“Exceeded expectations”

Grand Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #23 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had to visit Melbourne along (63 yo female) and stayed in a club room. The room was really comfortable and roomy with everything you could need (except wifi). Room service food was prompt, delicious and very well priced. The club room breakfast (included in the rate) was very good, and the service in all areas - food, reception, doormen etc, was brilliant. I would have no hesitation staying there again and recommending it to anyone else. It is very close to the city centre, theatres and restaurants. Taxis are a "whistle blow" away..

Room Tip: Club rooms are on highest floor and give you access to the club lounge for continental breakfast, co...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
GrandHyattMelbourne, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2012

Dear KerryM21,
Thank you for your comments – it is wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. The breakfast in Grand Club Lounge is the perfect start to the day as you look out over the city from the 31st floor and watch Melbourne come to life. Grand Hyatt Melbourne prides itself on authentic hospitality and we’re most pleased that your dealings with the staff were superlative on all levels. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us soon!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here for two nights with one of my friends on a girls trip to Melboune in April. It was fabulous! Walking distance to central Melboune, heaps of places to eat. Our room was accross the road from Elephant and Wheelbarrow (awesome pub), so it was a little noisy, but nothing dreadful. Fabulous curtains which totally blocked out the light, allowing us to sleep in. Staff were friendly enough, hotel was clean. Our room was on the 11th floor, and pretty cheap, so bathroom was a bit old with a shower over the bathtub, but not a big deal. Good value for money- left more $$ for shopping :)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Miriam A

Dear miriam a,
Thank you for your kind review – however we don’t think you are describing Grand Hyatt Melbourne? Our hotel is located at 123 Collins Street, and The Elephant & Wheelbarrow is on the corner of Bourke and Exhibition street which is two blocks north of us. That said, it is great to hear that you enjoyed your trip to Melbourne, even if you didn’t stay with us.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

lets start with the location, it is just so perfect for business or holiday. transport links a plenty and federation square just a few blocks away. i stayed on the 23rd floor, excellent spacious room with a view with a lounge. bed was so, so comfortable as you would expect of Hyatt. Staff excellent and when i arrived at 8am - an early check-in was granted. thank-you Hyatt!

Room Tip: pay the extra for a high floor room with a view
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Dear Travelduesouth,
Thank you for your review! Grand Hyatt Melbourne is in a great location – so handy for business, shopping, dining and a night out at the theatre – everything is at your fingertips! We look forward to welcoming you back soon – whether for business or leisure!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Having stayed in various 5 star hotels in Melbourne, I was expecting the usual level of service from a global brand such as the Hyatt, i am happy to say my recent stay here was my single best experience I've ever encountered with a hotel, anywhere. My partner and I left the next morning feeling wonderfully appeased and relaxed, while this was expected to a certain degree, we did not expect this.
My partner and I initially booked the Hyatt to celebrate our anniversary, we planned to see some friends and had booked an equally lovely restaurant nearby for the occasion. On check-in the gentlemen welcomed myself and my partner and wished us a happy anniversary (I asked for a nice view of the city for this special occasion prior to booking), it was nice to see that somebody had taken the time to actually read this request, not only was it fulfilled but we learned that they had upgraded us to a Grand Suite! In addition to this fabulous upgrade they gifted us a bottle of sparking wine to celebrate the special occasion. The look on my partners face when she stepped inside the room and saw the level 30 view? Priceless.
The hotel itself is grand but beautifully spaced out, upon check-in there were only 2 employees manning reception, while I've read that many others complained because it seemed like they were understaffed, i personally think this was deliberate as to not intimidate guests upon arrival. The room was breathtakingly beautiful, the decor is unmistakeably masculine with modern touches which I enjoyed. The bathrooms were spotless with numerous amenities, i particularly appreciated that they stocked Colgate toothpaste within one of the kits as I always forget to pack toothpaste. The bed and pillows were heavenly.
Needless to say, we cancelled our dinner reservations, bought take-away and watched movies the rest of the evening. Upon closer inspection of the desk we found a card hand written by the assistant front office manager wishing us a happy anniversary.
I'd like to personally thank Maricel, Jet and Kitty for making our stay that little more special, truly 5 star service.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Clipse
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Dear Clipse,
It is so great to hear we exceeded your expectations on every level, and made your anniversary stay with us truly memorable. The little touches can mean so much, and we will certainly acknowledge Maricel, Jet and Kitty for helping make your weekend extra extra special. There isn’t a better perch in town to view Melbourne’s breathtaking skyline and celebrate such a momentous occasion. We look forward to your next stay with us – whether another grand affair, or just a relaxing weekend break. Happy Anniversary!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times and have been impressed each time. My wife and i decided to have a weekend away in Melbourne for some shopping, restaurants, bars and time together. we got an Grand view room and were given a corner room that enhanced the view of the city. the room was clean with a great L shaped lounge that allowed you to sit and relax and watch TV and admire the view. The bed was very comfortable and a great choice of pillows. the only draw back was you could hear the noise from the hallway and other rooms at times, especially when toilets are flushed. We used the gym and this is a fully appointed full size Gym with top of the line equipment, studio rooms with exercise classes and pool. Great bar downstairs. We were disappointed that on the Saturday night all food service ceased at 10.30pm and we returned from a show, along with several other people, wanting an evening drink and some nibbles and no food was available. i thought this was unacceptable for a five star hotel in an entertainment precinct on a Saturday night. Overall a great stay with great service.

