“Great friendly and efficient service”

Grand Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #23 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Melbourne recently for a conference that my company was sponsoring. The staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient from greeting me upon my arrival, looking after my luggage, checking me in quickly and then delivering my luggage to the room. Room service staff were always friendly and helpful on the other end of the phone (thank you for recommending the chocolate cake - it was divine!) and the room was immaculately cleaned during the day. Would definitely recommend and will definitely be returning again soon.

Room Tip: Try the chocolate cake on the room service menu - delicious!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank nicnacc
Management response:Responded July 8, 2012

Dear nicnacc
Thanks for your kind comments and we’re glad that your experience at Grand Hyatt Melbourne was friendly, professional and efficient. There’s nothing quite like the ultimate indulgence after a hard day’s work – relaxing in the comfort of our luxe rooms and ordering Room Service!
We can’t wait to welcome you back for business or leisure.

There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt Melbourne

Reviewed June 6, 2012

I did not get that 5 star feeling.( a lot of noise from other rooms) great view from room nice size room (mattress sag down one side lol) bathroom a 5 star .the swipe cards in lifts were not working so peopole getting on and off at different floors (very funny)very dark lobby, good position in city ,

Room Tip: high floor good view at night
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
GrandHyattMelbourne, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Dear nhaga41
We appreciate your honest feedback as we are dedicated to delivering a 5-star premium experience to our guests at Grand Hyatt Melbourne and strive to improve where we fall short. It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed here back in 2010 with my mum and daughter, and we all enjoyed the Hyatt.

I managed to get a WotMysteryDeal on Wotif for $199 (room only) and was very happy it turned out to be at the Hyatt again, this time as a trip with my husband for his birthday.

Valet parking was great, and check-in swift and friendly. They had noted my request for a high floor and we were on floor 32, and we were also granted a late checkout of 1pm which was very nice.

The Hyatt has now been fully refurbished, and the room was lovely - I especially like the the fact they have the corner lounge and table. The bathrooms are pure luxury - all marble and fully appointed.

As with most five star hotels, it is the little touches that make it great. Two complimentary bottles of water are included per room, and things like a nesrpesso machine, lovely T2 flavours of tea, a drawer of full stemware glasses for wine, champange and spirits, and bathrobes and slippers, are all great touches.

A very comfy king size bed, and my favourite thing is that the window dressings are layered with a pull down blind and proper blockout curtains - my hubby and I had a lovely sleep in the next morning with the annoying light leaks that many hotels have that wake you up at the crack of dawn.

The lobby area is gorgeous, and the hotel is really well located for walking to indulge in shopping or going down to south bank, and easy access to trams.

We enjoyed pre-dinner drinks at Ru-Co downstairs before venturing out to dine for the evening.

My only feedback would be that the rooms are VERY noisy from internal wall noises for plumbing in adjoining rooms which was annoying, and something I don't expect in a 5* hotel - I had thought this might have been isolated when I stayed there last time due to the renovations, but is still is an issue. As such, I would not be happy about paying any more than what I did for just the basic room.

But still, we had a lovely weekend, and another enjoyable trip to Melbourne!

Room Tip: Request a room on the higher floors, away from the lifts!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear LeeL96
What a glowing review and what a fabulous surprise!
Grand Hyatt Melbourne has come a long way in the wake of a massive refurbishment and is proud of all its luxe trimmings. It’s often the little things that make such a difference from the fluffy slippers to the late check-out.
However we appreciate your reference to the noise levels and will have this further investigated by our Engineering team.

In the meantime, we hope you choose us again for your next dalliance in Melbourne and perhaps save room for our Grand Afternoon Tea – it’s well worth it!

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Considering the price and the star rating of this hotel, I was extremely disappointed in the customer service. Staff were unwilling to help make my stay a comfortable one, the room was nice but not clean, and even after I had checked out and needed assistance regarding billing information, staff were clearly untrained and unwilling to help. The next week I stayed at the langham in southbank & their service was outstanding. Staff went to every length to ensure my stay was comfortable, in fact they went above and beyond. It really put into perspective what should be expected at these high class hotels and the Grand Hyatt is a hotel I would recommend NOT to stay in. I wrote a complaint to management and never recieved a response.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank kmg9
GrandHyattMelbourne, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Dear kmg9,

Thank you for your candid feedback.

Being a 5-star hotel we are responsible to deliver a premium experience for every guest at every touchpoint.

We are most disappointed to hear that not once but on numerous occasions you received second-rate service. Your feedback is taken most seriously as we endeavour to provide a premium first-class experience and assure you that the lapse in service is not indicative of our standards.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

Stayed with family for a special weekend. Booked four rooms, all rooms were perfect, no complaints with any areas of the room. Room amenities were of a high standard, great beds and pillows. Breakfast what else can you say but wonderful. Will stay again for the great service in all areas.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
GrandHyattMelbourne, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Dear da-da5,
It is great to hear you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us – this is definitely what we strive for in everything we do. We will keep working hard to maintain our high standards, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed here during the Mothers Day weekend. Check-in and check-out process was so smooth, staff were so friendly and helpful. Lobby area was grandeur, truly showing its class. Room was a bit smaller than expected, but the bathroom area is so vast with both shower and bath tub. Beds are very comfortable. What amazing is the location, which is right in central of Melbourne City. You can just walk to Collins Street boutiques and Federation Square shortly. There was a very hip restaurant nearby, Chin Chin that's worth trying.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Girlani,
We are very fortunate to be located right in the centre of the best Melbourne has to offer. Exploring the hidden treasures of Melbourne is definitely part of the fun when visiting such an exciting and bustling city! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to welcome you back soon in the first-class grandeur of our lobby,

Reviewed May 30, 2012

We used last minute.com and selected their 5* secret hotel. It ended up being this hotel. View from room wasn't bad considering price, we could see the Yarra and mcg, etc. Bed was lovely, bathroom had its own bath. Very clean. Buffet breakfast down stairs was $40 per person, $$$ but the huge selection was excellent. No lunch for us! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Sel15

Dear Sle15,
What a great mystery hotel deal! It’s good to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Our buffet Breakfast is certainly a great way to start the day and keep you going. We hope you choose to stay with us next time you need a last minute break!