordered on rude at times. If it was cheap one may have overlooked this, but it's not.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank PeggyHarry1
Dear peggyHarry1,
It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and were able to enjoy the little extra touches of luxury in our guestrooms. We would have to agree that Grand Hyatt Melbourne is in a great location – just a short stroll away from theatres, shopping, even the MCG if you are in town to catch a big game. I’m sorry to hear that you found the food & service in our lobby restaurant not up to scratch – we have raised this with our Collins Kitchen management team for immediate review and training. We hope that you will consider staying with us on a return to Melbourne.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

Brilliant hotel, impeccable service, probably the best club sandwich and best scrambled eggs I've ever had! Good centralized location in the city and looks like the management have constantly updated in keeping with trends

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank wasimmehr
Dear wasimmehr,
We would agree, our chefs certainly know how to make a great Club sandwich - definitely one of those special treats to indulge in when staying at Grand Hyatt Melbourne. It’s wonderful to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to welcome you back soon!