Room Tip: request a corner suite or room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amsam

Dear amsam,
It is good to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us – our location, 5-star facilities, luxe rooms and sweeping views are hard to beat. However we are disappointed to hear that extraneous noise and the unavailability of late-evening refreshments tainted your stay. We have raised the noise problems you experienced with our Engineering team for further review. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I recently stayed for three nights at the Grand Hyatt.
Hotel was chosen mainly for the convenient location.
Staff were friendly and helpful, room was on the 20th floor. Bathroom supplies and tea and coffee supplies were very generous and of good quality.
But I would not stay again due to the noisy rooms! The doors all seemed to slam shut, the noise in the corridor was unbearable at times, I could hear the people chatting in the next room, but the most annoying noise was bathroom use noise! I could hear when other guests used their showers and their toilets. If I am paying for an expensive room I do not want to hear someone using their toilet and then flushing it!
I was overcharged for my room and this has taken four days to sort out.
I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Alex E

Dear ALEllis,
Thank you for your candid review. We agree that Grand Hyatt Melbourne is lucky to be positioned in the heart of the bustling city centre and boast such great facilities.
However we have highlighted your concern regarding the hotel noise levels and that this marred your overall experience. Rest assured, our Engineering Team is looking into this. I know our Front Office team have been in touch with you personally, and we have added a note to your profile for a quiet room for your next stay. We do hope that you will reconsider staying with us again.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Melbourne is my hometown, my husband and I planned a weekend in the city and chose to stay at the Grand Hyatt. We went to drop our bags off at 10am intending to come back at 2pm to check-in. We were pleased to find that a room was already available and we were able to check-in immediately. Great service, especially since we didn't ask if an early check-in was possible. We stayed in a king room which was more than big enough for the two of us, if we were staying for longer it also would have been more than adequate. Plenty of room for bags and the small table and couch was a welcome addition to the standard hotel room. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was huge, with separate shower and bath. We didnt eat in the restaurants, but did go to the Ruco bar for drinks before going to dinner elsewhere. The bar is a lovely, great place to relax after a day of shopping or sightseeing. The drink prices were as you would expect in a hotel bar, however I think the service was lacking (perhaps they were short-staffed?). It was certainly not of the same high standard we experienced everywhere else in the hotel. This did not affect our stay, but the long wait time to get a drink and lack of table service may be an issue if experienced repeatedly over a longer stay.

Room Tip: The hotel is centrally located so all rooms have interesting views of Melbourne.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear SBBMelbourne,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Grand Hyatt Melbourne. It is great to hear you found our hospitality exceeded your expectations especially when it came to early check-in – if we have the rooms available we certainly try our best to get you into a room as soon as possible.
Ideal for a pre-dinner drink, ru-co is our award-winning bar. We are disappointed to hear that the service was not up to scratch and assure you that this is an exception and not the norm.
However we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.